Canadian-Libyan broohaha

Does anybody know and have tips about the diplomatic fracus between Canada and LIbya and the fallout for Canadians here in Libya?  My husband is Canadian for now, is trying to finish his American citizenship, has appointment for hearing/test in States on Oct 21 but has been told he can leave Libya, but they will not let him back in.  Canadian Embassy has been NO help at all. 

Do you long-timers have experience/witness of similar collective punishments by Libya against citizens of a country they're made at?  I was told for example that my visa would take 4-6 months cause I'm American, but it only took a few weeks. 

Should we be super worried, or concerned about not only his trip now, but our Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks?

I have similar concerns.

Does he already have his exit visa?  I am worried that they may tie our passports up in immigration for a year...

Who said they won't let him back in?  Was it the visa team at the company?

I'm new to Libya don't know much how things work here, but
couple of my Canadian co-workers going on roataion/field break in a few days have been told the same...They can leave the country but they can't come back...It is one way ticket...

Please share if get any updates..

Wowsers, that is pretty nuts!  Now if only this will last until I leave in November....I could use a good break from this place, that's for sure.

I have contacted the Canadian Embassy - I don't work so I have all day to keep on their butts til I get some answers.

I'll update once I hear more.

The Colonel does hold a grudge, there is no doubt about that.  Canadians are the new Swiss it seems.

another guy from Calgary has his passport stuck with immigration for last two weeks.  Company had applied for resident+exit visa for him.  People at company who deal with immigration has no clear information, they say that might happen.

More to do with our retard PM Harper, I don't know what he was trying to achieve.

So I got the story from the Embassy...

They have also heard these rumors but have had no confirmed cases of denied re-entry reported by Libyan authorities or by Canadian citizens.  If you know someone who has been denied re-entry please have them call the embassy at +218 21 335 1633 to relay their story.  This would greatly aid their investigations I am sure.

The Canadian embassy is investigating these rumors currently and are planning to send out further information to all Canadians registered with the embassy by the end of the week.  If you are not registered go to the voyage.gc.ca site to get yourself registered as a Canadian abroad.

Let's keep each other updated as things develop.

From LaurieLoo: "So I got the story from the Embassy...

They have also heard these rumors but have had no confirmed cases of denied re-entry reported by Libyan authorities or by Canadian citizens.  If you know someone who has been denied re-entry please have them call the embassy..."

So does this mean they won't do anything UNTIL someone is denied re-entry?  Isnt' it enough that Canadians are being told by company visa coordinators that re-entry is no longer garanteed?  So a Canadian goes on leave or a business trip out of Libya, the spouse, child and home and office still in LIbya, then we find out upon return that re-entry is not going to be allowed, THEN the Canadian embassy does something?  Is my husband, currently scheduled to leave on Wednesday for a 10 trip to states to take care of things at our house and his American citizenship hearing/test supposed to be the F**ing test case???

I'm working myself into a tizzy just writing this all down.

WTF!!!

Hi
just to add latest on the topic, i went to see HR department of my company and was informed that all movement regarding visas (either exit/reentry or family) is stopped for time being and will take some time to resolve. Now this "some time" is undefined so its wait and see situation at the moment.
it needs to be addressed at higher level (government).
the picture is unclear at the moment.
hope that canadian consulate is aware of the situation. i suggest that we should infrom them about individual situation
i was about to sponsor my family from canada and now i am told to wait.
it took a while to defuse the same type of situation, swiss episode.
lets hope it is resolved soon.
rgds
waqas

Sorry Justice, maybe I should clarify.  What they told me is that they don't have any confirmed reports, just rumors.  I, (me and myself and I), suggest that anyone who has confirmed reports should inform the embassy in order to aid their investigations.  They did not ask for any sacrifical lambs.  We all sympathize with you.  Sorry if I made it sound as though they were looking for volunteers to test the water as they did not suggest that at all.

What's this wahala all about, I haven't seen anything on the usual sites. Is it the usual "someone" throwing his toys out of the cot because he doesn't like what's been said?

thanks Laurieloo!  good to know they're not asking for anyone to fall on the swords so to speak.  nevertheless, we are still screwed since we were about to hire a roofer to tear off/replace the roof of our house and it's something we wanted to be present for.

Not to mention his citizenship hearing/test. 

Both can be rescheduled, but we really don't want another Michigan winter on our house's roof.

Good to have you back Sandman.

