Sri Lankan Citizenship

Dear Friends!

What are the actions to be taken if a foreign citizen wants to get the Sri Lankan citizenship? How long will it take to become a Sri lankan? Is it a benefit if one of the applicants parent was a Sri lankan citizen long time ago but no longer holds it + the applicant was born in Sri lanka.

Indika

Stavanger, it is not that difficult for you to get Sri Lankan Citizenship as you were born there, and one of your parents were Sri Lankan once upon a time.

HOWEVER, please note the the country whose citizenship you presently hold, MAY revoke your citizenship if you try to get a citizenship of another country!

Please look into that, and re-think your wish to get Sri Lankan citizenship, is it because you wish to buy land here?

If so, there are many other ways of doing that, without incurring the 100% tax applicable to foreigners buying property here, please contact me for further details.

Best of luck, Sam.

Hi Sam!

Thank you for the post. Its not for me, its for one of my friends who wants to buy one of my properties which is for sale in Sri lanka. They are from Australia. 100% tax is bothering them. Anyway good to know that there is many other ways.
By the way I heard that they don't issue Duel Citizenships temporarily.

Thank you!
Indika

Hi Indika, dual citizenships were temporarily halted, they have started again, the Controller of Immigration is a friend, so if you need any assistance, pls let me know.

About the 100% tax, pls ask your friends to contact me, I will direct them to my Company Secretary who will show them how to avoid it.

[Moderated: Please register into Sri Lanka Business directory]

Cheers!

Hi Sam!

I will contact you as soon as they get back to SL. Good to know that they started giving dual citizenships in Sri Lanka again.
Thank you!
Indika