ESL teacher

I intend to emigrate to Saudi Arabia in six/eight  months with my family. My husband is Jordanian national. Can I simply ask for a spouse visa...
Will I find technical limitations to my Visa status and applying for work? I hope to work as an English teacher in a suitable location.

I don't have a university degree. I only have a Level 4 qualification in Teaching Assistant from UK. However, I will most definitely have accreditation such as CELTA.(120 hours) course.

My question therefore is will I still find it difficult to secure employment teaching English? I've seen posts before saying the degree is a mere formality for a Work Visa. However I've also seen other posts saying that having no degree would be deeply frowned upon to the point of making employment very tough. Has anyone got direct experience of such a situation? Do any teachers out there know of someone who has overcome my predicament?

Naturally any advice is enormously appreciated.

Does your husband have Saudi citizenship? If he doesn't, a spouse visa will not suffice. He will have to be your sponsor or a job acquired beforehand would have to do the trick. It isn't easy to immigrate to Saudi Arabia, altho english is always in demand.

that isnt 100% true
in jeddah i knew two spouses that were certified and working at an american school on a spouse visa

is it legal? doubt it. but does it happen? yes

You can't keep posting and reposting the same thing.  Here are the answers from yesterday:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=182777

Now, as for being a 'teacher,' without a BA, you don't have the credentials (a CELTA is just a 120 hour certificate which helps if you already have a university diploma).  With your qualifications, what you'll get is a low-paying job at a local school. Lots of 'trailing spouses' do this as a way of keeping busy.

And sushi, I know many wives who legally work with their hubbies as their sponsors.  The advantage is they can quit whenever they want to since the *JOB* isn't their sponsor; the disadvantage is no benefits and low salary.

So with a BA in english you can get a normal teaching job theoretically even without the celta?

Freshlikesushi wrote:

So with a BA in english you can get a normal teaching job theoretically even without the celta?

Not at the university level--you need minimum BA (preferably in English/Linguistics/TESOL) plus CELTA plus at least 2 years  teaching experience (usually at the tertiary level). 

When you're working with kids (secondary/primary) they want a BA in Education or BA in your field plus teacher's certification from your country plus experience.

Now, above I am talking about reputable/international schools.  But many of the smaller, local schools make exceptions based on need.  As I keep saying, though, the pay is peanuts and there are no benefits (like paid holidays or whatever).

hrm. she may be able to hit up secondary

My good friend is teaching on a DELTA in Oman; her bachelor's degree had nothing to do with teaching; was philosophy and german. However, after CELTA cert and a year of teaching experience in Thailand she landed that awesomely paid job in Nizwa. It's what I'm going for; does Saudi not accept CELTA without a BA?

@Noura there are very few places in the world that will hire ESL teachers who don't have a bachelor's degree (in most places, it doesn't matter the major but if it's not English/Education/Linguistics/TEFL they usually require a CELTA).

They say it's necessary for the visa.