Least stress way to bring Dogs to Cuenca?

We are flying from Houston, Texas to Cuenca. The best flights I have found are about 18 hrs in length counting stopovers. First stop is in Quito, with a 7 hour layover to catch the connecting flight to Cuenca first thing the next morning as the flight from Houston arrives at midnight in Quito.
My question is this. Is there somewhere for the dogs to stay in an open area or do they have to stay in the cages till they are put on the plane to Cuenca?

Is it better to have a layover in Quito for a day to let them regroup as to not have as much stress? And if so, is it difficult to get them back on board to the connecting flight to Cuenca?

One more thing, if you keep them in the terminal are they cared for or just left alone while waiting the 7 hours for the next flight? Will they bring the dogs out for you to watch over till the next flight?

Leaving our dogs is not an option, so don't go there or my wife will stay in the USA. That's a thought though.

We will probably be using United/Continental on the trip to Quito.
Any suggestions on the airline flight to Cuenca from Quito? In other words have any of you had an animal on these flights?
Thanks

Hello Texan.

Welcome to Expat.com!

Hope other members will be able to advise you soon. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

We encountered similar scheduling issues while travelling from New England to Quito.  The problem I discovered is that the customs desk will be closed when you arrive in Quito in the early evening and they just ship the dog into a warehouse where it will remain until the desk opens the next morning (also, they are closed Friday - Monday, I believe so be sure you are not flying on the weekend).  I think I heard that you will be able to visit with the dog to give it water etc, but that you will not be allowed to take it out of the airport.  That was not an option for us and our 65 lb chocolate lab mix either.
If there is any possibility of flying into the country the morning or mid day I would try and make that work to avoid this issue.  Check other airlines and other cities, we had great luck with a South American airline - LAN.
We found a flight on LAN airlines that leaves JFK at midnight and gets us into Guayaquill at 6:00 am.  Then we head to Quito (our final destination).  If all things go smoothly (fingers and toes crossed) our four legged one will only be in the crate for no more then 12 hours total.
Good luck to you and keep searching for other flight alternatives!

Hello,

If you bring your pets to Ecuador you have to do customs for them in the airport !!!!!

You need a vet certificate, vaccines up to date ( rabies !!)an airway bill and something else.

Customs doesn't work on weekends or later than 5 PM.
Then, once in Quito someone has to do the tramit for you.

Texan, if you arrive at midnight you will not be able to flight to Cuenca first hour in the morning !!!

There's only three air companies flying to Cuenca:  Aerogal, Tame and Lan Ecuador. All three are similar, same prices, same schedule, maybe Tame has better chance to load your dogs.

Again, make sure you have all the docs needed. If you need help with this and the customs contact Juan Carlos Montalvo, he works with dogs, do import tramits and can take care of your pets. 

Email: campamento.canino@fa​cebook.com  or visit his Facebook page: camapamento canino.  He speaks English.

Good luck and if you need help once in Cuenca let me know.

Vinny

Hi,
I have done extensive research on moving animals.  Do not hire the services that move animals..They do not tell you anything but what you want to hear.  They do not take the animals to the plane or unload them at destination.  The airline does that.  They do not have access to the pets at all.  Airline Regulations...

Be careful with the animals.  Unless you have a small dog that can go in the plane with you, you will have to send as freight.  Contintental/United will only move the pets with you on the same plane as freight if the plane is 75% or less full.  They also will not commit to you when you buy your ticket in advance.  They will talk with you about carriage only when the flight is scheduled within 72 hours.  In other words, don't book your tickets months in advance and show up with your pets expecting them to ride with you because odds are they won't.  We have been to Ecuador twice and have not found an empty plane yet.
Continental has late arrivals and customs is usually closed when they arrive so the pets are held in a bonded warehouse until the next morning.  They will water and take out of the cage to walk them a bit if they have time......if you want to talk more, I am in transportation and my email is [email protected]

Good luck.

Would a better alternative be to Fly from Houston to Guayaquil and have a van service transport the pets and us to Cuenca? And if so what is a reputable van service?

