What to bring when moving to Mauritius?

Hello,
soon moving to Mauritius, settling for 4 years with family.
I have been advised to bring small kitchen electrical appliances with me because they are apparently difficult to find and bad quality in Mauritius. Is this true? What about washing machine and drier, should we bring these too?
Any advice on any other things better to be brought from Europe would be welmcome.
Thanks to all.

Hi Jamboree,
            The guy who told you this story was joking..There are very good appliances here in Mauritius...Samsung,Bosch,Moulinex,LG...
Take care
Regards
Gaetan

Hi Gaetan, thanks for this. I thought so!
Any other advice on what would be useful and difficult to find in Mauritius with young children, (under 6)?

Thanks again.

I would say, for kids anything which you might need on the expensive side. You would get all the basic things here. The rest are pretty much imported, so you can get what I mean. Dont fly by Air Mauritius. They have a crappy luggage policy.

Cheers!!
Sam

Hello arnab,
what do you mean by crappy luggage policy? Does it get it lost and ruined or are they really itchy on the weighting?

Hello Gaetan,
any advice on best pmace to buy those appliances? Down town Port Louis or one of the big malls? Or Super U?
Have a nice sunday!

Hey Jamboree,

Well Air Mauritius has a single luggage policy except for weight. The weight is 23kg max per luggage(bag). This is main luggage again. For additional bags you have to pay for each and it costs more at the airport when you are flying from Europe. Check out Air France or Emirates instead. When you move I believe this is going to be a major cost for you.

When I came from London, my firm booked me in Air Mauritius and for one extra bag they charged me £85 at the airport. Now this is really high, but if you book it before it is half the price. Again, they do weigh it but they count.

For Appliances, once you are here go to Bagattelle, Jumbo(Phoenix), Goodlands, etc. There are some others as well depending on which is closer to where you are going to stay. Again of the record what kind of accommodation are you going into? You will ideally find furnished apartments with pretty much everything you need. Depending on the area/structure you should get nice apartments/house for 15-35k MUR/month rent with 3-4 bedrooms. Also many of these are built with American styled kitchens/hall. You should be able to find this in the classifieds.

Cheers!
Sam

We got all our stuff in Mauritius(we have a cottage in Calodyne). Also I think they tax you for certain things if they are new.

Hi,
You can get everything you need in Mauritius :)

We rented fully furnished and it came with everything we needed, but I bought my own crockery from Super U - plain white and any electrical extra's that we needed we bought from Cash and Carry in Bagatelle.

We flew from London with Air Mauritius, but we flew Business class and the amount of luggage you can bring is lots!

My husbands Company paid Economy and we added up the cost of excess luggage, and decided there was not much difference then to upgrade and you can bring much more hand luggage too - so thats an option for you and you travel in comfort too - a night flight is good, as you have a bed and do tend to sleep.

We did ship our own bedding and towels over but we have no found out there is much better quality and cheaper bedding to be bought here from the Factory outlets that supply all the 5 star hotels here e.g Super Super king sheet, 700 yarn Egyptian Cotton for 250 rupees - about £6.00!!

The only things I am not to get is Sage and onion stuffing and PG Tips tea bags, so every visitor we have always brings some for us.
Good luck :)

Hi Rosiewestie. I'm Gurj, also from England.

I noticed on one post you mentioned that you can get cheap bed linen ( as supplied to hotels) from factory shops - are these any sort of factry shops or anywhere specific? I am in grand bay.

I'd really appreciate your advice - I notice you seem to be well informed!!!

Thank you in advance

gurj wrote:

Hi Rosiewestie. I'm Gurj, also from England.

I noticed on one post you mentioned that you can get cheap bed linen ( as supplied to hotels) from factory shops - are these any sort of factry shops or anywhere specific? I am in grand bay.

I'd really appreciate your advice - I notice you seem to be well informed!!!

Thank you in advance

Hi,
Associated  textiles factory - I have messaged you with the full contact details.

Best wishes

I agree with everyone else - if you're in decent rental accomodation, everything will be provided.

We moved here (permanently) and once we started looking around, realised we should have paid the freight to bring all of our stuff, instead of selling the bulk of it at garage sale prices back in Perth, as they were of better quality, and they're so much more expensive to buy here. Bed, washing machine, lounge suite etc.

We did bring all of our kitchenware, ornaments and things that we loved.

A lot of the furniture we did buy here was very expensive for what we got(don't know whether it's government import duty, or importer mark-up greed). The "cheaper" things we bought (which weren't actually cheap)began to deteriorate after a couple of years and we've had to replace them.

Top quality things are available, but ridiculously priced.

That's just my opinion.

When we go back to Australia, we come back with bed linen. Egyptian cotton is cheaper there, and comes in lovely colours. Towels, at Associated Textiles, are good quality and cheap though. But I've never found those sheets you mentioned Rosiewestie - I've only seen them for Rs1500+ on sale! Let me know how to find them!

VeroniqueL wrote:

I agree with everyone else - if you're in decent rental accomodation, everything will be provided.

We moved here (permanently) and once we started looking around, realised we should have paid the freight to bring all of our stuff, instead of selling the bulk of it at garage sale prices back in Perth, as they were of better quality, and they're so much more expensive to buy here. Bed, washing machine, lounge suite etc.

We did bring all of our kitchenware, ornaments and things that we loved.

A lot of the furniture we did buy here was very expensive for what we got(don't know whether it's government import duty, or importer mark-up greed). The "cheaper" things we bought (which weren't actually cheap)began to deteriorate after a couple of years and we've had to replace them.

Top quality things are available, but ridiculously priced.

That's just my opinion.

When we go back to Australia, we come back with bed linen. Egyptian cotton is cheaper there, and comes in lovely colours. Towels, at Associated Textiles, are good quality and cheap though. But I've never found those sheets you mentioned Rosiewestie - I've only seen them for Rs1500+ on sale! Let me know how to find them!

You have to go to the factory sales usually held every 3 months - I go to Associated Textiles in Moka - they have have recently moved - check out their website - and ring them to ask when the next seconds sale is - think it is in May?

They also sell at the sales, sheets by the kilo - so very cheap 0 these sales get absolutely packed, so best to go childfree and with plenty of time to rummage :)
Good luck