Help and advice please :)

Hello,

I'm researching into living and working in Saudi Arabia as may try and move here next September and am in need of some good advice :)

I'm British, female, mid-twenties and would be looking to move here and teach English. I have a BA, a trinity cert TESOL and 3years teaching experience in Czech Republic, plus experience working in secondary schools, higher education and teaching swimming to juniors.

I'm looking to study when I return to England and am hoping to save some money for the fees whilst in Saudi Arabia and whilst discovering a new culture. I'm just wondering if this is a realistic expectation? Also any help and advice on any of the following points would really help:

- good schools/ employers to work for? (or ones to avoid!)
- what to expect accommodation-wise?
-are there many jobs for female teachers?
- good places to live and work?
- is it possible to integrate into the community as a single female?
- how does the exit visa work?
- to what extent/ how can a female travel from place to place?
- any other points you think I should be considering! :)

I know the differences will be huge, but I think I am quite adaptable, respectful and considered so hopefully this would be enough? It's difficult to get to what life is really like on the Internet so thought I'd ask...balanced replies would be really helpful.

Thank you!
Kate

Kate713 wrote:

Hello,

I'm researching into living and working in Saudi Arabia as may try and move here next September and am in need of some good advice :)

I'm British, female, mid-twenties and would be looking to move here and teach English. I have a BA, a trinity cert TESOL and 3years teaching experience in Czech Republic, plus experience working in secondary schools, higher education and teaching swimming to juniors.

I'm looking to study when I return to England and am hoping to save some money for the fees whilst in Saudi Arabia and whilst discovering a new culture. I'm just wondering if this is a realistic expectation? Also any help and advice on any of the following points would really help:

- good schools/ employers to work for? (or ones to avoid!)
- what to expect accommodation-wise?
-are there many jobs for female teachers?
- good places to live and work?
- is it possible to integrate into the community as a single female?
- how does the exit visa work?
- to what extent/ how can a female travel from place to place?
- any other points you think I should be considering! :)

I know the differences will be huge, but I think I am quite adaptable, respectful and considered so hopefully this would be enough? It's difficult to get to what life is really like on the Internet so thought I'd ask...balanced replies would be really helpful.

Thank you!
Kate

Hi.Since its too late here now, i ll just give a quick reply.

Best place for employment for u maybe would be american schools ( as ur in that field already)

You can travel anywhere..

Accommodation depends upon where u work..Normally you have isolated compounds for females..

As many people know the problem most ppl face here is the social life.Now saudis do have a social life but its in the boundaries of their culture.So mostly western people take time to adjust here..

The best place to live in KSA is Al khobar which is on the border of bahrain. Most of the people from the west prefer al khobar coz they can go to Bahrain anytime they want so that they can drink, party etc..

I am not sure what you mean by exit visa.Coz we have exit re entry visa, final exit visa and a visa for entering into the kingdom..

Most welcome Kate in Saudi Arabia
1- of course there are goods schools especially international schools, I do not know which ones you should to avoid.
2- you have to live in western compound since inside the compound you can live like western life, there is no limitations or restrictions. but of course outside the compound the life is completely different: dress, transportation, communications with others, etc.
3- I think yes there are many jobs for female with your qualification in international schools and English teaching centers and you could earn good salary.
4- western compounds.
5- to be Frankly with you, i think it is difficult to integrate with the Saudi community, you have to know what to do and what to do not.
6- you have to have exit visa to leave Saudi, in the respected employer it is normal procedure.
7- it is not easy to travel from place to place, it is not forbidden but it is not easy. you should to be in group.
8- again you have to know what you could do and what you could not do in Saudi, you have to respect the Saudi traditions.
9- another issue you have to select your employer carefully, because it is not easy to change it.

Most welcome for any qustions

Hey Kate,

My mums been teaching here for about 13 years, your best bet is to teach at an English training school for adults. You can make in the vicinity of 3000 and 6000 SAR per month. If I were you I may also want check out the International School Groups such as ISG Dammam or ISG Dhahran. Also it is advisable to obtain a multiple entry visa so you can travel to Bahrain on the weekends; life within the Kingdom can get a little dull.

