Ex pat friendly banks :-)

Hi

What in your opinion is the best bank for an ex pat who, hum hum, is also looking for a low interest rate loan to clear off an exorbitantly high rip off loan in France?

Poorly yours and swimming in debt,

Michael

Even I would like to know if there are any expat-friendly banks here. By expat friendly, I mean more than just speaking English.

Planning to take a loan too.

I know Al Rahji Bank has made loans to expats before.

Samba bank is the best ...
:proud

Hitch wrote:

Samba bank is the best ...
:proud

Why? lol

All saudi based banks are almost the same no matter Saudi American or Saudi Hollandi.
Experience showed me that other ME banks like Muscat, Alinma, Bahraini are much more expat-friendly (may be b'coz most of their staff are also expats ;) )

I think banks in Saudi Arabia give lesser interests compare to any other banks in other countries so they are all better.

When we get paid and our company deposits our salaries in our account in their bank of choice?  Well I think that bank might be friendlier although I am certain loans for expats will be eliminated in the not-too-distant future (people take out loans and then pull 'runners'--not good).

Alliecat wrote:

I am certain loans for expats will be eliminated in the not-too-distant future (people take out loans and then pull 'runners'--not good).

No doubt!
I've heard stories about this scenario!
Poor bank and poor companies they suffer because of their employees wrongdoings! :mad:

Even other people were hindered to get their loan because of the wrongdoings of other debtors so their companies already belong to the blacklist!

Get a loan and be responsible! :mad:

Another possible scenario is that if you have a loan, you won't be able to leave the country at all, not even holiday.

If that happens, that would be worst!
Good thing I don't have loan yet! :)

Michael

Allicat is correct you may have to wait as your company may only deal with one or two banks so if you want to have your salary paid directly you have to use them. I have had to use the ANB Arab National Bank and have had no issues so far don't know about loans though. Saudi British Bank SABB top management are British and it is associated with the HSBC so could be a starting point, it has branches in the UK as well.

Martin Fin wrote:

Michael

Allicat is correct you may have to wait as your company may only deal with one or two banks so if you want to have your salary paid directly you have to use them. I have had to use the ANB Arab National Bank and have had no issues so far don't know about loans though. Saudi British Bank SABB top management are British and it is associated with the HSBC so could be a starting point, it has branches in the UK as well.

Thanks Martin

Alliecat wrote:

Another possible scenario is that if you have a loan, you won't be able to leave the country at all, not even holiday.

Yes. I have heard about this . Saudi law takes debt very seriously indeed. This might merit second thought. :-)

If you take out a loan and skip out on it, there's nothing they (the Saudis) can do about it here (except maybe ban you from returning--but the people skipping out don't want to come back, anyway).  I mean, they can't extradite you (lol) and what happens in Saudia stays in Saudia (meaning, it won't affect your credit back home).

So logically if this keeps happening, they'll just 1. deny expat loans, or 2. refuse holiday exit to expats who have outstanding loans.

True Alliecat. What Im looking for, above all, is the best bank for online banking transfers, so that I can get the money out of the country :rolleyes:

Okay, Al Rahji charges 75SAR per transaction but I made friends with the guy at the bank so he waives the charge ;)

michaelpakenham wrote:

True Alliecat. What Im looking for, above all, is the best bank for online banking transfers, so that I can get the money out of the country :rolleyes:

All banks have online transfer. The charges for online transfer varies from bank to bank and depends on the type of bank account here and the destination of your bank account in your home country.

You can also transfer money from ANB's Telemoney outlets by depositing the cash over the counter. To my knowledge, Telemoney charges the lowest for such transfers (only SR 16 per transaction). Carrying cash is not advisable here unless you have your own car.
Alliecat has other ideas for reducing / waiving the bank charges :):)

ghanshyampdave wrote:

Alliecat has other ideas for reducing / waiving the bank charges :):)

Oh, and my transfers are going to the USA so probably more than a transfer to, say, India or maybe even the UK.

And Davie, you'd be surprised how far a smile and pleasant attitude take me in this country.  My experience with Saudis, as I've so often said, has almost always been very pleasant :)

That's right Allie. I read Dale Carnegie in my school days. It's easy to make friends with anyone anywhere with a simple smile and some kind words. Has helped me always. :)
But for certain things, I rather pay voluntarily use a diplomatic channel.

Try alahli bank! It's top among the crops! :)

ghanshyampdave wrote:

That's right Allie. I read Dale Carnegie in my school days.

I never read Dal Carnegie, I just catch on real quick to whatever works lol

Alliecat wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

That's right Allie. I read Dale Carnegie in my school days.

I never read Dal Carnegie, I just catch on real quick to whatever works lol

An example of Darwinian survival of the fittest :-)

Exactly!  My joke to people at home is that I had to come half-way around the world to a 'hostile' environment to find people who *like* me :D

Alliecat wrote:

Exactly!  My joke to people at home is that I had to come half-way around the world to a 'hostile' environment to find people who *like* me :D

Really ? Who likes you ??
:P

ghanshyampdave wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Oh dear. Someone is in for a mawling...watch this space !

ghanshyampdave wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Saudis!

Alliecat wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

Saudis!

And EB-ians too ;)

michaelpakenham wrote:

If we can't beat them, we join them ;)

ghanshyampdave wrote:
michaelpakenham wrote:

You are obviously a wise man with experience !

michaelpakenham wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:
michaelpakenham wrote:

You are obviously a wise man with experience !

And an Expat-friendly Expat ;)

What a diversions!:dumbom:

Though among local banks you may get similar terms but for online sophistication and across major geography reach worldwide SABB aka HSBC is the best choice. Its the only bank here, i believe which is still connected to its Global parent bank. If u have SABB account here and HSBC account in ur home country the transafers are breeze , infact there account to account transfer (within SABB-HSBC) to India is as low as SAR 4 as per their website.

Wow, I've a dormant HSBC account from my past employment. Need to search for the internet banking details. Thanks for the details Kymadoce :)

If you are a HSBC premier customer the fee is waived.

1maxboss wrote:

If you are a HSBC premier customer the fee is waived.

I'm a SABB premier customer (Ruwadh account holder. Would that help ?

Free remittances via SABBNET to HSBC India beneficiary account (First time one-off charge of SAR 50 per beneficiary account).

This is all I could see for the ruwadh account.

1maxboss wrote:

Free remittances via SABBNET to HSBC India beneficiary account (First time one-off charge of SAR 50 per beneficiary account).

This is all I could see for the ruwadh account.

Oh yeah, I knew that. Just slipped off from my memory.

Wow.. guess I didn't have to make friends with the bank guy after all :D

Alliecat wrote:

Wow.. guess I didn't have to make friends with the bank guy after all :D

Lol . and i though you took an advantage out of him !!? :cheers: