When to resign? I am very confused.

Hi Everybody,

I have just bagged an offer for a job in KL. The company has applied for my EP and DP. I just wanted to know:
1. How long will this process take?
2. Is there any chance of rejection? Any idea if there are any major rejections happening?
3. When should I resign from my current job (notice period for me is 1 month). Is it okay if I resign before getting EP on the anticipation the I will get it? How logical it is?

Hi harsh6sigma,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

You may also have a look at other threads on the Kuala Lumpur visas forum.

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

Best of luck,
Christine

Dear Harsh

I have a very basic query:

The Company that I will be joining in KL, has aked me to attest photocopies of my educational certificates from Indian embassy/ Malaysian embassy.

I had a word with an agent in India and he told me a long procedure including thet my original document would be stamped by Malaysian Embassy (not xerox). He also quoted INR 1,800/- for one certificate.

I am unable to fathom this. Could you please through some light on this.

regards

The decision takes about 3 weeks to come through, but with potential backlog due to Hari Raya and Merdeka Day looming, it could take a little longer. 

You seem to already be in KL so it is a "journey done" situation?  Otherwise it is a two step process with the EP inserted into passport on arrival.

Yes there are some rejections based on availability of local labour to fill the vacancy, plus the company has to have a certain status (MSC) and amount of paid up capital to employ foreigners. Salary level over RM5k per month required. You will probably see their MSC reg.no. on their correspondence to you.

For safety's sake wait till you get at least the confirmation that immigration has accepted the application. It's never good to burn bridges. Depending on your role and access to sensitive or commercially valuable information - some companies will release immediately or reduce the notice period, especially if they can promote someone internally to fill your spot.

@ibankerr - why do you use an agent? Is it because you are not close to the Malaysian High Commission?  All that is required is for you to show originals of your documents and get an official stamp on them and signature saying they are authentic. A notary public can also do the same. All documents have to be verified before they are handed to Immigration.  Once they have been stamped (if you were already in Malaysia, your prospective company would do it themselves) they can be photocopied and the copies are considered acceptable. Contact the Malaysian high commission or embassy to make an appointment and ask the fee they charge per endorsement.