As for your accommodations, it doesn't really matter where you stay as long as you have a driver who can take you where you need to go. Compounds are your best bet however. 

Life in Saudi Arabia is very routine, eventually you'll get the hang of it, but I can assure you when it comes to making money, your job is very stable and there is no better place to save up for the future.

I wouldn't try to hard to make friends with the locals, it's not as easy as it would be in other countries. Making friends with other expats is actually a lot easier than anywhere else.

I hope this helps, if you have more questions, just ask!

OH!Canada wrote:

your job is very stable

Unfortunately, this isn't true.  With continuing Saudization efforts, nobody's job is secure. New policies are continually being put into place--a new policy where I work is that any expat who has had the same job for 10+ years has to be replaced.

Alliecat wrote:
OH!Canada wrote:

your job is very stable

Unfortunately, this isn't true.  With continuing Saudization efforts, nobody's job is secure. New policies are continually being put into place--a new policy where I work is that any expat who has had the same job for 10+ years has to be replaced.

That may be true in the industrial sector but when it comes to the education sector, expats with a foreign Degree and a teaching background are still given top priority. Especially at Saudi communication training centers such as Direct English.

OH!Canada wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
OH!Canada wrote:

your job is very stable

That may be true in the industrial sector but when it comes to the education sector, expats with a foreign Degree and a teaching background are still given top priority. Especially at Saudi communication training centers such as Direct English.

If you have a higher level position that is sponsored by any of the ministries, your job is subject to Saudization.

BTW, the salary range you gave, 3000-6000 is extremely low, what is offered to a local hire so such jobs might be secure.  Kate is talking about coming in from abroad and so her salary would be more than double the 6,000SAR and include housing, paid utilities, etc., and as a native speaker, she'd probably be okay teaching in the PYP (as long as she doesn't rub her director wrong in any way).

But, in general, I stand by my statement that jobs are not secure here for Westerners (I guess we cost too much :lol:). You have to be ready at all times to hear that your contract has not been renewed.

Alliecat wrote:
OH!Canada wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

If you have a higher level position that is sponsored by any of the ministries, your job is subject to Saudization.

BTW, the salary range you gave, 3000-6000 is extremely low, what is offered to a local hire so such jobs might be secure.  Kate is talking about coming in from abroad and so her salary would be more than double the 6,000SAR and include housing, paid utilities, etc., and as a native speaker, she'd probably be okay teaching in the PYP (as long as she doesn't rub her director wrong in any way).

But, in general, I stand by my statement that jobs are not secure here for Westerners (I guess we cost too much :lol:). You have to be ready at all times to hear that your contract has not been renewed.

couldn't agree more . You cost much and you worth it to be here , i believe you had such a great influence on a lake of us .

Thanks on behave of us .

Hitch wrote:

couldn't agree more . You cost much and you worth it to be here , i believe you had such a great influence on a lake of us .

Thanks on behave of us .

Is it a JIGSAW puzzle ??? :blink:

saimans wrote:
Hitch wrote:

Thanks on behave of us .

Is it a JIGSAW puzzle ??? :blink:

Oh come on.. I could read that (easier than 'text-speak'!).

@Hitch, thanks for the kind words (I think you're being far too generous lol).

I was really going to believe that something effected my English !!? ( sweet god no )!!? & &

Hitch wrote:

I was really going to believe that something effected my English !!? i sweet god no !!? & &

:lol:

Hitch wrote:

I was really going to believe that something effected my English !!? ( sweet god no )!!? & &

You are almost there, A little bit of more editing would suffice.... ;)

saimans wrote:
Hitch wrote:

You are almost there, A little bit of more editing would suffice.... ;)

Okay thnx i guess ...

Alliecat wrote:

@Hitch, thanks for the kind words (I think you're being far too generous lol).

LOL , oi i really mean it . you aren't just here for the sake of money to us . You do educate us the art of your own language . Also the culture of your own . Its really a life time experience for a lot of us .

Andvance warm welcome to you kate and happy blogging...:)

Hi Kate,

I believe you can find all of your answers on "Dave's ESL cafe ".
Not sure if i could paste the link on this site, so just google it and they have many helpful forums on their site.

Takecare,
Riz