Hello, I am new here! (Officially arriving Dec 2012)

Hi hi, I am Hazel, and will be a trailing spouse to hubbs who is posted to Shanghai/Beijing (actual destination TBC end of this month) in 2013 (we would arrive in mid Dec this year though to sort out all necessities such as accommodation and education for kids).

WHAT TO BRING
I understand there are several Singaporeans/Malaysians in Shanghai/Beijing? Is there a need for me to pack all the supplements, common medications for kids (such as Neurofen), spices and premixes (e.g. sambal, turmeric, curry powder) and milk formula for kids, or are these sufficiently (and safe?) stocked in the supermarkets?
Are there any must-pack suggestions, coming from Singapore?

KIDS & SAFETY
Now and then, there are some reports of contaminated milk/food products so we are concerned for our young kids. Are these reports grossly exaggerated?
Also, I read news on quite a number of child abduction cases and am interested to know the actual situation, if you have the info.

KIDS & EDUCATION
I have two kids, a 3-year-old little girl and a 9-year-old son, both whom I love more dearly than anyone/anything else! My major concern is if they would cope well in the school system in Shanghai/Beijing. They would probably need to go to an international school and we are hoping they could be in the same school/campus. Considering between YCIS and SSIS (in Shanghai) OR BSB, Dulwich and WAB (in Beijing), or are there better options that we have missed? I would definitely be tutoring the two daily, just as I do currently in Singapore, especially for my older one who is currently in Primary 3.
We would basically stay where the children's school is but I would really appreciate any advice at all on where are the ideal residential areas (safe neighbourhood and conveniently located with well appointed facilities and amenities, such as supermarket, access to taxis, gym, etc)?

JOB OPPORTUNITIES
I am currently an English and Lifeskills lecturer in Singapore (previously, a MOE Secondary School teacher of English, Literature and History, and had operated and ran a childcare centre and a Before&After-School student centre for 4 years). I would be bored to tears if I am merely staying home the year round, so wondering if anyone might advise me on the possibilities of employment as a teacher/tutor?
I am more interested in offering tutoring services at my home - is that possible?

COMMUNITY EVENTS
Are there any potluck sessions or other community events held where the birds of the same feathers =) can flock together for culinary delights, etc...

Sorry for the extremely long list of queries and I am really looking forward to hearing from all of you. Everything is just a hazy mess to me right now! Thanks and have a great week ahead, guys!

Hello Hazel.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Concerning the job, you can try to post an advert in the jobs in Shanghai section. It can be useful.

You can also read this article on Job in China.

I hope members will be able to give you some advices.

All the best in your project,
Aurélie

Hi, Hazel,

our family just moved from beijing to shanghai last week.My son is 6yrs old, and just finished year 1 in BSB(Sanlitun campus), in whick he had a great year and established deep bond with teachers and friends. The campus was is small, good side is it is easier for kids to built relationship with friends in different ages. We lived in central park, a international compound(CBD area) with 10 mins drive to school. The environment is very family friendly. If you feel it's a little far, then embassy house is also nice and much closer to school.

Talking about shanghai, we are also new to here. To make the school transfer easier,we will put our son to the british school of sh, and will see how everything goes. The compound We are living is called yanlord riverside in Pudong, and is really nice.

Hi Arinna, thanks for your tips! I'm actually rather undecided about just packing and going ahead as you might have heard how the Singapore education system is, but I'm very attracted by the prospect of offering my children (and myself) the opportunity to experience life outside Singapore. It'd offer us much invaluable insights and broaden our horizons! Hubby studied overseas and went backpacking for months so he'd that experience long ago. I'd have to put my older one in an international school and tutor him daily using the syllabus by Singapore's ministry of education everyday. I'd look at the locations you had highlighted and perhaps we might even meet :) From your experience, is it easy to be enrolled in these schools if we only intend to start the kids in Jan next year, as that's when we'd have settled in ( intending to reach in mid Dec to settle the accommodation and application of schools) or should I already highlight my intents to the respective schools by end of this month? Thanks!!! And enjoy yourself in Shanghai! I'm so looking forward to it all!!!

Hi Aurelie, thanks :) you're very kind. I'm looking forward to any advice I could receive to make better, informed choices :) have a great weekend ahead!