Have you seen this car here?

Hi gang,

I wonder if any of you have ever seen this car anywhere in Vietnam before?

http://www.bmwism.com/m_cars/bmw_m3_e36_cabrio_1998_side_view.jpg

It is a 1991-99 BMW M3 Cabriolet, commonly known as an E36.

If you have seen it or know about the range that it would go for, please let me know.  Better yet, if you have one and want to get something else...

Thanks,
Howie

Seems like a thief's delight.

It's either open or a slashable soft top.

Better get a good disabling alarm.

Jaitch,

Because of that and the fact that this particular model was out before Vietnam officially opened, I don't think there are any of them here.  I have seen a couple of sedans, but nothing like this so far.

Doubt if you find many of them here.

Vietnamese are not real car aficionados, more like blind brand crazy than loyalists to certain vintage cars with certain attractions.

Besides, you really want a cabriolet in this monsoon weather?

Vietnamese are not real car aficionados

Yes, I know.  I was crushed when I learned that there was no legal way to get around that 5-year limit they have on cars coming into this country. 

Man, this particular model looks, feels and drives, much better than what they have here now.  As a matter of fact, it is one of the better designs to have hit the road, over and under the hood. 

I am hoping to find one here.  Then, cherry-pick the parts from my baby back home.  Finally, before long, I will have it once again.  :top:

Yeah, this rain and dust are really anti-cabrio.  But, they are nothing that my motorbike and I have not been through.

Wild_1, you might want to contact the big BMW dealers in Saigon or up north. Anybody that has a ride like that over here surely has the maintenance done at the repeatable dealership. I think the guy that was driving the Hummer traded it in for a Escalade, it's black with a 95 plate on it.

Wild1,

"Yes, I know.  I was crushed when I learned that there was no legal way to get around that 5-year limit they have on cars coming into this country."

Can you please explain the 5-year limit law? I am new to this blog and would like to understand more about this VN law.

Amber here's a few links with information for you. I'll see if I can come up with a few more:

http://www.customs.gov.vn/English/Lists … aspx?ID=82

On this one go to D. :

http://www.customs.gov.vn/English/Lists … spx?ID=965

Thanks for the quick response Budman1. I rapidly browsed the links you sent. In a nutshell, it explains the various ways a person can avoid the hefty import tax. One example being: if a person can prove that he/she works for the consulate as a diplomat etc. But I didn't catch where it mentioned anything about 5yrs?

Budman1,

From the look and sound of things, that is more than likely what I will have to do next.

I checked with that big one in Phu My Hung about a year ago.  Man, they were more interested in trying to sell me one of their current European models than what I was looking for.  Plus back then, aside from what they had in the lot, the guys there knew nothing more.  Zip!  Nada!!!  And to cap it all off, they were looking down at me a little for wanting such an 'old car'.

But, they have been in operation for awhile now.  They even have a functional website now.  So maybe, it worths another look.

Amberlulu,

In order to bring a car into Vietnam, that car has to be manufactured NO EARLIER than 5 years, counting from the day that it reaches Vietnamese soil. 

Note:  The manufactured date is on your door stickers.  Usually, it is about a year prior to the model year they use in California.  For example, let's say you have a '12 Toyota Camry.  The manufactured date of that car could easily be '11.

I hope that helps.

Amber, on the first link it's about half way down. It won't let me copy for some reason. The second link would take forever to find it, but it's there.

Change one Amber, that second link might not show it. The date is 2007. I think the 5 year rule was implemented after that.. I should have caught that.

"Change one Amber, that second link might not show it. The date is 2007. I think the 5 year rule was implemented after that.. I should have caught that." 

@Budman: That's okay Budman, from what I saw there is just sooo much technical material to read and the fact certain laws may change on a dime can make it difficult to track.
I do appreciate your good intentions and quick response. Cheers! ( I still like you even though me and the husband normally drink Coors Lite) lol

@Wild1: Yes, I now understand. Thanks to your simple explanation and example. I can see the dilema with your "dream car" considering it was manufactured in the 90's.

Earlier you mentioned cherry picking parts to assemble as an option. It sounds like a slow and tedious process? I'm not a car person but I'm really interested in seeing your "Baby Frankeinstien" :) once you've completed assembling it. Please do post a pic of the final product if you decide to go this route.

amberlulu wrote:

Please do post a pic of the final product if you decide to go this route.

