Germans in Pokhara?

Hello All,
I am German and married to a Nepalese. We are thinking about moving to Nepal in 2013 and I would like to gather some information beforehand. I would especially like to know if there are Germans living in Pokhara and what their experience is about living in Nepal.
Am looking forward to your tips and comments.
Thank you

Hallo chrisU,

habe greade deine Nachricht gelesen. Ich werde im nächsten Jahr in Nepal heiraten und hier bleiben und wir planen auch nach Pokhara zu ziehen.

Da dachte ich ich melde mich einfach mal bei dir.

LG Nadine

Hallo Nadine,
Danke für deine Nachricht und Glueckwunsch zur bevorstehenden Hochzeit! :)
Kann ich dich über eine separate Email erreichen, dann könnten wir Erfahrungen austauschen?
Wir haben heute vor drei Jahren in Pokhara geheiratet. :)
Gruß aus London,
Christina

Hello chrisU.

Welcome to Expat.com!

Here is the list of German expatriates in Nepal. :)

PS: This is an Anglophone forum. Can you please both write in english so that other members may understand? ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Welcome to Nepal. I love it here and know you will, too. If you would like info on what it's like to live here you can check out my blog at frugaltravelsnepal.blogspot.com It will help you in a lot more ways than just saving money. Sorry, it's mostly about life in the KTM Valley, but it will whet your appetite for living here. Nepal is really lovely.

I am the only white person in my neighborhood in Bhaktapur, but there are areas like Patan that has many expats living here. You will make more German friends here than you have back home. It's really great to live here as an expat. I know that many of the Nepali have very difficult lives, but as an expat, you don't even have to notice that the electricity is out.

I am living here than more than 20 years and can mention only that the quality of life is decreasing from day to day. power cuts up to 14 hours during the dry season (not everybody can afford a generator, and during diesel shortage, how to run it ?)gas shortages, petrol shortages, bhandhas (general strikes). Expats with a high income can definitely enjoy life beside of those problems, they even drive around with their blue car numbers during strikes. They do not know about the real life here, which can be quite tough.

Thank you both for your replies. Two very different views on life in Nepal. :)
I hope I will also hear from more Germans from the Pokhara area.

hope you will be happy here, if you have the means to cope our daily problems you definitely will. i AM NOT  an expst, just a normal person living here, so my advices might not be valid for youa as you mightbe looking into an expat life. That will be nice of couse, but not reality.

Hi Gerlinde,
I have been to Nepal now a few times and always stayed there within our Nepali families, living their lives in a village etc. I actually have never experienced Nepal as a tourist really and don't intend to do so either as I want to be part of the community. We are planning on moving over there permanently and I hope I will cope with it all once we are there for a longer period. I do believe however that there might be a difference also between living in KTM and Pokhara. I personally prefer Pokhara much more as it is greener, cleaner and less crazy plus has a vast of natural beauty all around, especially with Fewa Lake. Do you live directly on KTM or close to it? Do you have contact to other Germans? My only real concern is the healthcare. Everything else I can possibly adapt to. Well, at least I hope so. :) But we will have to give it a try anyways. Difficult to judge and decide without being there for a while. :)
Would love to hear more from your daily life. 20 years of experience there is something that can only help me in my decisions and preparations. :)