Beware of the Snake Oil Salesman, guys!!!

Hello guys,

When I was back in the States, I used to get great kicks out of watching the US Food and Drug Admistration bust con artists for scamming consumers with their miracle cures.  God!  The length that those Snake Oil Salesmen went through to stage their junks and the lack of common sense exhibited by those who fell prey were downright hilarious.  That was cool, because in the US, we had a little more discretionary income and information was more readily available.

But here, in Vietnam?  I think the Snake Oil business is evil, considering the conditions and circumstances.  It is not funny!  Therefore, read this link guys and pass it onto your families and friends.  These people's claims are bogus and should be banished.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForConsume … 302359.pdf 

Best wish,
Howie

What? You mean the rhinoceros horn hand brought from South Africa and sold  for up to 100 000 dollars/kg, live monkey brains, desserts with gold dust, tiger penis soup, bear bile sold here and elsewhere in Asia are all for naught?

Get real, amigo, listen to the wisdom of the sage rich. Eat them' exilir (if you can afford them) and live to be 100 years old (at least). BTW, they are not for the filthy poor, so don't you worry about them.

"Dusty Bottom,"

Man, all of that 'wellness' BS I see here is getting to me!  At least in the States, they were articulate.  Here...  Because of the lack of oversight, they are just blatantly BAD!

Maybe, on one of these better days, I will start a campaign to get these clowns locked up for their unscrupulous schemes.  And here, I might even try to get the keys thrown away, too.  :proud

People in VN are going crazy for Herbalife products. Their sign-up meetings are crowded.

All this allowed to go on even though Herbalife have hassles with so many regulatory authorities, even in the USA.

Then there is the recycled cooking oil business that the Cong An still hasn't completely shut down. Popular with street food vendors.

And the injected Jackfruit, Durians, etc. can still be seen in some markets.

Talking about Snake Oil Salesmen, did you see:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=177916

Jaitch,

I did see that one.  As a matter of fact, one of their Vietnamese agents came to my place of business a couple of months ago and I literally kicked him out of the doors.

I just don't get it:  don't these people know when or where to stop, man?  Talk about market research and finding your niche...  Seriously, when I settle down a little, I am going to try and get all of these medicine-men locked up, or at least, thrown out of Vietnam.  :dumbom:

I agree with your fustration Wild1. It's such a shame to see these these predators trying to make a quick buck by taking advantage of un-aware citizens. Victims falling prey to buy junk and in some cases dangerous junk. An uncle of mine in VN recently died from drinking some type of wine concoction at a wedding reception that someone convinced him would bring him "verility and strenth". Many others from the same party were taken to the hospital.

is it me or are you 2 Jaitch and Wild_1 the same person?
you're throwing up topics and juggling with yourselves
we're all aware of that, but where in this world is all the food completely under control? Not in china, not in USA, where the FDA could check only 10% of all the food they give out certifications

rojamin wrote:

is it me or are you 2 Jaitch and Wild_1 the same person?
you're throwing up topics and juggling with yourselves
we're all aware of that, but where in this world is all the food completely under control? Not in china, not in USA, where the FDA could check only 10% of all the food they give out certifications

Rojamin my ignorant brother, the intent of Wild1 and Jaitch by discussing this topic in this open forum is to bring AWARENESS. A friendly reminder of some of the social evils of certain individuals trying to take advantage of others (robbing of their time, money, and worst their health).

We all know that this is not a PERFECT world and that the FDA cannot police all products and services as you mentioned. For this reason, this is precisely why we should use this forum to bring constructive dialogue and AWARENESS. It is not a waste of time as you suggest: "you're throwing up topics and juggling with yourselves
we're all aware of that, but where in this world is all the food completely under control?"

Please adopt a more positive attitude, I realize one person cannot change the world, but if we collectively put effort into the same fight, together can make a difference.

Regards, Me

Rojamin,

No, judging from the increased number of con artists here, not everyone is aware!  What we are all well-aware of is the imperfections around the world.  Now, that is old news!

Make some good use of your communication skills, man.

Amberlulu,

Thank you.  Very well said.