Amberlulu
Since you are asking for it :)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MnaTtm17tmQ/R_C5GgMrSUI/AAAAAAAADlU/ncG4b6SIPIs/s800/car.jpg

Anatta, LOL...omg...thats just so funny! If a stranger like me posted that pic Mr. Wild1 would feel offended. Coming from you (considering you two are old friends) makes it funny. Your version of "Baby Franky" is not how envisioned it in my mind...but pretty darn funny! Can't wait to hear Wild1 response to this. You two are famous for your "verbal jabs" in this forum.lol

A "Baby Frankeinstien", hey???  :dumbom:

What is wrong with names like, "White Chariot" or "Khan's Kar"?

And Anatta,

I am going to pretend that I didn't see that; and you take it off right now, OK?  Making fun of my "Rolling Thunder"...  :dumbom:

Nahhh!!!  Forget it!  That below-the-belt jab hurts.  :sosad:  I would get ready for a serious right-hook, if I were you.  :dumbom:

Better yet, A ROUNDHOUSE KICK to the groin!!!  The gloves are off, buddy...

LOL, I don't know where "Baby Frankeinstein" came from. It's just a thought that came into my mind at the time I was writing that piece. Okay, Okay...from now on I'll affectionately refer to your pet project as "Khan's Kar".
As for you and Anatta..."Let the games begin!..." lol :)

Wild_1 wrote:

I would get ready for a serious right-hook, if I were you.  :dumbom:
The gloves are off, buddy...

https://www.expat.com/forum/img/avatars/285910.jpg

I am so scared. Btw, tough guy, your picture reminds of this. :)

http://creationplacesustainablecommunity.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/blind-farmer-at-work-turkeys.gif

No, man!!!  I don't walk around with an ax in hand.  What the hell are you talking about?  A tin cup or plastic bowl, maybe...

Hi Wild, I hope your able to find and purchase one of those. I am an avid BMW enthusiast. I've had 2 M3's; an e36 coupe, and another e46 coupe. I know what you say about the newer models just being heavier and how they are getting away from being a drivers car. The e46 with its silky smooth inline 6 producing 333 HP was the best car I have ever owned. I traded it in for a 335 twin turbo coupe. What a mistake! Anyways I recently thought about picking up a E46 coupe in America and shipping it here to have with me.... until I found out the taxes. It was a ridiculous amount of money so I decided against it.

Was the picture of that car taken in Vietnam? If it's a 'vert, most likely it would be a 96-99 model year as BMW only made M3 convertibles in those years. Even a 96 would still fetch premium money here.

Jerry,

OOOHHH!  Another real car enthusiast, and a Bimmer one at that.  Welcome, welcome, my man!!!

Now, why can't that Anatta fool or Budman1 be like you, Jerry?  Aside from making and drinking snake oil, I don't know what those 2 Amigos like?  :whistle:

Anyhow, above is not the picture of my car.  Mine is similar, except it has a black interior and clear lights.  But, I am sure it was taken somewhere in the States.  And you are right, judging from the side-marker and side-skirt, it appears to be a '96 or later M3 Cabriolet.  Man, I love that ultimate driving machine...

I bought my first one in the fall of '93, right after my discharge from the service and just before returning to college.  It was a white-on-tan, 325iC.  It was a sweet, sweet ride, dude!  I loved it so much that in the fall of '00, when BMW moved to the e46, I had to scour the southern California dealers for mine.  I wanted a new Estoril Blue on Dove M3, but no luck.  So, I ended up with another Alpine White, on black.  Regardless, it was supposed to be the last car that I was going to buy.  I was more than ready to move on to RVs.

But, too much for that now.  I am just trying to do what I can as we speak.  At the same time, I am also keeping a good eye out for that M1 that they had just rolled out.  It looks pretty sweet, Jerry.

http://images.advanceautocars.com/2011/05/2011-BMW-1-Series-M-Coupe-White-Front-View-1-1024x680.jpg

http://hybridcarrelease.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2012-BMW-1M-Coupe-Rear-Side-Pictures.jpg

The mean looking front and rising tail-light might take the eye a little in getting used to.  But, if push come to shove, I can see myself getting behind one of these.  ONLY the convertible version, though.

Currently, they only come in a coupe and the colors are still pretty limited:  black, white and that brass/copper looking one.  But, they are the closest things to the good old days.  You should check them out. 

