Living salary in Delhi

Hi,
I'm from London, and considering an academic research post in Delhi. It pays 16,000 rupees a month.
Can I realistically live on that?
I've been to India many times before but forgotten how much that is.
Btw - I'm not expecting a London lifestyle!
Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks,
M.

sorry, that's 16,000 +HRA, not sure what that means either - I know it's Housing Rental Allowance, but not sure what that actually means...
THanks!

Hello Telecaster and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

That's Peanuts and I doubt you will be able to survive on that !! Though A single local can barely manage on that salary !! That's around meagre 200GBP !!!

Yes, it is a meagre amount and you need to find HRA. It means that they they are paying for it and with basic necessities that are provided. But you need to find out more clearly and in written form coz words just fall out by thin air.
Good luck and if you need any help, please let me know.

Thanks for all your comments - what a helpful bunch you are! ;)

No it is not mearge amount bcoz life in delhi is too expensive.

Good question.  I put together a list of prices for expat living below.

meetmehereandthere.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/cost-of-delhi-living/

You can get a room here and that too in good condition with around 9000 iNR in Mayur Vihar-Phase-1. Do let me know and mail me at [email protected].

Rest you know how you can manage with the remaining money.

Regards
Aditya

Hi Tele,
No its impossible to live on such amount I would suggest that you need around 30-40K per month for having standard living.
Gretings
Sachin

It will be real diff. to manage in Rs.16K per month and you will be disappointed with the decision if you at all take the assignment unless you have reserve funds in bank to bridge the gap.

With 16000, if you are alone and if you take one room on rent in posh delhi and eat food at home and travel only in public transport and do not do anything for entertainment, then you can very well live. Room cost = 5000 PM + eating cost = 5000 pm + transport = 3000 = 13000 PM seems good.

thanks,
vijay

if you are getting accommodation at low cost then you can easily survive.