The Ellis English Club

NAME CHANGE ALERT!

Ellis English

Place: The Ellis Academy, 72/8 Ngô Tất Tố , Phường 19, Quận Bình Thạnh , Thành Phố Hồ Chí Minh , Vietnam
Time:  1PM-5PM
Day:  Sundays
Cost:  Free

Anyone who wishes to attend is welcome to do so. 

- Mark

This board is my only means of reaching a wide audience.  I've also contacted former colleagues and students.  When school starts again I'll have a lot more of my former students coming.

Parking could be an issue, but there's paid parking on Pham Ngu Lao. 

This is just a starting point.  I plan on finding another venue eventually.

You're more than welcome to attend Jaitch.  Anyone and everyone is welcome.

this is a wonderful ideal. But how can I know that is u when i come here? ^_^

nhandong wrote:

this is a wonderful ideal. But how can I know that is u when i come here? ^_^

I'm having difficulties uploading a picture, so just come there and ask for Mark.  The staff knows me, plus I'll let them know that there'll be people coming to join me.

oh,i didnt know this thread until now,hope i could join next time

Hello TeacherMark,

thanks for your sms but I couldn't come yesterday.
Did you run your first class well? Hope to see you next time. Good luck to your class.

The meeting was great.  I learned what a "noun" is!  Unfortunately, I've already forgotten what the students taught me...

hi Mark,
how's about this weekend?do u organize a meeting like this?

Hi Mark,
I missed this meeting cos i was in my hometown! I hope to join you the next meeting cos i am interested in this!

Thank u teacher Mark for that wonderful sunday. I learnt a lots from u. Hope to meet and learn this weekend again with u ^_^

Kim Ngan

Hi Mark,

Will the club run again this Sunday?  Also, what level is it aimed at.  I teach business English to an upper int student who would love to be able to practice his English with a wider audience.  Do you think the club would be suitable for him?

Many Thanks,

Jane

nhandong wrote:

Thank u teacher Mark for that wonderful sunday. I learnt a lots from u. Hope to meet and learn this weekend again with u ^_^

Kim Ngan

You're welcome!

Nell Lou wrote:

Hi Mark,

Will the club run again this Sunday?  Also, what level is it aimed at.  I teach business English to an upper int student who would love to be able to practice his English with a wider audience.  Do you think the club would be suitable for him?

Many Thanks,

Jane

Any learner is welcome to attend, regardless of level.  There will be several students there who are studying Business English also.

I have a new venue!  The owners of The Ellis Academy have graciously offered the use of their facility, free of charge.

Here's the updated information:

The Ellis English Club

Place: The Ellis Academy, 72/8 Ngô Tất Tố , Phường 19, Quận Bình Thạnh , Thành Phố Hồ Chí Minh , Vietnam
Time:  1PM-3PM
Day:  Sundays
Cost:  Free

http://www.ellis.edu.vn/?M=~/Control/About/Contact.ascx

The "Ellis" in the name is a reference to Ellis Island, a famous port of entry and processing station for the millions of immigrants who were seeking a new life in America.  The building is very easy to see, since it has the Statue of Liberty painted on the side.

Anyone who wishes to attend is welcome to do so.

Hi teacher Mark,
Its very nice! I will be in :)

just curious, what you guys doing there?
is it like English conversation club ? give me some advice!

andy_k wrote:

just curious, what you guys doing there?
is it like English conversation club ? give me some advice!

The two that I've participated in over the years were essentially informal meetings with organized activities.  One of them turned out to be a way for the organizer to make money, so I stopped going.

The other was/is a coffee shop in D.7 that wants to help people improve their English, but they would also like to see Buddhists convert to Christianity.  Luckily, I discovered their hidden agenda early on and stopped going there.

I was asked what my motivation was by several people.  I have no hidden agenda.  I don't want to network, or score a date, or bring lost sheep into the fold!  I would like to look back one day and know that I accomplished something here and that I did it for free and for very little personal gain. 

Just a few months ago I was planning the same sort of thing, except I was living in Hanoi.  I interviewed with Piaggio-Vietnam for a trainers position and was asked what I did in my spare time.  I mentioned that I was planning an English club, so they asked me why.  I laid out the same reasons and one of the managers actually scoffed and said I had to be seeking something.  At that moment I sought, and managed, to remain professional and ignore his skepticism and lack of business acumen. That experience, along with a few others, is motivating me to see this through.

The center does have a reason for letting us hold the gatherings there, however! I'm sure literature will be offered to the people who attend, but there certainly won't be any hard selling.  The owners aren't like that; they're very good people.

What I'm planning is to eventually have enough people to do a series of activities concurrently and then rotate after 15 minutes, or so.  For example, there could be a group that's role playing a topic related to tourism, then another one could be playing out a banking and finance scenario, etc.  I'd like to see at least 4 or 5 groups of about 5 and for all of the groups to run through all of the topics/stations.

Additionally, there could be games, videos and the activity I love the most...singing!

Hi Teacher Mark,
how's about this weekend?will this club open tmr?

