MOT in Malta

Surely for you to drive it here it has to have been registered here!

and it must be taxed here and you cant get that without a valid insurance and VRT (mot)

and anything unpaid here in trying to get tax or insurance will show up in malta and it will have to be paid before you can get either.

Hi Ndrew,

as toon suggests I see serious problems ahead !

You should check out the legal obligations for living in Malta and driving a Hungarian registered car. If you live in Malta (resident/ID card) you cannot drive a Hungarian registered car in Malta without paying registration/insurance and road tax in Malta.

You don't give enough information to judge your situation.

But you will certainly have to renew your MOT in Hungary.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ndrew,

the wardens don't care about the car registration but the tickets might have made the authorities aware of the illegal driving.

It is the TM roadblocks and checks that you have to fear!

If the Hungarian authorities allow you to do the MOT in Malta that is in their jurisdiction.

You might not have to worry about MOT as you could end up having your car impounded in Malta until you pay the registration tax and have it registered in Malta if TM catch you-)))

You should not drive your car in Malta anymore and try to leave the island on one of the next ferries. They might not notice that you've been driving illegally but the two tickets are bad !

Cheers
Ricky

You have an ID card, so therefore you have declared that you are resident in Malta - that means you cannot drive any foreign plated car in Malta (unless you have permission from TM) - it also means you must have a residency certificate, and a tax number.

How long have you been living in Malta ?

unpaid tickets will show up and maybe the next time a warden stops you he may enforce it to be confiscated and impounded.

It all seems so confusing! I am not sure abOut the I'd cards or owning a car!! I have Maltese citizenship as I am entitled it through my father and grandfather. When I arrive at the end of the year, do I need to go and get an I'd card? Also can I just buy a car ? I will be there for a year.
Cheers

Hi Ndrew,

tell them what you want ! They might not be that stupid.

The fine is 30 € /day. In your case that would be approx. 10.800 € in the meantime after 1 year.

Cheers
Ricky

SO YOU ARE GOING TO LIE...drive illegally and run up massive fines.. great start to life on the island.

Groto wrote:

It all seems so confusing! I am not sure abOut the I'd cards or owning a car!! I have Maltese citizenship as I am entitled it through my father and grandfather. When I arrive at the end of the year, do I need to go and get an I'd card? Also can I just buy a car ? I will be there for a year.
Cheers

Anybody who lives here for more than 3 months has to apply for an ID card (unless they manage to get an extension to their tourist visa if non-EU)

Anybody can buy a car, residents and non-residents

Thanks for the answers guys. :)