It doesn't really matter where you fly into but Quito is further away.  I suggest you contact John Davila. His email is [email protected] for transportation from either location.  Great honest American Vet who is also Ecuadorian.  He owns the local Security System company in Cuenca as well.  Good Luck.  Tell him I sent you.

I called United/Continental tonight and verified the statement about them possibly bumping your animal if flight was 75% full or more. They said it was possible, no guarantees. Also that you have a better chance getting your pets along with you after Jan 15 to April 15. Less traffic then. Also they have to go as cargo unless they are a pocket dog. Cost for 3 dogs at 40 lbs and kennel was over $1000. And no guarantee. I called American Airlines and they will take the animals carry on baggage at $175 each animal. Also they said the pets go on first come basis 4 hrs or less before flight. I found a flight from Houston to Cuenca on American for about the same price, but less fee for the pets. Below is the flight schedule. Looks like you will be in the Quito airport for a few hours, but that is no problem.  If anyone has a reason this wont work, please let me know. I picked a monday in January for this flight schedule.

Flights 1570 / 967 / 7651
Flight 7651 operated by LAN Ecuador
2 Stops
Depart: 1:25 PM, Houston, TX (IAH),Arrive: 8:30 AM
Cuenca, Ecuador (CUE),Connect in: Miami, Quito
Total Travel Time: 18 hrs 5 mins

Flight 1
American Airlines, Flight 1570
Depart: 1:25 PM, Houston, TX (IAH),Arrive: 4:50 PM
Miami, FL (MIA)
Boeing 737-800
On Time data not available
Connection Time: 3 hrs 10 mins in Miami, FL (MIA)

Flight 2
American Airlines, Flight 967
Depart: 8:00 PM, Miami, FL (MIA)
Arrive: 12:05 AM, Quito, Ecuador (UIO), Boeing 757, On Time 49%
Connection Time: 7 hrs 30 mins in Quito, Ecuador (UIO)
Next Day Arrival

Flight 3
American Airlines, Flight 7651
Depart: 7:35 AM, Quito, Ecuador (UIO)
Arrive: 8:30 AM,Cuenca, Ecuador (CUE)
Flight 7651 operated by LAN Ecuador
Airbus A320-100/200

Go for it.  Let me know how it goes.  We will be in Cuenca for a month from Dec-Jan maybe we can get together.

Thanks for the info. But I have read in numerous places that you can bring 2 pets per person.
Also, is the desk that does all of this for the animals open all night, or close like they do at Quito?

WOW evcs,thank you for that great update.  Can I ask what airline you flew on? And what time of day/year did you come through? 
We are booked from JFK > Guayaquill > Quito on LAN in August. We are bringing our 65 lb chocolate lab mix and I am very worried about the whole move!

Just spoke to the Ecuadorian counsulate and he said they had never been asked the question of how many pets you can bring. Go figure. He did say no problem bringing 3 if the paperwork is done. Anyone out there have any cold hard facts?

I have contacted a few van transports and have gotten quotes from 90 to 180 dollars for the transport from Guayaquil to Cuenca in a van carrying us and our pets and luggage. They leave as soon as you clear airport as there are no pet friendly hotels that I can find in Guayaquil, and most were booked as it is prime season in January. I agree with the above posts and appreciate the info tha evcs put out there. It seems you can bring 2 pets duty free, and must pay duty for the third. I found flights from Houston to Miami to Guayaquil that arrive in Guayaquil at 8:30 or so on American Airlines and they can go as checked baggage. So we could arrive in Cuenca a little before 2 am. I believe that is the route we will take as it seems the best for the pets and short layover in Miami which aint bad.
Paying the extra money for the safe transport from the airport to Cuenca is well worth it for me. SOMETIMES YOU CANT GO CHEAP. Or as my friend always says "You cant measure pleasure".
Thanks to all the above posts, hopefully people in the future will be able to answer their questions from it.
Also, if anyone flys into guayaquil and goes into Cuenca please post how it was and how you did it.