"Rules & Regulations" in Jeddah

Soon in August 2012, I will be going to Jeddah. My worry is i have no idea on the rules & regulations that they have particularly in public places. The clothes do matter and what more about the actions. If i may start to study the country first before moving there I would need a lot of advice. I hope you can help me sort this out. Keep your comments coming.

Relate this topic on "Things to remember in Jeddah"

Clothing - you are expected to be conservatively dressed that is all - it is not appropriate to show lots of skin - so no singlets or short shorts. It is also recommended that any tattoos are covered in public.

There are plenty of Filipinos in Jeddah - so you won't have a problem finding others - although you may/will encounter discrimination, particularly from some Saudis.

Saudi women will not talk to you, don't talk to them - unless it is in the performance of your job, then it will be the minimum amount required. Everyone else generally will be quite friendly and helpful.

Public displays of affection are generally discouraged - but then, as there are few muttawa here it is not as much an issue as in Riyadh . I'm assuming you're single - so if in all male company no problem - but if you want to get into a 'family' venue then you will need to find a married couple/family to tag along with! You will also need to be careful of the mixed single company that you keep. In the compounds it is not an issue.

Any specific questions?

Be polite and on the conservative side until you get the 'lay of the land' and you will be fine!

couldn't have better advice than that .

i wish you have a pleasant time .

this is my sole experience in jeddah only, others may vary, other passports may vary based on discrimination

I dated a girl, another american, and we went everywhere. Family sections, travel, some pda like holding hands. Never had anyone say a word in a year. from malls to beaches, no problems.

i have a half sleeve tattoo, lip piercings, and another tattoo on my forearm. Only comments i got were curiosity.  (same for riyadh honestly)

westerners are normally not messed with as long as you dont look like you are vulnerable (an older gentleman i know was harassed, and once i stepped in after i saw, he was left alone)

By the king, we can really do whatever dress and stuff wise as long as we arent idiots about it. dont wear a shirt saying F you, or other stuff.  I wear cargo shorts, or columbia hiking pants (super cool temp)

My suggestion is if you dont mind a little fun, push the limits and find them for yourself.  otherwise just blend in or whatever.

I had a hell of a time in jeddah, and am looking forward to a week or so vacation down there later this fall

Freshlikesushi wrote:

this is my sole experience in jeddah only, others may vary, other passports may vary based on discrimination

I dated a girl, another american, and we went everywhere. Family sections, travel, some pda like holding hands. Never had anyone say a word in a year. from malls to beaches, no problems.

i have a half sleeve tattoo, lip piercings, and another tattoo on my forearm. Only comments i got were curiosity.  (same for riyadh honestly)

westerners are normally not messed with as long as you dont look like you are vulnerable (an older gentleman i know was harassed, and once i stepped in after i saw, he was left alone)

By the king, we can really do whatever dress and stuff wise as long as we arent idiots about it. dont wear a shirt saying F you, or other stuff.  I wear cargo shorts, or columbia hiking pants (super cool temp)

My suggestion is if you dont mind a little fun, push the limits and find them for yourself.  otherwise just blend in or whatever.

I had a hell of a time in jeddah, and am looking forward to a week or so vacation down there later this fall

i admire what you have wrote seems to me you had a really great time . i hope u always do my friend ^ ^

If you're coming next month, you may very likely be arriving during Ramadan, which brings its own set of rules.  Check out Ramadan etiquette

Regarding rules during Ramadan, this article may be of interest :

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/middle-e … madan.html