Yes, we will be meeting at The Ellis Academy in Binh Thanh.  The hours will be from 1-3PM.

I would love to see a lot of people attend.  I've predicted that 50 people will come, so tell everyone you know!

I'm taking requests, if there's something that any of you want to discuss or practice.  Here's a list of conversation questions that I've used in my classes.  Take a look and se if there's anything you want to talk about.

http://iteslj.org/questions/

Does anyone that's planning to attend live in District/Quan 6?  I have a former student who needs a ride , but I already have a person that I'm bringing.

The attendance was 15 today, which I consider a good start.  Thank you to those who where there.  I hope you learned something and enjoyed yourself.  I enjoyed the opportunity to do what I love without worrying about how much I'm making.

The meetings will be held on Sunday's for the foreseeable future and it will always be free, as long as I'm in charge. 

Here's the sites and the program we discussed, as well as a screenshiot of the method you use to slow down audio on VLC.

lyricstraining.com 

http://vlc-media-player.en.softonic.com/

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Syc9wTWA-RQ/UAvGeGAJc3I/AAAAAAAABE0/T1QGtZIM_Wo/s800/Slow%2520Down.jpg

Having an English club is what I've desired for a long time. I see there is a club in Expat organized by chum usually meet up on Thursday. That's interesting but I'm not confident to join because my English is not good to talk and I can't spend money to go to the theater and drink or eat at cafe shop or restaurant every week.
If I join to your club, I just go there and attend the club?
Loan

HongLoan wrote:

Having an English club is what I've desired for a long time. I see there is a club in Expat organized by chum usually meet up on Thursday. That's interesting but I'm not confident to join because my English is not good to talk and I can't spend money to go to the theater and drink or eat at cafe shop or restaurant every week.
If I join to your club, I just go there and attend the club?
Loan

We provide drinks, snacks and the lessons/activities.  Parking was the only thing that a few people had to pay for and I'm going to solve that problem.

This is a volunteer effort by myself and another teacher.  We've decided that we should give a little back to the students of Vietnam.

Hope to see you next Sunday.  I'd love to see a few of the teachers who frequent this board come as well, not to "observe" but to contribute.

Thanks for your kindness. I'll be there on Sunday July 29th.

Huhm, sound interesting!! I am about to join you this weekend. Is there anything I should be well-prepared before going there (except for the parking fee)?? :)

unei_nguyen wrote:

Huhm, sound interesting!! I am about to join you this weekend. Is there anything I should be well-prepared before going there (except for the parking fee)?? :)

You could bring the following things:

1.)  A new laptop.

2.) A new Iphone.

3.) A new Ipad.

and finally...

4.) $2000 USD.

Those are the traditional birthday gifts for a teacher in America.  :D

Bring yourself and anyone else with a desire to see a  class being conducted by an American and a Brit.  It can be interesting.

I read on your profile that you have an interest in psychology, so you may want to bring a notepad as well. This song brought me to the verge of tears twice last week, so add a box of tissues to the list!

What a Wonderful World

Teacher Mark wrote:

1.)  A new laptop.

2.) A new Iphone.

3.) A new Ipad.

and finally...

4.) $2000 USD.

Bring yourself and anyone else with a desire to see a  class being conducted by an American and a Brit.  It can be interesting.

I read on your profile that you have an interest in psychology, so you may want to bring a notepad as well. This song brought me to the verge of tears twice last week, so add a box of tissues to the list!

What a Wonderful World

Oh I am so excited about the traditional bday gifts thing!! I am also a [future] TEACHER!! Yay me!! :heart:

As I am sitting alone at night here, I am not listening to your song now. Otherwise, I may commit suicide!! :sosad: Thanks anyway!! :D

I am now preparing $2000 for my own birthday gift next year, and another 2000VND (or more) for the parking fee. See you there at the meeting.

unei_nguyen wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:

1.)  A new laptop.

2.) A new Iphone.

3.) A new Ipad.

and finally...

4.) $2000 USD.

What a Wonderful World

Oh I am so excited about the traditional bday gifts thing!! I am also a [future] TEACHER!! Yay me!! :heart:

As I am sitting alone at night here, I am not listening to your song now. Otherwise, I may commit suicide!! :sosad: Thanks anyway!! :D

I am now preparing $2000 for my own birthday gift next year, and another 2000VND (or more) for the parking fee. See you there at the meeting.

The other teacher, Simon, claims that it's a happy song.  It is about being grateful for the beautiful things in life, but it hit me hard for several reasons on that day. 

I'm going to pay for the parking.  I want this to be as free as free can be.

Make sure and speak with me before or after class so I can make sure you have some of the materials that every teacher should have...free!

Teacher Mark wrote:

The other teacher, Simon, claims that it's a happy song.  It is about being grateful for the beautiful things in life, but it hit me hard for several reasons on that day. 

Make sure and speak with me before or after class so I can make sure you have some of the materials that every teacher should have...free!

