Heinz Salad Cream

So my learned friends on this forum, I have a question for you all.

Where can I buy Heinz Salad Cream in Hungary. The shops sell all other Heinz things that they do not need to; as equivalents locally sourced are just as good and less expensive. The one thing that is not available in a local Hungarian equivalent and they do not import it. What a strange world.

Please do not suggest salata creme because it is NOT Heinz Salad Cream.

Probably the same way I'm feeling about Miracle Whip.  I look up homemade recipes online - how to make your own.  Of course they rarely taste the same, but if you're that desperate, it's worth a shot.  I have seen salad creme at Lidl, i think, but of course it is not Heinz.  As far as ketchup, Heinz is the only real deal, IMO.

Probably on the same elusive shelf where they put my Rice Crispies although for me, any brand would be better than nothing!

While we're on the subject of foreign foods, Culinaris.hu has two locations in Budapest, which sells things I haven't seen in a while from the US - Crisco, Hershey's cocoa, pop tarts, reeses peanut butter cups, etc.  Of course they are very expensive, but sometimes the cravings hit and you have to indulge!

Also, next to the Grand Market Hall there is a big Asian grocery with lots of foreign foods as well - molasses brown sugar, peanut butter, spices and herbs i have trouble finding in the stores, and mexican food.  (as well as Asian, of course) Lots of baking, flavor extracts, and cake decorating items too.

markru wrote:

Where can I buy Heinz Salad Cream in Hungary.

While I can not answer your question directly, I do know that the world is rather globalized, and what ever I can not buy locally (and I always try to buy locally produced and sold items) I can usually mail order. While I know that food is perishable, anything from Heinz I think would probably last into the next century so you are probably okay buying in bulk......

markru wrote:

The one thing that is not available in a local Hungarian equivalent and they do not import it. What a strange world.

I don't think it is strange at all. People tend to be conservative, and purchase what they know, or what is similar to what they have purchased in the past. It is a common business mantra to say that keeping a client is far easier than getting a new one. So importing and trying to sell a "new" product, unfamiliar to the local population, usually is not cost effective.

octobop wrote:

from the US - Crisco, Hershey's cocoa, pop tarts, reeses peanut butter cups, etc.  Of course they are very expensive, but sometimes the cravings hit

I have lived as an expat for over a decade. I can certainly report I have never, and I do mean NEVER, had a craving for Crisco.

Reese's peanut butter cups however are a different story.

PS. Some Coop and Spar stores in my area carry a locally made peanut butter, but yes, it is expensive. Mexican (such as corn chips which I certainly do tend to crave) can be found at times at Lidl.

klsallee wrote:
octobop wrote:

from the US - Crisco, Hershey's cocoa, pop tarts, reeses peanut butter cups, etc.  Of course they are very expensive, but sometimes the cravings hit

I have lived as an expat for over a decade. I can certainly report I have never, and I do mean NEVER, had a craving for Crisco.

Reese's peanut butter cups however are a different story.

PS. Some Coop and Spar stores in my area carry a locally made peanut butter, but yes, it is expensive. Mexican (such as corn chips which I certainly do tend to crave) can be found at times at Lidl.

haha - no, i can't say i've had a craving for Crisco, but many many recipes from my PA home use them - cookies, cakes, pies, icing, etc.  A mix of lard and butter is probably my solution.  They just had American week at Lidl, so I stocked up on PB, and now it's Mexican week, so I have the salsa and chips :-)  I've learned to make my own tortillas, taco seasoning, and fajitas!

Hey good news, if you haven't found it yet!!!
http://culinaris.hu/item/heinz-salataontet-460g

octobop wrote:

....Also, next to the Grand Market Hall there is a big Asian grocery with lots of foreign foods as well - molasses brown sugar, peanut butter, spices and herbs i have trouble finding in the stores, and mexican food.  (as well as Asian, of course) Lots of baking, flavor extracts, and cake decorating items too.

Update on the Asian grocey store in the cellar of the large market next to the Freedom Bridge....

I tried to go there last week and it is completely closed down.

If anyone knows if it's relocated (no signs up).....please do tell....

@Fluffy:
It hasn't been in the basement for a while.
It's across the street next to the market, with the Second-Hand store.

octobop wrote:

@Fluffy:
It hasn't been in the basement for a while.
It's across the street next to the market, with the Second-Hand store.

Shows how often I go. Good info through, thanks!

HP BROWN SAUCE AND MARMITE .......... my life saving items brough some with me cos i knew but will need more soon i love my family

Lesley&Yan wrote:

HP BROWN SAUCE AND MARMITE .......... my life saving items brough some with me cos i knew but will need more soon i love my family

Marmite is easy.  I was in Tesco yesterday in Budaors and there's plenty there - also porridge, PG tips, crisps and some cereals etc available. HP sauce (light versions) and Ginger Beer is also extremely difficult without paying over the odds, although I did manage to get some Light Heinz Mayonnaise - but not a great salad cream substitute.

I dont live in Budapest..!! Marcali Tesco doesnt have marmite and only hp BBQ sauce ..  Woe is me  :-((

There is a great website called the Britishpantry.hu and they sell Heinz salad cream among other things. They deliver to the door for free too.

Have you tried
(moderated: no free ads)