I am really sorry about your uncle.  Just one of these days, my friend, I am going to make these clowns pay...

Wild1, You are a true scholar and a gentleman. I appreciate you, Jaitch and many others on this forum that promote CONSTRUCTIVE dialogue and pass on valuable information.

Regards, Me

sorry for the impulsive reactions, it probably because I read and heard about such too much these days and I don't know you guys personally, therefore no good gripe of the sources of the articles and the purpose given above.

Romajin, apology accepted...Peace my brother :)

Hi gang,

Amberlulu, thanks for the kind words.  Like I had mentioned, I used to find such low-ball tactics and ignorance (on the parts of the American consumers) amusing.  But not here, not in Vietnam, where the playing field is not so level. 

Many of the folks at the root of these evils are unscrupulous foreigners, even Viet Kieus at times.  They come in here, take advantage of a corrupt system, make millions and leave everyone empty-handed and dumbfounded.  They have been so successful that a few even think that this fine forum is an OK place for them to promote their schemes.  That is what I find highly offensive.

Rojamin, you are a well-spoken young man.  You should try to educate others more.  Believe me, dude, there are still millions who think Snake Oil works here. 

That Anatta fool buys a lot; he even drink Snake Oil for immortality.  :dumbom:

Howie

Regards,
Howie

Not all snake oil, man. Who do you I am? only snake oil of highest quality, like cobra snake oil, or even better the St. Lucia Racers. Talk about perfect combination of fruity aroma, bitterness and pungency. Anyway, I digress.

PS: I think I'll abstain from commenting your picture out of respect for human decency, and community standards :offtopic:.

Howie, put the monkey's back up, yikes

Rojamin,

I forgot about Budman1 and another amigo, Arshard Dean.  Together with Anatta, they form the 3 Amigos and circle the globe, looking for the finest snake oils to make their immortality drinks.  They chow them down, too.  :dumbom:

What picture?  I still see the 3 Wise Men...  Somewhat stretched out, but that is all I see.  My picture can't look all that bad, does it Budman?  After all, that is a mortal, a good-looking mortal.  No snake oil, no monkey brain...  Maybe a couple of rats and a few dogs, but no snake oil, my friend.  :thanks:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Eo22DL_CWGM/T5XDjnx5g-I/AAAAAAAABTI/IWsXs_xRFrc/s1600/scream-16_6155.jpg

If Munch is too sophisticated for you, then may be this

http://www.thejayfk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/WTF.jpg

Anatta,

What the hell are you talking about?  I can't see anything other than the old monkeys.  I wonder why that is:  you guys see it and I don't?

THIS is what scares the hell out of us

https://www.expat.com/forum/img/avatars/285910.jpg

That's slick Anatta. How did you post that. Howie,  try closing the site and open it back up again.

Still not working, Amigos.  I still see the 3 Wise Ones.  But, my avatar is different on your screen, right?

Hey, Anatta, what are you doing with my picture?  :dumbom: 

Yeah, how do you put the picture onto your post, again?  I tried to do that with the bike picture, but it only came out with a link?

To put any picture on your posting.

1. You upload the picture on the net. Try any of those free image hosting sites OR just find a picture only loaded already by someone else.

2. Go to that picture. Right click on it to display a menu. Choose "Copy address image" or similar command, depend on the browser.
The image address is now copied. For example, by right clicking on Howie's horrible picture and choose "Copy address image", the following address is copied by the browser:

3. Go your post. Click on the image icon with a link below on the top of this regular box. It is the FOURTH icon counting from the right. The right most icon would be the smiley one, i.e., the icon you click on if you want to put a smiley like this :lol:.

The browser would run a Javascript to prompt you for the image address.
Type Ctrl V --> it would then paste the copied image address into the requested field. In this case, the address "https://www.expat.com/forum/img/avatars/285910.jpg" would be pasted.
The script will then ask you what realignment you'd like: C for center, L for Left,.... Type C if you want to center the image.

The browser with then paste the following code in the reply.

"[img ] https://www.expat.com/forum/img/avatars/285910.jpg[/img ]"

When you post it, the code will automatically display the nightmare,a.k.a. the picture of the vampire himself.

