Health insurance for artists

Germany -and especially Berlin - is really becoming a mecca for expat artists of all kinds. The booming scene and what is seen as a city with a relatively low cost of living make it attractive!
These artists still have to get health insured, though! And many donŽt have a lot of spare cash!!!
So, what can you do?
Well, since 1983 there has been the so-called "Künstlersozialkasse ", an organisation which helps ensure affordable public health insurance for certain professions but with strict criteria.
The KSK itself is not a health insurer (Krankenkasse ) but you submit your application directly to them. If successful ( but it can take many months and there is no guarantee of acceptance ), a freelance/self-employed artist is actually treated as an employee (!!) and so is guaranteed access to one of over 200 public Kassen - with the KSK paying around half of your statutory contribution!
This is also interesting for non-EU citizens who otherwise wouldnŽt usually have access to public health insurance.
The price depends on your income as is always the case with public insurance.
However: one downside is being part of the public system also means having to pay nearly 10% of your gross earnings into the national pension plan..which may end up being more expensive than just taking out a private health insurance plan if youŽre not intending to stay very long term!
Bear in mind, though, it can take many months (6-8 sometimes ) to get accepted so you have to have some kind of legal health insurance running before acceptance!

Hi!

IŽll write some facts about my situation, maybe someone can say, what can I do about the health insurance, right now I donŽt have any.

I moved here 1 year ago with my boyfriend(german), I registrated myself (IŽm from Estonia), took language courses and then just lived here, I was making art, but never worked here in Berlin. I had no insurance and now I want to clear this thing. Is it possible, that IŽll get problems that I didnŽt have insurance all this year?

I continiue to live like that - making art, maybe sometimes selling something, but living without stable income. Is so-called "Künstlersozialkasse" something for me?

Where I can start?

IŽm thankful about every tips.

Maarja

Hello Maarja! it is difficult to get into the artistsŽinsurance - proof of income, proof of your status etc. Even if they take you, itŽll take months - maybe 6-8. The problem is: you would then get into public insurance and they would say " whoops, you havenŽt paid into the system all this time" and would expect backpayments. There is, however, no guarantee they would take you - and you could have an accident or a serious illness in the meantime ( not that I wish that). Your best bet is to sign first of all for a legally acceptable international health insurance to cover you for worst case scenarios and then reassess later.

Thank you for answer, John!
Do you think theyŽll say it everywhere, this: "whoops, you havenŽt paid into the system all this time and we would expect backpayments" :)
I donŽt have any money, so IŽll go to prison, or what. As you see, IŽm a bit afraid of German Money System...IŽm out of NORMAL, so I have problems and I wonder how to come in there.

yes, the law demands backpayments! No prison -donŽt worry!But they CAN throw you of the country. The other issue now: if you come to Germany and donŽt get publicly insured within 3 months, they will no longer accept applications anyway. So you need to be active and get a legal international insurance - you NEED health insurance anyway.

Ok, I put my attention on the legal international insurance now, maybe it helps me to go on without beeing thrown out of the country. 

Many thanks,
M.

Good luck!

If someone is in same trouble I am, itŽs good to talk them first: http://www.hilfelotse-berlin.de/detail/ … aid/93807/

M.