As for bringing your car here?  Forget it!  I can show you ways around the taxes, but not that 5 year thingy.  They just don't like your car, man.  The thing is "too old"!!!  :proud

I will keep you posted.
Howie

Hey Howie,

I do agree that the 1 series M is a car  that excites all BMW enthusiasts as  it brings us back to the golden ages of the lightweight 3 series, but as you said, it's looks are a little polarizing to me. Not that I find it unattractive, but to me it doesn't compare to the graceful beautiness of the 3 series coupe. My first m3 was cosmos black on black, but if it were up to me, I would have had the Estoril blue. What a beautiful color. When I traded it in for my e46 M3,  I was torn between the leguna seca blue and imola red. However at the last second, the dealer showed me a Phoenix yellow coupe that I couldn't turn down. I had never seen a color like it before. (it's much different in person than in pictures). Have you ever seen it? I think if I could go back in time though I would get the imola red this time.

I'll have to upload some pics of both of My m3's  It's great to see another car enthusiasts on this forum and in Vietnam. Not having access to my  cars was one the hardest parts about moving here for me, that along with missing my American sports.

- Jerry

Jerry,

Yeah, I think grace is the keyword, when it comes to describing the design of the M1.  It is undoubtedly a beautiful piece.  But, it lacks the grace of the older 3 models.  On the other hand, the current 3s (e82 and e88) just have too much grace.  They look downright feminine. 

As for the Phoenix Yellow...  Yeah, I remember that color.  I think it debuted on the e46, too.  But back then, I had this famous Vietnamese personality coming to SoCal and asked me to help her get a 750 in that color.  I told her that wasn't going to happen, but she insisted.  Well, at Irvine BMW, the salesman just told her straight up, "I am sorry, but we don't make this model in that color.  If you want it, you will have to get it painted elsewhere.  We just don't do that here...  For anybody."  Man, I was like, "Doh!"

Finally, yeah, I miss my car too.  That used to be my favorite passtime, driving down Pacific Coast Highway.  Hey, if I have my car here, I don't think cruising that little street they have by the water, in Vung Tau, is all that bad? 

I am thinking about finding one and buy it here.  Then, gradually, take apart my car and ship it in piece by piece, as I need.  What do you think, hey?  :idontagree:

The last manufacturing year for the E36 was 1997 and i could have sworn i had seen some of the 318i's here from then but not the soft top.

Arshard,

In the States, for some reasons, they stretched the model year all the way to '99.  That was when I ran out and grab my '99 M3 Cabriolet. 

You saw a coup here?  I have yet to see one, let alone a convertible.  The only e36 I have ever seen here was a 320i, a sedan near where I live.  I am keeping a close eye on that guy, right now.  :whistle:

But, if I can't find a way to bring my M3 here, I wouldn't mind getting a lower 3 series, as long as it is an e36 convertible.

You will have to e-bay for spares then man but e-bay doesn't ship here. Well i am sure you will figure out a way!

No, no worry about the parts and maintenance. 

After a couple of trips to the moon with BMW parts and services, I bought the model's repair manual (BMW write excellent repair manuals) and did almost everything myself.

I still remember the last incident, dude:  One of my tail lights went out, but the bulb was still good.  I took it over to the dealer and got a $350 quote from them.  I went onto one of the e36 forums and one of the fellas there told me about the switch on the brake pedal and the repair manual.  I went and bought the manual for $105 and $9 for the switch.  Then, it took greenhorn me half-an-hour and the problem was fixed.

Haven't seen the BMW Parts and Services man since.  :dumbom:

I am coming to you next time, i am useless with fixing stuff that do not involve apparel!

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/16/1151216/1280_3736663465336535.jpg

Man, that is a thing of beauty and an item of grace.  Whoever owns it knows automotive practicality and perfection.

Can't believe people would think that such a materpiece is not worthy of the Vietnamese roads.  :thanks:

Hello,

Yup iv seen one of those on the outskirts of Ho chi minh close to Hoc Mon district, only reason i remember is because i used to have a red one in Sweden as a summer car for 3 years. Nice car to drive, relative cheap insurance (small engine model).

They have a Lotteria at the intersection when you turn to Hoc mon it was parked across the street outside a wedding store. I think it was red but it was more then a year ago so im not sure.

They have large car dealerships in Hanoi where they have more European cars so i would check there if you really really want one to.

/Thenewguy

Hello Thenewguy,

I have long ago determined that I was not going to buy any other car; and I highly doubt that I will go back on that. 

Thank you so much for the tips.  I will start looking into them now.  I have a little time here.  The motorbike is serving me fine, as we speak...

Ashard wrote:

I am coming to you next time, i am useless with fixing stuff that do not involve apparel!

Bring me an e36 with a M52 or S52 and you are good to go.  But, anything other than those, it will take me sometimes to figure it out.  I have not yet seen the thing, OK...