Aussie Teaching English

Hi All

I am an Aussie currently in Manila but moving to Ho Chi Minh in 3 weeks. I would really appreciate any info from fellow Aussies teaching or working in Ho Chi Minh mainly about the VISA.

I heard the best way to do it is to get a Tourist Visa first then scout the place for work and let the new employer sort out a working visa.

When you go for a Tourist Visa how long do you get AND do you need to provide proof of a retun air ticket?

Any other info you may care to add like average wages for a Teacher, job opportunities, ave cost of rent and so on would be greatly appreciated!

You can get a 3 month tourist visa no problem. One way flight ticket is also not a problem.

Assuming you have a degree and relevant teaching cert, then you should be able t find work with an employer who will help sort your working permit and visa out. If not chances are you will find work, but need to look at other options for a visa, plent of people work here as teachers without work permits. Generally it's not an issue.

Wages vary a lot depending on who you're working for etc, but vary from 11\12usd per hour to around 25usd per hour. Places like RMIT\British council pay well but are tough gigs to land.
hopefuly some of the teachers on here can give a more accurate reflection.
Cost of living is reasonably cheap and depends on lifestyle etc :) Rent a room anything from 200+usd per month House\apartments 400+usd per month a lot depends on area etc as always.

Cheers! that's the type of info I am after. I dont have a degree but will have my TESOL which I was told is enough to get me some work and a working visa but I guess I will wait and see!

Hi Andy

If you looking for a top TESOL course in HCMC, send me an email and I'll get back to you with some information: [email protected]

Cheers

Peter (Melbourne)

Already doing one thanks Pete its work I will be after!

Hi again Andy

When you get here send me your CV and I'll see I've got anything at that time.

Peter
www.avse.edu.vn

Will do Peter!

Hi Andy,

If you have TESOL already, just apply for a job in English teaching center over here first. Then If you pass the interview, they will help to arrange for your immigration procedure.
Some good centers here, apart RMIT, British Councial,  also have ACET, ILA, APOLLO,... (acet.edu.vn/en/index.html, ilavietnam.com/web/index.php?lang=en, apollo.edu.vn/)
The best is you have a job or at least some interview appointments before landing here.

Best, Winnie.

Thanks again Winnie. Yes I already have made some contacts and I cant wait to get there!

FYI RMIT, BC, iLA etc all require a degree as well as a teaching cert.

Hi Laidback

Your absolutely right about the quals that ILA, the BC and other reputable schools require. Moreover, reputable schools clearly know there are bits of scrap paper with TESOL written on them and there are others that actually stack up to 'international standards', largely set by the British Council.

These days, if your TESOL Certificate doesn't clearly show a minimum of 100 hours in-class (face-to-face) instruction, 6 hours of critically assessed teaching practice (with real students) & external moderation, you've dished out a large sum of money for no material benefit.

Cheers

Peter Goudge