Migrating to Arequipa?

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and will be working through the posts in time. This is just to introduce myself as I'd hope to glean some useful information from those of you who have already trodden the path to live in South America and namely Peru.
I'm currently in Cuenca which remains an option though I have to say the two complaints I have are mainly around the temperature being cooler than I'd like here, and secondly with the traffic, and it's associated pollution problems around the CBD.
I'm due in Arequipa in mid September for 2 months and hope to make an assessment over that time along with continuing with Spanish lessons and some volunteer work.
For the record I'm originally from UK now living in Australia.
I hope to get a lot further into the language yet it is still nice to have a chat over a beer on occasion with some of the expat community.
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!
Gary

Hello Gary and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will soon share their experience with you.;)

Harmonie.

hi Gary,

I am from Arequipa, now living in Lima because of my job. About Aqp, I have to say that it is hot during the day, but cold on the shadows (typical weather in the mountain) and the evening, dry and pretty sunny for about 280 days per year.

Traffic is horrible, and it becomes more polluted everyday, at this moment is even worse because of cityhall's works on main streets, but it is supposed to be fixed by the end of november.

Apart from that, I think Aqp is safer, nicer and cheaper than lima, cusco is not that far, and it has all the facilities of a big city.

I highly recommend to come to Aqp and enjoy of its architecture an cuisine.

well, have no more to say for the moment, but good luck

fab

I only visited Arequipa on a 3 week trip through Peru. Actually, went there by accident and ended up falling in love with the city, especially the city's town square. Looked at buying an 18th century courtyard home for about US$40k back in 2000 on my trip. Today, I've retired and starting the search of 'where?'. Arequipa is on my list and I'll be interested to see what people have to say. To be honest, Cuenca in Ecuador is also on the list so your comments on the climate is interesting. We live in San Diego so all places will be compared weather wise to this piece of over populated, over priced heaven.