How reliable are the buses in Malta.

I was wondering how efficient are the buses in Malta. Do they usually arrive on time? Are they all over the country or are there areas where you won't find them? Is there a long wait time for them or do they show up frequently. How much do they cost and if you travel a long distance, is it free to transfer from one bus to another. Basically, if you don't have a car in Malta but you need to travel, would the buses be reliable to travel all over the place.

In my experiences so far...in a word yes........one daily travel ticket is 2.60e and you can use this on every bus until 11pm then night buses kick in at 2.50e each to selected locations.

Arriva run the buses....they are much more reliable more comfortable, cleaner, air conned and fume free than the olde maltese buses of yesteryear...the ones the island was famous for.

yes you can use the buses to get all over the island, not always direct but you can change services to get to where you wish to be.

like most other mechanical things they do occasionally breakdown.

all part of the experience

Cheap enough and they run to all the major areas, but they do not stick to their timetables. You will get there but leave in plenty of time to make it to any appointments!

I agree that they are certainly more comfortable than the old Maltese buses, but I don't find them very reliable. I do not have a car so use them quite often and I have, at times, been over an hour late for my course, or about 45 minutes early!! Although there is a timetable, no one sticks to it, at least in my experience. In the evening on a Thursday I have to go from San Gwann to Sliema, not far if you had a car and not even far on the bus itself once you catch it. However most Thursday nights I find I have often been sitting for well over an hour to get home. I finish my course at 8pm and one time I did not get home until 9.30pm!!! It is only a ten minute journey! I now catch two buses in the evening instead of waiting for my infrequent one, as I find it is better that way. I agree with dreamkin, if you have an appointment/course/job to get to, then leave much earlier than you think you should.

buses are not efficient to make small or long distances. car is a relief if you can.

I just want to make sure that I understand. When you say that a daily travel ticket is 2.60 euros, does that mean that you could buy one ticket in the morning to go to work, tranfer to as many buses as you need to get to work, and then use the same ticket to get home or do you need to buy a new ticket to get home.

correct one ticket for all day ......until 11pm

The rate of 2.60 € /day is the price for non-residents.

If you are a resident and have a Maltese ID card the rate is 1.50 €/day or 1,30 € for a two hourly ticket.

Cheers
Ricky

sorry ricky missed the resident bit....

I have found the problem to be more of getting on a bus as they are so packed, been stuck at a bus stop in 106 degrees with shopping and seeing bus after bus go passed is not fun, learnt after the first time though and now get taxi back lol

Buses have fixed schedules mostly and very comfortable and reliable . they are resonable too as compared to car hires but having a car surely gives you more flexibilty