Expat or immigrant? This article raises some interesting questions...

Hi everyone

I read this article in The Guardian newspaper (a UK paper which leans to left-wing politics if you're unfamiliar with it). It addresses the issue of what it means to be an expat, or an immigrant.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree … sfeed=true

Not only is it an interesting discussion - written by an India who moved to the UK - but there are some useful (and not so useful, alas) comments by readers who respond to it.

Do you call yourself an expat or an immigrant? What does either term mean? As far as I can tell there is a formal definition based on economics and the kind of job you do; but it's also a state of mind, the ways in which you intend to immerse yourself (or otherwise) into the country in which you are a guest.

Namaste,

Phil

Phil,

I got two homes, India and France, due to my mixed parentage. It matters where we're from but what's more important is where we're headed to.

I prefer global citizen to expat/ immigrant. One can choose to remain indifferent or integrate when one moves around the world. I personally can't stand certain cultures in India due to my French upbringing.
I choose to not integrate with them consciously while I'm at ease with most European cultures.
Well personally I prefer a bilingual society like Canada that does not impose itself upon the identity of its citizens.
Indians are a confused lot in their identity, India is a complicated society.

People get bogged down way too easily with semantics.

And Nash...know of any society that isn't "complicated"?

Nash1984 and desiexpat, thanks for the reply. My take is that, in a general outline, these two small words may capture a huge difference between how we see ourselves and how others see us - an 'us' who leave their native land and travel.
It's interesting because there is such thing as an 'expat lifestyle' here in India - which seems outdated now, but still goes on I imagine - and which differs hugely from thinking oneself an 'immigrant', which I suppose I am in one sense.

And yes - which country isn't complicated? That said, I mentioned to my wife the other night: is there a more interesting place to live in and think about than India at the beginning of the 21st century? China, too - but my point was that there is so much thinking and writing (in English, mainly) from India and about India, that it invites discussion and reflection - which is different to China, only in as much that relatively few books and blogs are published about it by comparison. Some of that interest comes from India's challenges but nevertheless.

interesting article...

Nash ,
As  the completely French quite on the contrary have added advantage to integrater ( " inDegrer " ... ) ,
your mixed French parentage ( qui est indien ? le pere ou la mere ?
creates a problem it seems ( " I personally can't stand certain cultures in India due to my French upbringing " ) - while for my son
the mixed parentage is A BOON -- it all depends on upbringing
and the place one lives ( dans notre cas , Chandernagor ,
French Comptoir des indes ) ,
global citizen like his mother ( moi ) and 100 % integrated

India is nor cunfusing nor imposing - you remain out if you choose ,
integration is very tough -
success is very rare

In the cities like Calcutta , expat communities create barriers - you this case state CORRECTLY "  interesting because there is such thing as an 'expat lifestyle' here in India - which seems outdated now, but still goes on - and which differs hugely from thinking oneself an 'immigrant' " -
with a good pinch of arrogancy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada doesn' t impose , but there are big clashes among linguistic communities while in paradox Natives are better integrated - because Canada CHOSE it that way

You are AGAIN correct about India being " a la mode " - sadly expect some better expats ( like my friends creators of India.blognote who sadly left ..................... )
other things are written by ' journalists ' or other kind of ignoramus

lots of delegations all the time , and I have just to remind each & everyone reg. basic formalities !!!!!!!!!
which fits into the subject " knowledge-able insider , or outsider thinking things here run like in Europe ! "

ah sorry Phil Greany said the part about India being in vogue ,
sadly ' news ' of least commendable depth * vision
generally

Neline,

C'est ma mere qui est francaise. She is Roman Catholic and my father is a Punjabi Hindu. It is just interesting to know that your son is integrated. I am a lawyer by profession and several times, I had to integrate quickly with the Hindi milieu in the North during court litigations and the defense of my clients. I found it easier to integrate with them than other cultures as my Hindi and Punjabi are as good or even better than the natives. But still, French culture is what is close to my heart and I carry it with me.
For me, the French and European way of life is more to my taste than the Indian lifestyle.