Questions about this blog and everyday life in Cuenca

My wife and I are planning a trip to Cuenca. We are beginning to do research to see if we'd like to retire there. In your opinion, is this the most frequented site to gather info. I can't help but notice very few responses on many threads.

Also, is it offensive to those of you living in Cuenca, when Americans ask questions about such things as satellite tv and internet costs, rather than discussing cultural or environmental topics?

We currently live in a (near) perfect place, Flagstaff, AZ. But we'd like to have a similar life in the mountains of Ecuador, minus the high cost of living. I would like to list some things we hope to find in Cuenca. Feel free to make comments or suggestions.

-Live close to a river, while also being within walking distance to markets, cafes, restaurants, parks, bus stops.

-Jog or ride bikes along a greenway sidewalk or path (do the rivers allow you to bike alongside of them? Will you have to cross a lot of busy streets?)

-Live near a large park or botanical garden where we can jog or walk the dogs. We notice some city parks are quite beautiful, yet they have limited lawns and paths to run on.

-Flagstaff is at 7000 feet elevation. We average only 4 days a year above 90 degrees. Monsoon rains keep it cool from July through autumn. No insects. Lots of mountain trails to hike. Cuenca is at 8200 feet elevation. What are the high temps you experience? What are the low temps? Are there mountain preserves in or near town, sort of like they have around Phoenix, AZ?

-Have any of you been victims of crime in Cuenca? Can you tell me how many homicides the city has in a year? I'm guessing it is about 1% of what a city of that size in the U.S. experiences.

-Does Cuenca have restaurants serving food from other countires, like Thai food, Indian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean?

-Was your decision to move to Cuenca based more on econimics and stretching your retirement dollars, or did you just seek the most beautiful place you could find to live in?

-Not wishing to offend, but we do watch television, so I need to ask; can you get satellite service that provides similar viewing as you'd have in the U.S. Specifically, can you get a high-def dvr with a package that includes network and cable channels, and sports, like college football, for instance? I like to watch business shows, history channel, HGTV, comedy shows, movies. I'd rather not have to download stuff on a computer.

I read a post from a Texan, asking about golf and whiskey and other deal breakers. Some told him to just stay in Texas. I can understand how sensitive people can be who embrace the people and culture of Ecuador and are offended by Americans trying to Americanize Ecuador. I read how Retirees from wealthy countries can disrupt the economy of poor countries, and make life even harder for the indigenous population. We will try to be sensitive and supportive of the people of Ecuador. We are not wealthy and plan to rent a modest apartment in town, hoping it doesn't cause the cost of housing to spiral out of control as it did in Arizona (our current home is now appraising at $200k less than the $308,000 we invested in it. Ouch)

Most of these questions have probably been asked by hopeful expats again and again. You may be tired of answering them, again and again. I thank you for providing any input at all.

Yes, this forum isn't very active. Hell, I haven't even received one response to a question about the availability of split green peas.

I would say your reasons for considering Cuenca are pretty typical, and that most expats here are interested in how much satellite and internet costs, and when their favorite t.v. show is on. So ask away, although I don't know myself. :lol:

As for concerns over rising rents and real estate costs, it happens everywhere there is increased economic activity and an influx of people(expats or otherwise). If the government wants to, they can can restrict foreign ownership and/or the issuance of resident visas. Of course the downside of that is there is less economic activity, which means less jobs. If a particular expat is overly concerned about it, I will suggest to them that they give up their apartment and return to their home country, so that the overall supply of housing is increased, driving down the cost for everyone else.

can't help but notice very few responses on many threads.

OK, I'll give you my opinions

Also, is it offensive to those of you living in Cuenca, when Americans ask questions about such things as satellite tv and internet costs, rather than discussing cultural or environmental topics?

Maybe, don't know anybody like that.  But who cares?  We ask about the things that are important to us.  If street photography were a passion of mine but there was a cultural prohibition against photographing people...that would be a deal breaker.  Better to know that up front.

-Live close to a river, while also being within walking distance to markets, cafes, restaurants, parks, bus stops.

Yes, there are places like that in different parts of the city.

-Jog or ride bikes along a greenway sidewalk or path (do the rivers allow you to bike alongside of them? Will you have to cross a lot of busy streets?)

Yes there are such places.  There are also bike clubs here.

-Live near a large park or botanical garden where we can jog or walk the dogs. We notice some city parks are quite beautiful, yet they have limited lawns and paths to run on. 