No need to pay for the parking, Teacher Mark!! It takes me 45 mins to ride there plus 10k VND to buy a notebook plus 5k VND to buy a pen, so the parking fee is nothing in comparison with the money I pay for the gas and other, say, equipment!! :lol:
I am listening to the song. Thanks for freaking me out last evening. :nothappy:

Thank you first for this idea! I would just like to know whether we have to register in advance or just go there?

unei_nguyen wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:

No need to pay for the parking, Teacher Mark!! It takes me 45 mins to ride there plus 10k VND to buy a notebook plus 5k VND to buy a pen, so the parking fee is nothing in comparison with the money I pay for the gas and other, say, equipment!! :lol:

It's a beautiful song that I had used in past lessons.  It just  wasn't a good time for me to hear it.

nttsuong1302 wrote:

Thank you first for this idea! I would just like to know whether we have to register in advance or just go there?

No need to RSVP.  Come if you can, even if you're late.  It's OK.

unei_nguyen wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:

Listen to this song.  It never fails to cheer me up.

C is for Cookie (That's Good Enough For Me!)

Another great site for learning English via music:

busyteacher.org/classroom_activities-listening/songs_and_lyrics/

Teacher Mark wrote:

Well, what a song!! :lol:
Your British friend, I mean the other teacher working with you, should record a song called B FOR BISCUIT!!

Thanks for the link for busy teachers. Lazy (future) teacher like me should be counted as "busy" too!! :lol: However, some songs here are so popular that my students may have remembered their lyrics.

unei_nguyen wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:

Well, what a song!! :lol:
Your British friend, I mean the other teacher working with you, should record a song called B FOR BISCUIT!!

Thanks for the link for busy teachers. Lazy (future) teacher like me should be counted as "busy" too!! :lol: However, some songs here are so popular that my students may have remembered their lyrics.

Patrick Stewert beat him to it, though it's not about biscuits!

Sesame Street: Patrick Stewart Soliloquy on B - www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7lv1SDzno

Then there's the "Family Guy" takes on the Cookie Monster:

The Cookie Monster in Rehab - www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4-TsaNENo

Now He's "Shooting Up" Cookie Dough! - www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYRNy5LrgzA&feature=related

Here's a sample of this weeks conversation questions:

Pet Peeves and Annoying People

What does pet peeve mean?

What are your pet peeves?

Does it annoy you when people don't use the right punctuation?

What kind of people annoy you?

Who is the most annoying person you know? Why?

How do you inform someone they are being annoying?

Foreigners Who Think They Know What's Best for Vietnam

How do you feel when you hear, or read, something a foreigner says about Vietnam that is negative?

Do you do enjoy it when a foreigner tells you how your country should conduct itself, e..g., your laws, business practices, etc.?

How do you respond to a foreigner who tries to impose their beliefs and values on you, or suggest that your country would be better if...

Do you believe that foreigners, especially Americans, should worry about their own countries and let Vietnam decide what's best for Vietnam?

Beliefs

Are you passionate about your beliefs?

Do you ever try to impose your beliefs on others?

Do you steer clear of some touchy topics or do you enjoy  provoking others?

Do you at times enjoy "playing the devil's advocate" (debating for the fun of it)?

Volunteering

What is volunteer work?

What is your definition of volunteer work?

What is the dictionary definition of volunteer?

What benefits do you get personally by volunteering?

Can you list some reasons why people volunteer?

How can volunteers benefit from their work?

Do you feel like people who make jokes about a volunteer project are narrow minded, low class, simpletons?  What adjectives would you use to describe a person like that?

We'll also be covering 2 songs. "Hotel California", which I will teach and another one that Simon has yet to choose.

I also plan to conduct a few pronunciation drills and instruct the class on ways to practice your pronunciation at home.

Again, I'm open to suggestions.  If you have a job that requires specific English, let me know and I can try to find materials that will assist you, as well as guide you as much as I can.

Attendees should be prepared to speak about themselves a little, as well.  I would like you to tell us your name, hometown, occupation/job, the reason you're studying English and if you plan on taking the IELTS, TOEFL, or TOEIC at some point in the future.

As an added bonus I will be performing a few miracles, such as helping a blind person regain their vision, restoring a paraplegic's ability to walk and finally, teaching an American that there are more countries than the USA outside it's borders, most of whom hate us. 

I'll have to perform that miracle via the Internet, however, because if they're here they must know about the outside world already.  They may still think that this is the 51st state, however, so I'll ask them a few concept checking questions first.  That's if any show up, .

Hi Teacher Mark,
Your English club is really interesting. How can I join it? Just come there and say I know you on this forum?

Anna_Vo wrote:

Hi Teacher Mark,
Your English club is really interesting. How can I join it? Just come there and say I know you on this forum?

Just come the the school and the receptionist will tell you the floor where we're holding the class.  If enough people show up we'll open up another classroom and have 2 classes.  My dream is to fill the building.  We can't fail, because we're on a mission from God.

That's a line from famous movie called "The Blues Brothers"  I'm actually on a mission from Buddha!

We now have a homepage for the club.

http://www.ellis.edu.vn/?M=~/Control/Ne … 55&Type=80