Company car Lease or buy own car?

My company is offering me the choice of taking a 2.5k sar car allowance per month or I can take a company car (ford explorer).

What would you do and why?

Personally I would take the car. When you finish out here you then don't have the complication of selling a car.

Downside you don't have a choice of car and they can change it on a whim, taking the vehicle out of the KSA can be difficult. 

Upside no insurance to deal with or maintenance as there is no tax implication no extra hidden costs. Fuel costs forget I have a Toyota 2,7L Fourtrax cost me around £5 to fill it with 70L of petrol yes £5 not the £100 as in the UK.

Hope that helps.

Martin

company car lease.
just  sit and drive.
dont have to worry the next maintenance and the monthly payment in case ur car is "taxit".

not so sure if thats the correct spelling but thats the way i hear it.:)

Martin, SoT,

Thanks for your replies. It looks like a no brainer on the company car then.

I agree with the others, car lease, no hassle with insurance, yearly registration and maintenance. If you have any problem with the car just go to their repair shop and let them repair it. If you want you can ask them to change it, (maybe you have to wait for available cars). If you have an accident, you can just let them replace it, assuming you're not at fault..lol

Tip: ask for a new car, or the lowest milage, so that you have a little bit peace of mind that it will not breakdown anytime soon.

another thing if you plan to go out of KSA you can easily return the car rental, no need to sell...

I would suggest your decision should be based on the duration of your stay at KSA.:) Do the simple Maths, If it is long say 3+yrs, go for the 2.5K, So you get around 90k for 3 yr period. Buy a 2nd hand car and Pocket the money.:P However, If it is for small duration (less than 3 yrs) go for the company car !! :)

saimans wrote:

Pocket the money.:P

If that's the case, then go for 2.5k...lol

Dynamo- thanks for the comment. Saimans i am there for 2 years minimum- it may be extended but the plan is to shift to Dubai after the 2 years is up

1maxboss wrote:

Saimans i am there for 2 years minimum- it may be extended but the plan is to shift to Dubai after the 2 years is up

I Suggested, What I would have done, had I been in your shoes..... :) I still have the gut feeling 2.5k SAR for 2 yrs is the best bargain !! :)

But decision is totally Yours :P

Saimans,

Part of me wants to take the 2.5k per month but it might be best to avoid the hassle and grief of any car related problems- esp if i was in an accident that heaven forbid was not my fault but ended up being my fault ( so i have heard happens)

Hi 1maxboss

you seem doesn't like Ford Explorer.
my advice to you that try it for short period then if you decide that the money is good for you then buy a car match with your daily life tribs there are good offers for toyota and nissan.

my company used to deal with Ford dealer, service is somehow not good and the cars comes standerd no options.

also check Rajhi offers they are good.
if you need help let me know.

1maxboss wrote:

Martin, SoT,

Thanks for your replies. It looks like a no brainer on the company car then.

If you are staying for a very long time it might work out better to buy or do your own hire but to start much easer to go with a company issued one.

Driving standards are not the best saw a car on Sunday that every time it braked the back of the car moved to the right and it was crabbing. Two issues here the rear axial was lose and the chances are the rear breaks were not working well.  The number of times at traffic lights you have a vehicle anything from a truck to a salon car on your right pull across from the right hand lane when the lights go green to turn left across you even if you are going straight on! That is the norm and everyone expects it.

Love it!

Lion- i got no problems with going with the ford but obviously a bmw would be better. is there a link for rajhi offers?

Martin- if i take the company car it will be a minimum 3 year contract- might have to see if they have any pool cars first. i checked youtube and saw the drifting in saudi- looks crazy

Martin Fin wrote:

Personally I would take the car. When you finish out here you then don't have the complication of selling a car.

Downside you don't have a choice of car and they can change it on a whim, taking the vehicle out of the KSA can be difficult. 

