Hello! Anyone know how to get a documento di stato civile from the UK?

Hiya,

I'm British and I've moved to Rome and am trying to 'do the right thing' by becoming an officially registered human being.

And hoo boy, they don't make it easy do they? All the stories and stereotypes about the bureaucracy are true, and then some.

I went to the local Angrafe yesterday and was told I needed:

* Passport
* Evidence that I've got enough money
* Codice fiscale
* E106
* A "documento di stato civile"

The first three are easy enough. The E106 is the European health insurance transfer document which is now the S1. I only hope that the charming people in the office are aware of this, as the (quick and helpful) UK department are sending me one right now.

But the documento di stato civile? It's s document that says if you're married, divorced, widowed, single, etc. No such thing exists in the UK. You get a birth certificate or a marriage certificate (or a decree absolute) but not one that says "officially single".

Worse, I can't find any information at all anywhere.

So, has anyone else from the EU run across this requirement? What did you do? Can the British embassy help? Thanks for any info you might have for me.

Giacomo

The certificato di stato civile is used to show if you are married or unmarried, or widowed. Generally, you can submit a self-certification, but if they create you some problems I suggest you to go to the British Embassy in Rome to get a similar document.