Parque Paraíso is a very nice park on the river.

-Flagstaff is at 7000 feet elevation. We average only 4 days a year above 90 degrees. Monsoon rains keep it cool from July through autumn. No insects. Lots of mountain trails to hike. Cuenca is at 8200 feet elevation. What are the high temps you experience? What are the low temps? Are there mountain preserves in or near town, sort of like they have around Phoenix, AZ?

Near?  Farther than you can walk, but there are buses to Cajas National Park.  Great place.  In general the temperature is between 50 F at night and 70 F during the day.

-Have any of you been victims of crime in Cuenca? Can you tell me how many homicides the city has in a year? I'm guessing it is about 1% of what a city of that size in the U.S. experiences.

Crime is a concern in every city, Cuenca included.  I don't live in fear, but I am very careful.

-Does Cuenca have restaurants serving food from other countries, like Thai food, Indian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean?

Don't know, sorry.  Not a big fan of restaurants (way too many TDYs)

-Was your decision to move to Cuenca based more on econimics and stretching your retirement dollars, or did you just seek the most beautiful place you could find to live in?

Like most decisions in life, it was a bit more complicated than just one reason.  An overwhelming factor was economics and retirement. Cuenca was the best fit for us.

-Not wishing to offend, but we do watch television, so I need to ask; can you get satellite service that provides similar viewing as you'd have in the U.S. Specifically, can you get a high-def dvr with a package that includes network and cable channels, and sports, like college football, for instance? I like to watch business shows, history channel, HGTV, comedy shows, movies. I'd rather not have to download stuff on a computer.

You might want to look into Slingbox. 

That said, I agree with the above poster.  You are trying to get a handle on the place that best suits you and see if any red flags pop up that would eliminate the city.  For some it's the altitude.  The only real way is to come for a few weeks and try it out. 

BTW, buses are pretty much everywhere.

HTH

Mike

Thanks for the responses so far. I did forget to ask about language courses. Did you take classes before leaving your home country or wait until you got settled in Cuenca?

I like the idea of a bike club. My wife and I both mountain bike and hope to do a lot more biking in Ecuador since we won't have a car. My wife plays tennis at a high level and will try to get invited to any tennis club, if they'll accept her. She also plays vollyball. Running and biking are my hobbies. That's why we will look for an area with trails or long stretches of sidewalks where you don't have to stop each block for traffic.

We enjoy almost any type of food, so we look forward to enjoying local cuisine.

This might be an odd question. Do you follow local or national politics in Ecuador? I suppose you'd be interested in the stability of the government. Last week I read something about Ecuador seeking loans from Latin American countries because oil revenues are down. The article mentioned that in the past, Ecuador had failed to repay some loans and was forced to borrow money elsewhere. I know that the U.S. is always asking China to buy our debt and most of the time we just ignore the size of U.S. debt, despite what it may mean for our future. I would think expats would pay a little attention to politics in Ecuador, in case it might affect them.

Thanks again for the comments. Keep em coming.

The Wayfaring Stranger

Now I will attempt to load a picture...

[url=http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii266/strawfoot2002/DanBeth-smallwaterfall.jpg]biking in Oregon[/url]

I'm sure I'm the "crabby" person who responded to the guy from Texas.  Assign whatever value judgement you choose to my remarks but, believe it or not, I'm trying to be helpful.  I've lived in Ecuador for some years now, and it's my observation that people with a laundry list of picky, specific questions are hoping to find a "cheap America" here.  This is a different continent, a different country, and a different culture.

Almost everyone I've met who relocates to Ecuador with unrealistic expectations and no sense of either compromise or adventure ends up being miserable (and making everyone around them miserable) and eventually leaving with comments about how much this place sucks.

If things like golfing opportunities, international cuisine, and split peas (sorry, Nards) are important enough to you to sit at your computer and type, Ecuador may not be the scratch for your itch.

I'd rather you find someplace that meets your needs than come to Ecuador and leave disappointed and disillusioned.  Is that so "crabby"?

Edd, what absolutely patronizing comment, and from a blogger no less.  My comment about split peas above was in jest, but my desire to find them is sincere, along with many other things that I am accustomed to finding in the states. And yes, I do view a forum like this an appropriate vehicle for asking about the availability of products that I can't find.

