MOVING TO CAMBODIA in SEP 2012

Hi everyone,
I am Raja from India. I have been offered a Lecturer job in Phnom Penh. Please help me in figuring the total expense for an individual expatriate(per month including all expenses). Consider that i stay in a standard & safe accommodation with facilities to wash & cook. I am really confused by reading too many articles from the web & couldn't conclude the monthly expense.

Please suggest me. I would be really thankful to you.

Hello Raja.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantinme, you can go through the other threads on Cost of Living on the Phnom Penh forum. It can help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Raja,

The cost of living in Cambodia is relatively cheap as compared to other countries in Asia. It would definitely depend on your lifestyle. Will the school be providing your visa and accommodation? It would be greatly helpful if they provide both. And will you be paid by the hour or monthly? There are quite a lot of holidays in Cambodia so if you get paid by the hour it would mean no work, no pay.. I hope I've helped a bit.

Thanks jenny.
University will be offering me a Business Visa & complimentary lunch (No breakfast & Dinner). I will be paid on monthly basis & also for the additional hours i work. Fixed salary would be USD 1700. How much would be my saving potential after all expenses?

Please suggest. I am already working & now in a position to choose the best in all aspects.

Hi!

If you choose to live in a simple apartment then you would be able to save quite well. I can not tell you the exact amount of the savings you can make a month but I think you will be getting paid well and you will be able to save. But then again, it would depend on your lifestyle in this city.

Thank u...

which university / :)

ZAMAN UNIVERSITY :)

hmm.. then u better ask them if they provide accommodation :D.. was hoping i could give u more info abt the rent in that area but honestly i'm clueless..its all the way in the other side of PP .. most of the "foreigner"places  are around tultom pong(aka russian market )& BKK ...this city isnt that big but transportation does create problems

They wont provide :( I tried to convince them but failed... How much should I spend per day for traveling if I stay at FOREIGNER places :)

if u take a motto it will be cheaper.by tuk tuk it costs abt 8 dollars with return from the russian market to ur university

u can take a motodp any time though  n u'll spend about 2 dollars daily 0_O

Camko City condo is about 1.8 kilometer from Zaman University according to google earth. I think you can rent a furnished 2 bed rooms 2 bath room about $700. If you share with other then it would be great. I heard it is very safe because only high class people and foreigners who can afford to stay here. There is security guard 24/7. I saw some video in youtube if you search for Camko City. I hope this information can help you.

Thank U :)

For me it would be about 700-1000 per month.

if you deduct your meals and accommodation fee from your fixed salary, you would save 1000$ at most.