ADVICE: Potential Job Offer - Primary School Teacher

Hello all.
I've just been offered a job in the International Community School in Abu Dhabi. The whole package sounds really great and I'm seriously considering accepting however I'm wary! I've read lots about schools being tough places to work regarding teacher expectations and curriculum constraints and the provided free accommodation not really being up to standard.

My main questions are as follows:

Does anyone know anything about this school or it's reputation as an employer? (it's in the Al Markaziyah part of the city, near the Lifeline Hospital)
Do overseas teachers stay longer than a year?

What is Abu Dhabi the Islamic culture like for a 26 year old single girl?
Is a teacher's salary enough to have a good quality of life on (8,000 AED/month)?
Is there strong ex-pat network and social scene? I'd be more interested in sports and outdoors than constant partying at night but would like to have the option!

Lots of questions, I know! I'd be grateful for any advice that could be offered. Thanks in advance.

AB26 welcome to Expat.com

It is a good school with normal reputation but sure there are many schools with much more better reputation but it is a good chance for you as a start and in future you can find something much more better.

I know the location and it is just 300 m away from the place where I live.

Expat ppl stay long time..not easy to tell you this is all depend first in the person himself and 2nd the envirement but i see many expat and euporian ppl work there and kids staudy thier ...

You will not be the only expat single girl in Abu Dhabi ... there are thousnds of single expat ppl from all over the world ..so no worries it is very safe place to live and no one will hurt u or ccouse any issue for you if you will have your own privacy ...there are nice beachs where you can have great time dress whatever you want in malls , beach , street  ....

If shcool provide you with accomodation and transportation then it is a good salary to start with otherwise will not be enough to enjy the real qulity of life ...

There are many options to spend a great time here ..u just come and things will be easy ...

If you need more help you can mssg me back here or in private.

Bye and have a great day

Sounds good so far! Thanks for the quick response!

You are up against several issues:

- The local Emirati brats are out of control, they don't give a hoot about education and you can't slap them. The boys from 8+ yrs are the worst. Don't expect any respect at all.

- The local Emirati teachers who'll you'll work alongside are lazy, worthless ******* who are on a salary at least twice what you'll be paid

- 8,000 Dibs is **** money even if accommodation and allowances are provided on top

- There is NO job security in teaching in the UAE. Some brat with a wasta father can have you sacked in minutes

- Better off to try at one of the other schools such as BISAD, Al Kubayrat or Brighton.

[Moderated: please manage your language]

AB26 wrote:

Hello all.
I've just been offered a job in the International Community School in Abu Dhabi. The whole package sounds really great and I'm seriously considering accepting however I'm wary! I've read lots about schools being tough places to work regarding teacher expectations and curriculum constraints and the provided free accommodation not really being up to standard.

Does anyone know anything about this school or it's reputation as an employer? (it's in the Al Markaziyah part of the city, near the Lifeline Hospital)

Is a teacher's salary enough to have a good quality of life on (8,000 AED/month)?
Is there strong ex-pat network and social scene? I'd be more interested in sports and outdoors than constant partying at night but would like to have the option!

Lots of questions, I know! I'd be grateful for any advice that could be offered. Thanks in advance.

Try negotiating with them... My wife got 12,000 AED/month plus accomodations and flight.. Mind you she's at Sheikh Zayed Private Academy teaching girls.. I think private schools pay differently... A BIG thing to determine is where you accommodations will be... They like to say they'll provide a place in Abu Dhabi, but end up sticking you way outside of town... You need to make sure you have it in your contract that they'llplace you ina building located within the city centre, otherwise you'll be forced to buy a car, and with that salary, you won't get much...

That being said, from our friends that have moved there, they love it! Being single will help out as you only have 1 person to worry about... My wife and I are moving over in 1 month, but we've gone through the process with the schools, and trust me, its a HUUUGE pain in the a**...

Once its all been sorted you can sit back and enjoy the sun !

I can answer some of the questions!

Indeed! I personally know couple of people in the same profession and they are here for more than 5 years now!

It's a good place! It has an Islamic culture but at the same time there is a huge expat community living there including Europeans & Americans! :)
There will be very minor restrictions, but not much! :)

Can you please provide some details like what are the other things included in the package? I'm not sure about your total experience but I've a feeling that you can still negotiate! :)

Yes ofcourse, there is a big expat-network and social scene! ;)
You'll find all type of activities around!
And ofcourse, you've also an option to travel to Dubai (1.5 hours drive) to add more values to your life ! ;)

Many thanks for all the replies guys. I actually decided to decline this particular offer as I had doubts but will still keep looking. In the mean time it might be better for me to stay at home and get another year experience to give me more grounds to negotiate a good package.
Hope you're all having and good summer and thanks again.

hey AB26!

Good Luck for the opportunities! I'm sure that you can get much better options in near future! :)

My views on your questions:

I will second Sandman6's views on your experience teaching the Emariti kids and working along with the local colleagues... it will be difficult... u got to be patient ... n soon u'll find your way out ...

Location: The school is in the heart of the city with lots of expats living in close vicinity... u can feel more than secure in the locality ...

Package: as everyone's said, if accommodation and other allowance are over and above the AED 8K, then it is a decent package to start off with... Accommodation is very expensive in Abu Dhabi ...

Islamic culture is definitely present, but at the same time, Abu Dhabi is amongst the most tolerant and liberal Emirates along with Dubai ... once you have developed your friend circle, its a lovely place to live in ... u have access to lots of sporting activities ... mountaineering is probably one of the sports that i can think of, which is not available here ;-)
No strict restrictions on the clothes you can wear, etc...
U have good options for partying all through the night as well, if u wish to .. there are some very good clubs around ..

Rest is for u to explore when u r here !!!

cheeers .. and all d best for your new endeavor !!!

Ab26 I'm glad you declined that offer. That salary is very poor no matter what they include in the package.