Moving to Bahrain

Hello all,

Am new to this forum. I have been offered a job in Bahrain which would pay me about 1100 Bahrain Dinars (BD) a month. Being single, I need to find a one bedroom-hall-kitchen apartment, pay my utilities (phone, television, gas, water and internet) and pay for my food (mostly vegetaranian and home-made). I have no expensive tastes and take little interest in outside food, and avoid liquor and cigarettes.

I would be grateful if you can let me know whether my salary (1100 BD) would suffice.

Thanking you,

Bobby Bannerjee,
Mumbai, India

Hi Bobby and Welcome to the Forum :)

The salary you mentioned would be enough for you and you would be able to have some savings as well; it all depends on you my friend.

Good Luck ;)

Hello and welcome to Bahrain. 1100BD is not bad. You can get a 2bed flat in Juffair for about 450BD and this would be fully furnished, including all the bills and the Internet etc. Some even include weekly cleaning. Most include a pool and a gym in it as well.  You can even get something cheaper than 450BD. So the rest is for you to spend. The fact that you don't eat outside much is also a good way to save money, but many people say they are not going to eat outside but once they are here, they get to see the advantages of home delivery :)

Welcome to Bahrain.

Hi bobby.. welcome to Bahrain..

I have recently moved to bahrain and let me share my three month experience in bahrain..

I got a two bedroom fully furnished apartment in hoora for 300 bd which im sharing with my friend.

so 150 bd + 10 bd for tv and internet.. in the initial two months my monthly expenses were around 450 bd.. but now its reduced to 250 bd including everything (house + cab + food)..

i guess it helped.

Thanks,
Karthick

Thanks to all three of you, BrightonGuy, Vido and karhick.

My question to you Karhick. With you sharing your apartment with your friend, it would be 150BD for you. Is the internet and TV around 10 BD?

Also, if your initial monthly expenses were 450BD, was it costing you (450-160)... around 300BD for your food and other expenses?

All the same, if your total expenses have come down to 250BD now, it sounds incredibly cheap.

Best,

Bobby Bannerjee,
India.

Hi Bobby,

Internet and tv costs around 25 bd, which im sharing with my friend.

When I came here I used to travel a lot in taxis and eat two times a day outside(I gained three kg weight too :( ). So my expenses were around 300 bd initially.

Now I arranged for a cab which will drive me between office and home and I started cooking myself often. So the reduction in expenses.

karhick wrote:

When I came here I used to travel a lot in taxis and eat two times a day outside(I gained three kg weight too :( ).

According to TimeOut Bahrain, an expat in Bahrain gains 7kg in average when they move to the country. Prepare to gain some weight because of all dirt cheap fast food chains here and them delivering home!!

Dear Karhick,

Glad to know that you are cooking at home; not only is the food cheaper but also a lot healthier. I would suggest a microwave, which is excellent for heating leftover food as well as cooking them. It is as essential an item for me as is a washing machine. However, I was wondering how are bus services in Bahrain. I saw a video of a bus in Manama and the bus (and its conditions) looked way better than what we have here in India. However, are they reliable in terms of their regularity? If they are, then I see no reason you travelling to work in an arranged cab. Moreover, I'd be willing to stay in Juffair if I can rely on the buses that ply within the places.

regards,

Bobby Bannerjee,
India.

Hi brightonguy,

I think it's really up to us to stay away from those kinds of foods, for our own sake. I say "stay away", for they helped me gain more than just 7 kilos back when I was a student, given my craving for pizzas. Not that they are that cheap here either. I was paying more from my pockets, and with my health. It's a poor deal in the end, but then that's just my opinion.

Bobby Bannerjee,
India.

Sorry bobby i dont have much information about the bus service in bahrain(I have never used it). Its covering only specific routes and you cant stand outside waiting for bus even for a minute in this weather. Even at morning 7 the temperature will touch around 40. So forget about catching a bus to office.

There is no bus service in Bahrain. At least not that you would want to use. Not reliable and not sure if it would go to places like where your office will be. You'd be better off renting a car, hiring a driver or renting a place very close your office so you can walk but I would not rely on the public transport. Not recommended.

Hi Karhick and BrightonGuy,

Thank you for the information regarding public transport in Bahrain. It was most important for someone like me who doesn't drive. I'd do better to live close to my workplace.

My workplace is located at a place called Isa Town. Do you think there will be markets available there, for essentials like food and stationery? I'd not like to rely on public transport for my necessities, even if it is once a week.

Bobby,
India.

Oh you will get a taxi every now and then otherwise you will be bored to death. I'm sure there will be places for you to eat but not sure about groceries. You will come to Seef every now and then and go to Carrefour or Lulu to do your weekly shopping and it will be a change of scene for you. You have to live Bahrain to enjoy Bahrain. Otherwise it could become a boring place you know.

Hi bobby....
What are you going to work as in Bahrain? I am likely to take up teaching profession in Bahrain and planning to fly there probably after a month. So I am equally keen to know about accomodation in Isa town and i would be glad if i share the accomodation with someone.

my mail id- [email protected]

Hello Friendz,

I am planning to move to Bahrain by mid Jan'13. Iam New to this forum and I would like to know from you guys as to how the political situation in Bahrain is at present. Will it be  wise to move in with my family. I heard that expats are targeted with bomb blasts every now and then. Pls share your thoughts.
Arnab