The story is unclear though there was a planned trip to Canada after the UN meeting in New York that was cancelled for undisclosed reasons.  Most of what I have heard is through the rumor mill but it seems we ruffled a few feathers in the Great White North by either 1) refusing the big guy entry all together or 2) planning on reprimanding him for the handling of Al-Megrahi's return. 

Hope it all works itself out here relatively painlessly and quickly, (especially for Justice who needs to get things done ASAP).

I suspect it has more to do with the ongoing Verenex issue.

NOC have been trying to muscle their way into nationalizing this minnow Canadian operator for a while now, and what with the recent changes at the top at NOC, the big man has started waving his big stick to try and get his way. IMO.

Something here which gives more backround:

Libyan oil politics

And here:

Verenex deal on/off???

This is how it started.......

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/09/2 … ml?ref=rsshttp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,556023,00.html

I have heard from Libyans that their understanding was that he was denied permission to enter Canada.  You can see what the Western news reports, (nice links waqa).  There seems to be a bit of a discrepancy so it boils down to "Who's propaganda do I choose to believe today??"  I imagine the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I thought Verenex was all sewn up.  I had no idea it was ongoing still.  Very well could be a correct presumption on the role that deal is playing here Sandman.

I don't beleive for half a second that this has anything to do with the Al-Megrahi homecoming. Many other countries were far more vocal in condemning the hero's welcome given to the bomber, none of whom (Britain and the USA in particular) have been the subject of any repercussions!

Also of intrerest is PetroCanada's reluctance to commit to their huge 500 well development programme.....

Are you implying that there could be a fight over oil???  NAHHH!  That's ludicrous, no way, never happens, lol:

Crazy situation. Let's wait and see and be prepared for a worst situation. I think this is an unofficial revenge of Libya against Canada's response to their leader's planned visit. But these kind of revanges affect common people severely as compared to government authoritues.

Let's hope is blows over in a few weeks like the Dutch one did earlier this year (or was it last year).

justice4pal wrote:

Should we be super worried, or concerned about not only his trip now, but our Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks?

Thanksgiving is today - it's probably too late to leave to celebrate.

Gabacho wrote:  "Thanksgiving is today - it's probably too late to leave to celebrate"

We're talking American Thanksgiving - we get several days off and were planning R&R in Malta.

I also emailed the embassy yesterday.  This was their response that I received this morning.

"Dear Madame,

Some Canadians have been contacting us recently over the situation regarding Libyan immigration, mainly exit and re-entry stamps, for residence visa holders. I appreciate receiving this information and we are working hard to distinguish between actual events and rumours that circulate on this subject. Please be aware that the Canadian Embassy is approaching the Libyan government and raising the issues that have been passed on to us from the Canadian community. We are seeking clarifications and assistance in getting the visa problems addressed.

Please note that we have not had anything official on this subject from our Libyan counterparts.

Best regards,"

That was it, (it wasn't even signed oddly enough).  It ain't much but I said I'd keep you posted.

I have submitted my and the family's passports for exit/re-entry stamps. I am told by our Admin people that I will get the passports back in a couple of days. I will let you know if there are any delays.

My queries about this issue have resulted in the reponse that yes there are some murmurs about delays in issuing visas etc but nothing official has been sent to any govt. office in this regard.

During the Swiss problem an offcial document was sent to all relevant departments to cancel visas etc.

Regards

Good luck - do keep us posted please.

I was told by one of my friends working in Waha oil. He received an official letter from the company which says all Canadians working for Waha oil should provide us their contract ending dates and their vacation plan. Letter says now onwards exit re-entry for Canadian would be first approved by NOC so it may delay this process.

Lets see what happens with Siddiqui's exit re-entry……Which will give us the clear pciture

Showing an uncharacteristicly optimistic behaviour, my husband packed for his trip to the states last night.  He's told me he needs the exit visa with re-entry stamped in his passport in time to leave for the airport by 12.  So I wait to see if he makes the journey or not.  I am worried though, that even with a re-entry, he could be refused entry upon returning. 

This is all so damn unnecessary.

justice4pal wrote:

Showing an uncharacteristicly optimistic behaviour, my husband packed for his trip to the states last night.  He's told me he needs the exit visa with re-entry stamped in his passport in time to leave for the airport by 12.  So I wait to see if he makes the journey or not.  I am worried though, that even with a re-entry, he could be refused entry upon returning. 

This is all so damn unnecessary.

Unnecessary, yes.  But this is why they pay you expat wages - to help put up with this kind of stuff.

