Car from Sweden

i have one question....   i have/will move to kenya and i want to bring a car from sweden. What i understand i can bring one that they dont tax the hell out of and that one can be older then 8 years and so on....  that is is not the same rules as if i would buy/import a car from china....
I have to have owned the car for atleast 1 year that i know but what else do i need to think about?

Mattias

Matthias - you may import a car tax and duty free under the given international terms.Kenya has a age limit of 6 years and the car must be your private asset for at least 2 years. then you need a permit(class?) and don't bring a LDH - you will enjoy the kleptocracy at the Mombasa Port.
...and Volvo or Saab are not build for Africa.

papakilo_alfa

well we have alot of RHD cars in sweden and the are really cheap (no one wants them)... so i was thinking of buying a Volvo V40 RHD and store it in sweden and then import it to kenya...  will have (i hope) my class K permit soon.
And by the way Volvo is owned by China now and SAAB does not exist more :)
What happened with the 8 year limit? and does that limit apply for a car that i haved owned in sweden and want to bring here because i move here?

be vigilant - you are not the first muzungu with this brilliant calculation; buy cheap sell with a hefty mark-up and enjoy Mtwapa
Under Class K you are not allowed to earn any money here in this Republic ...and if you think to be smarter as the rest - deportation takes 24 hrs. the MSA car-selling racket has best connections to the immigration...
papakilo_alfa

Why would i sell it???   i will give it to my girl friend   and that will be a loss...  i dont want to drive here....  you all drive on the wrong side of the road :)....   and i have my salary outside of kenya so i dont have to make any cash here....   after 5 years in Brazil i have learn how to follow everything to the letter.....   i will never risk anything.

bravo - that is the right way to behave as a Muzungu role-model in Africa - to give the car to the girlfriend will be a loss forever - as they drive on the wrong side...

papakilo_alfa

Hi Mat.
The import rules are-No vehicle imports more than 8 years.
No left hand drive-and you should have owned the car for two years prior to importation.
All the best.

Many thanks for that answer...

have car that i would love to ship to kenya wonder hw!!is there any help ..ready for payement

hehehe,that conver was comedy to me