Dress code for women

Should women wear avaya whenever they go outside their house in jeddah? What about women who just land in jeddah? what about girl children - from what age are they required to wear avaya?

as for the girls, im not not sure

but women, should wear an abaya anytime outside of compound/home

A girl is supposed to wear an abaya with the onset of menses.

When you land at the airport, you'll be okay wearing a long skirt (to your ankles) and a long (covering your bum), loose top, esp. if you're traveling with hubby.

Advisable to Buy an Abaya from India before you travel, Dont want to get into any hassles for the first time when you land at KSA !!

Okay. I will better do that, rather than facing unnecessary hassles.

saimans wrote:

Advisable to Buy an Abaya from India before you travel, Dont want to get into any hassles for the first time when you land at KSA !!

saimans, I've seen plenty of women w/o abayas at the airport, Indian/Sri Lankan as well as western.  Nobody pays any attention if they do what they need to do and get out of the terminal to a waiting car quickly.

Alliecat wrote:

saimans, I've seen plenty of women w/o abayas at the airport, Indian/Sri Lankan as well as western.  Nobody pays any attention if they do what they need to do and get out of the terminal to a waiting car quickly.

I agree with you Alliecat, to a certain extent, But usually the person from Asian Subcontinent is sceptical for the first time when he/she lands at KSA. People from the western countries still can take chances, becoz of their strong embassies and government support and if in trouble of any sort or whatever minute, the embassy can intervene and resolve the matter. However, that's not the case with the sub-continent's embassies. They would never interfere in such matter and you could be stranded in an alien world, where even your language would not be understood by anyone... Damn Scary !!

Better to get it from your home country and I believe its not that heavy too...:P

saimans wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

I agree with you Alliecat, to a certain extent, But usually the person from Asian Subcontinent is sceptical for the first time when he/she lands at KSA. People from the western countries still can take chances, becoz of their strong embassies and government support and if in trouble of any sort or whatever minute, the embassy can intervene and resolve the matter. However, that's not the case with the sub-continent's embassies. They would never interfere in such matter and you could be stranded in an alien world, where even your language would not be understood by anyone... Damn Scary !!

Better to get it from your home country and I believe its not that heavy too...:P

I'm telling you, one time I saw probably 50 Indian women lined up, all in saris.  Also, bear in mind that this person is going to Jeddah, not our lovely, conservative Riyadh ;)

But bottom line is to do what makes you feel comfortable :)  I myself arrived wearing brown Moroccan 'abaya' I'd borrowed from a friend at home!  No problems.

Oh, and btw, I think you vastly over-rate the amount of support we get from our embassy lol

Alliecat wrote:

Oh, and btw, I think you vastly over-rate the amount of support we get from our embassy lol

Yes in a problem your embassies are strong and would try their level best to take you out of the sh*t, I have seen cases, not to mention here !! :)