Do i need to update Work Permit after getting passport renewed?

Hi all,
i have a work permit for 3 years in vietnam (till 2014). recently, i have renewed my passport from the indian consulate here. i received a new passport with a new number. this passport also mentions my old passport  number. do i need to update my work permit with this new passport number? and also update the resident card?
thanks in advance!

An passport that has been replaced is usually mutulated by stamping through it or cutting the corner off.

Any valid stamps in that passport are null and void (as the passport is null and void).

So if there are currently valid Vietnamese Visas, stamps, whatever in the old passport they have to be transferred. This is done at the Immigration Police office on Nguyen Du Street in HCM or any Immigration Police office in the capital city of the province in which you reside.

You might get charged $10 - which can be paid in Dong. Technically you are supposed to update your So  Khai Bao Tram Tru (Pink Book), but I never bothered (Your passport number is recorded in it).

The Ministry of Labour and War Invalids controls work permits.  Your employer should contact them for you, or you can contact Mr Phat Dang at 090 831 1294 and ask him.  He knows more about the subject than every member of this board combined.

You don't need to do anything until your WP comes up to be renewed.

There is nothing on your passport which refers to your WP.

You can email Phat at [email protected] . If he needs help he'll call me

Phat's a good guy and he knows how to turn a coin, he won't rip you off.

Next time you leave the country you'll need a replacement residence card though, I could talk you through it however you may not want to go through the hassle.

Get your employer to sort it out.

Halfway wrote:

You don't need to do anything until your WP comes up to be renewed.

There is nothing on your passport which refers to your WP.

Get your employer to sort it out.

There might be something. In my residence card, bostitched in Visa pages, there is a reference to my company in.
I also have a work permit, but never seen it, as not needed, there might be reference back to it.
Your employer, like stated above, should be taking care of it and least advising you.

Yeah, you're right: the passport number's on your WP.

Your employer should sort it out. I can't imagine it's any big deal, it's not like renewing your WP which has become a nuisance since decree 46 was issued in June last year.

thanks a lot for your replies.
regarding the work permit and resident card, my company will take care of it.
but i need to transfer the entry stamps and visa to my new passport. i will visit Immigration Police office at Nguyen Du Street next week.

vicci0606 wrote:

but i need to transfer the entry stamps and visa to my new passport. i will visit Immigration Police office at Nguyen Du Street next week.

For Vietnamese citizens the ID card is the anchor document; for Foreigners it is their passport.

The reason I know the procedure is that I renewed one of my passports last year, fourth time since arriving in VN.