Is being here on an American passport really going to be that much better? Next week the US could be going through the same thing (plus paying US taxes on the income you make here).  The Dutch went through this earlier this year and it blew over after a few weeks.

Gabacho,

"but this is why they pay you expat wages. To help put up with this kind of stuff."

???????

Excuse me??????!!!!! I don't even know where to start to reply. 

I have been an expat at least one-third of my life - as a child of expats, as a young, single adult, and now as a wife and mother.  There are many reasons my husband and I choose to be expats and money is not and never will be the reason I will go overseas and then put up with this crap. There is not enough money ever in our current or projected income stream to compensate for this crap.

We will continue to put up with this mess not because we get the big expat bucks but for many other reasons. Exploration, adventure, seeing the world with other eyes, seeing myself and my country with other eyes, meeting Libyans and people from all over the world.  That's just a few reasons why we choose to stay here and will go onto other countries later.  There are many more.  So please do not assume that it's the "big expat bucks" that bring us and keep us here. 

We get paid expat wages for lots of reasons, (homesickness for my home culture and putting up with men on the streets are usually uppermost in my list) but putting up with the arbitrary and capricious behaviour of a state entity that wants to be accepted into the community of nation states and global economy where such behaviour is not generally tolerated and favorably received is not one of them.

Libya wants to be involved in the world stage, but it has to decide if it wants to be the class clown or class disruptor, or the one who has the gravitas to make solid, deserved criticisms of the status quo and actions of other states. The world does need other voices and Libya could be part of that role, but I've yet to see it. This is not the way to make a point and be listened to with respect further down the road.

Finally, fyi, my husband is a US green card holder and therefore has to pay taxes anyway. As a citizen, he'll not have to keep traveling back to US to renew his green card status.  That's it.  Pure and simple.  (well, also, if a clown like Bush ever runs for office, my husband will be able to vote against him rather than rant and rave).

I doesn't really matter why you chose to be an expat.  The fact of the matter is that companies pay expats more to help offset the diffuculties of living in foreign places.

I agree, some expats aren't in it for the money.  But the reason for the mony is very clear.

The companies I've worked for pay higher expat benefits for more inconvenient places to live.  Most companies pay more in Lagos than say Kuala Lumpur.   

No need to get worked up.

BTW - I am very familiar with the US tax system.  You could also forfeit the green card, but I understand the reasons to keep it.

I just received all passports with the usual 3 month exit/reentry visa duly stamped.

It took all of 4 days to get the process done.

Nothing is ever going to change in Libya until there is a viable alternative to the lunatic who's been at the top for 40 years!

Awesome news Siddiqi, thanks for updating us all as promised. 

So Canucks we have established we can get out - now let's see if we can get back in!!

gabacho,
Sorry didn't mean to be so strident sounding. 

yeah forfeiting the green card is an option, but one we rejected.

Husband did not get out today.  He submitted his passport about 9 days ago.

Make sure and have him talk to the consulate Justice - an exit visa should not take more than 3 days.

justice4pal wrote:

gabacho,
Sorry didn't mean to be so strident sounding. 

yeah forfeiting the green card is an option, but one we rejected.

Husband did not get out today.  He submitted his passport about 9 days ago.

No problem.  I recognize I can be too direct sometimes and some sarcasm can be lost.  Also, as a Canadian, it's my duty to give you a hard time. ;)

I'm sorry that I don't quite understand what this is about...

I came in a few weeks ago on a "visit visa" but sponsored by my employer. This is valid for 3 months which I assume they will turn into my permenant residency... Is this correct? How long should this process take, and is this what is being held up (possibly) by whatever political gripes?

What is this about an exit-stamp... ? :huh:

SafiaD wrote:

I'm sorry that I don't quite understand what this is about...

Unless you hold a Canadian passport, you should not be affected by this tiff.

I came in a few weeks ago on a "visit visa" but sponsored by my employer. This is valid for 3 months which I assume they will turn into my permenant residency... Is this correct? How long should this process take

Around 4-5 weeks for a straightforward application

What is this about an exit-stamp... ? :huh:

If you're a resident, you'll need an exit visa each time you want to leave the country. It's only valid for a single exit within 3 months.

Looks like Harper is sending the Foreign Affairs minister to Libya.  I hope it's not to deliver the same message he planned to deliver in Saint John's, NFLD.
:unsurehttp://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi … AZ465ShEyg

Oh fook - this is bound to be messy...

Time to start drinking up the hooch reserves and bracing for deportation, lol.

Closed