Anatta,

I was going to thank you for reminding me how to post pictures on here.  But, since you used terms like "horrible" and "evil" to describe me, NO.  I WON't!!!  :whistle: 

I will give you more of this  :dumbom:

Hey, but I thought I changed my avatar already?  Changed the 3 Wise Men to the Good Angel himself...

First you offended me by insinuating that I am not a connoisseur by buying any snake oil. Now, you are putting words in my mouth. When did I use the word 'evil'? :rolleyes:

What do I think about the picture?
Really sexy. Showing off the tattoo and just enough of the bosoms, but hiding the low-slung bikini. Classy :top:. Too bad they don't have Tiffany show here :mad:.

Anatta,

Sorry, you are right: you didn't use the E word, you used the V one, which is even worst!!!  :dumbom:  But, my bad, nonetheless.  I promise I will never put words in your mouth again...  Next time, I will be putting something else.  :dumbom:

Also, us southern Cal beach boys don't wear bikinis, man!  We designed the board shorts so that none of us will end up with those disgusting, underwear-looking clads. 

Don't you and Budman wear them flimsy skin clads, chill out by the water and chow down your vitality drinks?  I can see you, man:  you in tiger stripes and Budman in rattle snake skin...  :thanks:  RRRHHH!!!

On a more serious note, why can't I see the change in my avatar?  I tried Bubman's suggestion, I even logged off and then back on again, but I still see the 3 Fur Balls. 

But, I had to change my avatar, man.  The shamans were getting pissed at me.  :sosad:

it seems that your browser doesn't seem to download the updated graphics, by some reasons.
Try to clear the cache to see whether it helps.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache

Anatta,

That worked!  :thanks:  I can now see what I am doing.  I owe you one, man.  The next time I go to HCMC, I will bring you some cobra bloods, or would you like some bats'?

Now, let's get back to the Snake Oil business.

Thanks Anatta. I was wondering how you and Howie were able to do that.

Hi Gang,

Clearing the cache worked like a charm.  I can now see what the honorable one looks like on here.  :proud

But too bad, the Snake Oil Salesmen are gone.  I looked for them last night, but had all vanished.  That is good, though; they don't belong here.  I hope that they had the decency to omit themselves, or was the mod responsible for their disappearance?  Either way, that works for me. 

Now, I must go put the wood away.  Or should I save it for the 3 Amigos?

Howie

Budman,

So you still remember the images of your stove that I put on here, hey?  Or was it the other 3 amigos of yours?  :proud

I agree that selling fake health supplements to an unknowing people is a widespread and horrible, yet, common practice here (everywhere, actually).  It is saddening to see the things that people do to each other for money.  However, it's the same old song and dance.

Also, don't be so trusting of the FDA.  They have their share of scandals for approving dangerous substances.  If you look deep enough, you will see that many institutions are corrupted by private interests.  For example, look up "aspartame."

Aquameo,

It is always naive to count on governmental bodies for your financial and physical well beings.  There is only so much that such entities can do to protect you.  But, compare the FDA to what they have here and you can't help but feel sorry for the Vietnamese public.

Amway, or Scamway, is in town as well. 

Thank God I was able to buy the Thu Thiem Tunnel from that smooth talking salesmen on Pham Ngu Lao!  I'm meeting him later to buy all of the bridges and the airport, as well as the B&O + Reading Railroads.

Legendary Landmark Scams.

Choo-choo!

Thanks Teacher Mark.

That is amazing!  That reminds me of the joke, "the word 'gullible' is not in the dictionary," that my friends and I used to pull...

I wonder what these guys are going to try and sell us next, the moon?

Wild_1 wrote:

I wonder what these guys are going to try and sell us next, the moon?

Wanna buy some property?

lunarregistry.com

What...  TF?  The moon is up for grab now??? 

I guess I better get on it, before it is all sold out...

What about you guys, huh, how much of the moon did each of you get?

Wild_1 wrote:

What...  TF?  The moon is up for grab now??? 

I guess I better get on it, before it is all sold out...

What about you guys, huh, how much of the moon did each of you get?

I've already promised the moon to at least one woman, so I called it first.