Nards, you are correct. I have lived overseas before in one of the hottest and anti-American places. I simply asked some questions of what would be available and what wouldn't. I was told any and everything was available in the Middle East. Not even close to being the truth. I am not looking for a Cheap America. I know there is no place like the US. Apparently I stepped on Ed's toes and he wanted to save all of the Ecuadorian culture without anyone questioning it. I am not sure but I really dont think an Ecuadorian invented many of the day to day pleasures we take for granted. I believe those ideas were from outside the country. As far as the deal breaker questions I posed, those were meant to be light hearted. But they did have merit. I dont plan on going to Ecuador to sit and die. I enjoy outside activities like fishing, and golf. I am sad to see that golf will not be available, but I will do some fishing. Like I said, I aint going to sit in the park everyday and feed the pigeons. I need something to do besides watching TV and playing on the internet. I plan on finding something I enjoy doing there, possibly volunteering for some good causes.
And Nards, if you find the split peas let me know. I hate peas unless they are stuffed in bacon wrapped shrimp, but wouldn't mind knowing if they are available.

I have asked and had many of my questions answered. I appreciate all of those answers, and I know others have the same questions. We are in the process of storing our goods and setting a date for the move. I am excited, nervous, and worried, all at the same time. Big major decision for us. Hopefully it will all go well. Almost all of my questions have been answered which helped tremendously in my decision. Thanks to all.

My husband and I are planning on visiting Ecuador this summer. I love this Forum! Even with some thorns there are a lot of roses here to glean. Nards, I'll be happy to bring down some split peas from ORegon when we come down. :) Our goal in visiting is to find a place where David, my professional bass playing husband of 62 years can continue to make music and I can explore my passion of farming. BTW: I am currently a High School and Middle School ORchestra Director and cellist. We aren't interested in condos but would prefer simple housing where I can farm 2-5 acres with good soil, with a water source and David can gig to his hearts delight. Right now we are doing this in Southern ORegon. We are adventurous and hope to see a lot of the country, take some Spanish lessons in Otavalo and explore this beautiful country. Thanks for any feedback. Gerry

Gerry,

Great thanks for the offer, but I received 4 bags last week direct from the U.S. Your comment reminded me to update that thread with the announcement.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 384#893272

Nards Barley wrote:

Edd, what absolutely patronizing comment, and from a blogger no less.  My comment about split peas above was in jest, but my desire to find them is sincere, along with many other things that I am accustomed to finding in the states. And yes, I do view a forum like this an appropriate vehicle for asking about the availability of products that I can't find.

Nards, I agree. Edd's condescending remark about golfing opportunities struck a nerve with me.

BTW, we make 3-5 trips to the USA annually for work and visiting grandchildren. USA baggage inspectors must laugh when they see the cleaning products, spices and kitchen equipment crammed in our six bags. This time of year canned pumpkins are on the shopping list.

I must also agree. I think often times that Ex-Pats that are "in country" have a tendency come off as superior in the intent of why they moved, and what they find acceptable as to newly arriving, or interested in re locating people.
To ask a simple question as to a certain foods availablity, or an activity one enjoys, ie: biking, golf, television, etc. should be in my mind what a forum is all about. I have to wonder if the somewhat short response regarding golf was because some, in some areas of the world, might consider it an eletist game? C'mon, there are golf courses all over the US. and more public than private. I think the original query was done tongue in cheek, as also to the question of the booze availability. But, when all is said and done, they are all just questions. Things folks are interested in. My feeling is, if you have no information to offer about a topic, don't respond. If you do, pass on the information in a friendly manner. No need to be condensending, or make judgements of others we don't actually know.
I fear the written word is easily misconstrued. We don't see facial expressions, the eyes, or the inflection of voice. We are all in this together... no matter our locale. Remember, we ARE a global village.
Lets strive to help one another in a civil fashion.
Peace N' Love.
( sorry, I'm a 60's child )
Stay Well,
Neil

I agree Zen. I have asked, and have received many replies to my many questions. Some replies were not called for, but most were very informative. And helped me see the big picture a little better. I am making a life decision and the more information on lifestyle, activities, economics, etc... I have the better. My wife and I are looking for another life experience, not just going somewhere to hunker down and die in my retirement years. I love outdoor activities like golf, and will miss it. But I can adapt to other things as I did in the Middle East. 3/4 of the time there it was over 110 during the day and way too hot to do anything outside, like golf. But I adapted and played on vacation. I am looking forward to trying my first Guinea pig on a stick. My wife says, no way!