Teaching in Cartagena

Hi,

I'm a British person currently teaching English in Santiago Chile. I have a contract to teach here until December this year. Time seems to be going so quickly that I've started to think about what to do when I finish.

I have the option of returning to London and return to my old job where I have sabbatical leave until March. However I have really enjoyed teaching that I would like to continue doing it for another year.

I don't want to stay in Chile. I would absolutely love to go to Cartagena, Colombia. But I have no idea where to start looking. I've carried out google searches for various combinations of "Cartagena" and "TEFL/ESL jobs" but there is not much information forthcoming.

It would be great if someone could recommend sites that I should look at and/or institutions that I should contact.

Also, what are the pay and conditions like? Currently I live very comfortably in Santiago and I'm not sure if I'd want to live hand to mouth - haven't done that since being a student some years ago!

Is it a realistic expectation to want to live relatively comfortably teaching English in Cartagena?

Alternatively, are there other destinations you would recommend that I consider?

A bit about me: I'm 32 year old male. I have substantial experience in the private sector (non ESL) and about 2 years experience teaching English. I have a British university degree and a CELTA teaching qualification.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Alistair

Hello Alistair.

Welcome to Expat.com!

In meantime, you can post an advert in the jobs in Cartagena section. It might be useful. :)

This article on Work in Colombia can help too.

Good luck in your research,
Aurélie