Canadian moving to Subic Bay for work

My company (new) is opening headquarters in Subic Bay, I am being sent to open the new facility and hire, train and oversee the operation, once I have trained someone to run the plant I will be traveling abroad frequently to open new plants. Can anyone give me any advice on Subic? I am single, no dependents and my salary is mid range until my bonuses and stock options kick in... I cannot find much on Subic on the internet... cost of living, what it is like to live there etc... any input would be appreciated... I already have a friend living in the Phillipines but he is a partier and I am a workaholic... need some real input.... cheers.

Hi gordmer and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will soon share their experience with you.;)

Harmonie.

thanks Harmonie...:)

Hi Gordmer Welcome to Expat.comgers:cheers:

With regards to your concerns its a bit cheaper compared to Manila. They have beautiful beaches thou. I've been to Subic only once. As I notice you must need a car unless your apartment is nearer to your work place. At day it looks normal but at nights you can see loads of night clubs which is not a good impression.....so hope this may helps you a little...and enjoy your stay:)

Reagrds,
N.

gordmer

Canadian moving to Subic Bay for work

My company (new) is opening headquarters in Subic Bay, I am being sent to open the new facility and hire, train and oversee the operation, once I have trained someone to run the plant I will be traveling abroad frequently to open new plants. Can anyone give me any advice on Subic? I am single, no dependents and my salary is mid range (60k) until my bonuses and stock options kick in... I cannot find much on Subic on the internet... cost of living, what it is like to live there etc... any input would be appreciated... I already have a friend living in the Phillipines but he is a partier and I am a workaholic... need some real input.... cheers.

thanks jobprovider... any input is appreciated.

Gordmer,

Subic is a really nice place.  Especially if you are new to the Philippines.  I'm Canadian and it's where I always recommend North American's go to learn how to drive to start...as the roads there are a lot nicer and people drive less crazy there!

Lots of things to see/do in Subic.

Big expat community there...huge expat retiree crew there.

Costs are more expensive than most places in Philippines, but less expensive than many in Manila.  60k is good, but it can go in a quick hurry if you are not careful. 

Good luck!
RY

What kind of plant are you going to put up in subic? What's the nature of your business? I have a friend from canada, also looking into putting up business here in philippines (not in Subic). I don't know if he will push through it but he's asking me for some advice and if I can be of any help for the technical aspect of his business.

60K is a good salary for an employee but if you are planning to be a businessman here you would need 10x more than that. It depends also on what business would that be.

Been to Subic couple of times already, there are plants and factories out there, there's also another in EPZA Cavite it's an Economic Zone for different factories, plants, depots and industries. If you will compare the two based on their proximity to Manila -- EPZA is nearer to Manila.

Thanks Cookiemuncher,
I am not at liberty to discuss the type of plant. I will be head of operations and will be hiring and training staff there to run the day to day, my job will be to get the ball rolling and then I will abroad quite a bit doing the same elsewhere.

And also thanks to ryansales. Any input into the income tax situation? I have been told it is tax free for executives but I have read differently.

cheers

gordmer

Gordmer,

I'm not sure.  It's a special economic zone.  I've hard 5%, 15%.  Nothing concrete.  The Philippines is different from Canada.  You can't just pull up a well written guide from the CRA website here!  :)  My recommendation:  Contact the Subic Chamber of Commerce (http://www.subicchamber.org/) by phone or email and ask them.  They will either know the answer or be able to refer you to a local tax lawyer.

Cheers,
RY

thanks ryan... I have my future employer checking on it now... I know that 5% is corporate tax rate... I read something today that said %50 reduction on income before tax for executives... but I will certainly be sure of the facts before I sign a contract...

cheers

Subic is one of the few places where traffic laws are enforced and no Jeepneys/Trikes so its nice for a foreigner. You can probably rent a nice place just outside Subic in Olangapo - Baloy Beach. I have a lot of friends living there, check out Sit n Bull to chat with the retired expats.  Lots of girlie bars if your into that sort of thing.  Watch out for the girls.  $60k is a small fortune in the Philippines and you will find plenty of ways to spend it.

Wow....$60k.  I must have misread that earlier!  LOL.  I was thinking he was making 60k php.  Disregard my statement that 60k can go in a quick hurry.  If you are making $60k, you will be fine!  LOL

Well he didnt put a $ or Peso so I could be wrong.  But you dont get stock options for moving to Phils.

Hi guys... yes I meant dollars. Thanks dhnindc... is Olangapo part of the freeport zone? Can't seem to find anything that shows the borders of the zone on the net... If there are tax breaks for execs, then I would believe that I would have to live in the zone... lots to find out and not much info on the web. And no not into the girlie bars (not even here lol) so that doesn't worry me much... I am older, way past that stage lol. Hoping that I can find a good jazz bar or country bar (rolls eyes about the country bar- those are hard enough to find here)...

i think subic freeport only gives tax breaks on corporate tax, not individual tax. Olangapo is just outside of subic freeport on coast. And I dont know if any jazz or country bars but am sure they are out there.

