Cost of living in Turkey

For a start do not take too much notice of what is said in the English version of the newspapers re economic/living costs here.
unfortunately like many countries in the world prices are on the increase. Just take a walk around Kippa and you will see what I mean. There are 24 tills out of which on a Friday afternoon only a maximum of 4 tills are in operation. The reason why? a lack of shoppers. In media Mart there are usually more staff than customers. In the Ozderlik Shopping Mall its the same situation. It is the norm to find that on the top floor where Samsung Panasonic, Vestel etc there are no shoppers in these shops. Large discounts from 20%-70% are to be found in quite a few shops, with still very few buyers. Petrol here is one of the most expensive in the world, and costs more here than in England.
Despite all this I would far rather live here than in England, which with all the various taxes is not a cheap place to live.

I agree with all of the above.... Turkey is not cheap but rather live here than UK. I don't feel so bombarded with the "I want it now" culture, it just seems so much easier to live without all those "things" which no one actually needs at all, it's just that you are told over and over again you just must have.

Dead on,
Here people don't really care what you have or may not have.They care more about the person. I have lived here for over 20 years and during that time have seen many changes, some good and some not so good. In this region there is very little crime with it being quite safe to walk around at all hours, which is certainly more than what can be said for the UK. I just hope that Turkey does not join the EU as if so I feel that Turkey will be the looser. Just look at the state of most of the countries that are presently in the EU especially those in the Eurozone.