Upside no insurance to deal with or maintenance as there is no tax implication no extra hidden costs. Fuel costs forget I have a Toyota 2,7L Fourtrax cost me around £5 to fill it with 70L of petrol yes £5 not the £100 as in the UK.

Hope that helps.

Martin

Dear Martin
Do you drive Toyota Fortuner, if so kindly share your experience of owning Fortuner.

1maxboss wrote:

Lion- i got no problems with going with the ford but obviously a bmw would be better. is there a link for rajhi offers?

Martin- if i take the company car it will be a minimum 3 year contract- might have to see if they have any pool cars first. i checked youtube and saw the drifting in saudi- looks crazy

You will normally have a few weeks to sort things when your Iqama is being processed so take that time.

RehabDoctor wrote:
Martin Fin wrote:

Hope that helps.

Martin

Dear Martin
Do you drive Toyota Fortuner, if so kindly share your experience of owning Fortuner.

RehabDoctor

Its a car that gets me from A-B drinks fuel like it is trying to deplete the Saudi oil supply on its own! That would be a problem in the UK but not here! This one was 2 months old when I got it but has an annoying rattle, returned it to get sorted while I was back in the UK for a few days on business, it came back with new tyres tracking done and an annoying rattle. I have now located the problem it is the break peddle rattling but haven't sorted it yet!

They are nothing to write home about but it gets me about and into the desert on the weekend.

Regards

Martin

Thanks Martin, doesn't sound very promising.

saimans wrote:
1maxboss wrote:

Saimans i am there for 2 years minimum- it may be extended but the plan is to shift to Dubai after the 2 years is up

I Suggested, What I would have done, had I been in your shoes..... :) I still have the gut feeling 2.5k SAR for 2 yrs is the best bargain !! :)

But decision is totally Yours :P

Only if you don't have an accident!

Does insurance cover for accidents- like in the UK?

Explorers are just a gravel and grass car but take it and you won't have to worry about excess payments when (and it is when) you get in a fender bender.

gashead- are you saying its no good in the sand- i want to go off roading

1maxboss wrote:

gashead- are you saying its no good in the sand- i want to go off roading

There's sand and there's sand. I wouldn't take it dune bashing.

saimans wrote:

I would suggest your decision should be based on the duration of your stay at KSA.:) Do the simple Maths, If it is long say 3+yrs, go for the 2.5K, So you get around 90k for 3 yr period. Buy a 2nd hand car and Pocket the money.:P However, If it is for small duration (less than 3 yrs) go for the company car !! :)

I agree with saimans, I would take the money, cash is king :)

just had a look at the 2012 ford explorer online and it looks great- any body had experience of this new model?

you can lease a new explorer for 1200 SAR a month iirc

nad if it is anything like the focus, and mondeo i have had to use

the AC sucks.  seems to be a ford consistency

freshlikesushi,

thats a cheap lease for an explorer- care to share source- please

1maxboss wrote:

Martin- if i take the company car it will be a minimum 3 year contract- might have to see if they have any pool cars first. i checked youtube and saw the drifting in Saudi- looks crazy

Hi my friend, it is true BMW is a better choice. are they offering you one?
I like th 5 series, I saw some ads for selling used excellent condition cars. specially I remember one having 2010 wants to sell less than 90k sr. I think he is British working here in Riyadh.

there are many showrooms in Naseem and in Shefa Districts, but the one need to be careful when buying used car.

those crazy drivers, you can't imagine they don't fear death to enjoy drifting. some of them died in awful accidents.

here is the link my friend: alrajhibank.com.sa/en/personal/car-finance/car-deals/pages/default.aspx

best wishes

is it real that the lease for explorer is 1200 SR??
where is this dealer?
it is over 2000 SR !!!

Lion,

Not sure what else is on the company car list- i wanted a 4x4 and i was told the explorer is the only option. i hope there could be another option- lets see- and thanks for the link

hello my friend 1maxboss
I 've sent you a message.

cheers