Hi Gordmer,

Be careful in posting how much you are earning here, you are opening yourself up for grabs!

Here is an official link to subic. sbma.com or try subic.com.

We've been there several times for the intention of investing on some real estate deals, but there's a lot of corruption with the local government so we decided to pull out. Read all the fine prints in all of your contracts. Some big companies have built buildings but for some reason pulled out at a later time. It makes me wonder what exactly were in the fine prints!

I am presuming that your people have done their due diligence about choosing the right location. If you are establishing a plant, since that is an eco-zone, then your company gets good tax break. I suggest that you get a temporary local hotel to stay and familiarize yourself with the place before you get one where you can stay longer. It's difficult to help you if we don't know your exact location.  If you send me a PM, I can tell you exactly the different hotels that are trustworthy.

One thing I like about Subic and Clark are the wide roads and both places are less congested. I can probably drive around those areas if given the chance. I miss driving on wide roads!

Pinaymentor

The Subic Bay Freeport Chamber of Commerce can help you - subicchamber.org

Good info mollysue!

Olongapo is definitely "outside" of the Freeport. A whole different world. Subic is like a private community (own police, fire department, no jeepneys, no trikes, etc..)

Also, depending on what visa he is on, he may be responsible for income tax in his home country only (Canada). He will need to clarify that with his employer prior to his departure.

Gordmer I have sent you a private message with some more info...

Cheers

Gormer,

Also, look at expatforum.com. There are quite a few posts on there about living in Subic. These posts include specifics on costs (housing, internet, fees, etc.) along with some info on housing.

Cheers

Jon

Everyone is so helpful here :)

Hi,,

Subic is one of the many tourist destinations here in the phils. Thus,im sure that you'll not get bored,unlike be in a 'province ' so mountanous type of place.

regarding your internet connection, contact your service provider of they could change the speed of your line.Or try onquiring with other providers,,depending on place,,there are best suite to where specific location you are in.

With cost of living, of course it depends on your lifestyle. But what you're will surely fit into an above average living. :)
Always mind your security,not just here,but im sure in the whole wide world...theres a lot of opportunist.be safe. :) feel free to send me inquiry. im  fomer manager of Japanesecompany here inPhils. hope you enjoy our place as much as they do. manager of a Japanese company hete in 0bils

hi there,the cost of living here is not bad,people of course welcome you,when it comes to weather its kind of bad,rainy seasons,but if you are flexible you can easily adapt.but dont be shocked with our cultures,people are friendly though.WELCOME TO PHILIPPINES...REGARDS
TESS

hi, Welcome to the Philippines....ey !. you will like Subic because it has big open spaces and not so bad beaches. Driving rules are similar with Canada too. I lived in Toronto and if I compare it visually to Subic, I can say that it is similar with the Bluffs area but with less vegetation and of course a hot climate.
Just refrain from using the word "EY" when you talk specially with Flipinos because we have a similar word slang that is used as the same way by Batangenous, they might make fun of your talking...
Like what others are saying here... there are lots of niteclubs and girls would be really after your $60k annual rate.

I hope these helps. all the best to you and enjoy your stay.

Hi! Subic Bay was a US military base before so living there will be a breeze since you only need minimal adjustment. In terms of budget, 10000 to 15000 pesos if you get an accommodation outside the Subic Bay Metropolitan area but if you would stay in a hotel, it will be a totally different thing. There are also houses by Americans Left in the care of Filipinos when they had to leave the country. I'm not sure if they're for rent. You'll do great in Subic. Filipinos are very hospitable.

Try to browse the website sbma.com

it will help you answer your queries.

Hi Gordmer,

Call me Ron, I have been living in Subic all my life and have been working there as well, just moved in Saudi Arabia few months ago... With $60k as your salary you will do just find, and contrary to other opinions above (No offense met) Living in Subic is very cheap, and yes we have many beaches there to brag about some more beautiful than Boracay (At least on my opinion), night life we have it too...lets just say you have needs, there will always be a supply (same as with all other City's and Country's. For Income tax even if your plant is located inside or outside Subic Bay... is not an issue you still get the same tax charges as others are...and frankly that's where you'll be disappointed, just like me...that's why I moved here in Saudi... unless the Company will pay for your taxes (Fringe benefit)the government will take at least 33% of your salary..and with your salary..that's hell of a lot.. The 5% others are talking about are for Corporate Taxes and it does not in any case related to Income taxes....Anyways,Subic is one of the safest place in the Philippines, crime rate are almost zero and there is a lot of expat there...enjoy the stay...

There's a lot factory over there in subic and transportation  not really to expensive to live over there i know have apartment inside of subic there's a lot beautiful beach and resort over there have mall also over there my family still over there if you still need help they can help you too.