Need some help about living in bahamas

Hi everyone! I hope you could help me. I have a job offer to work in Bahamas as a nurse in Sandilands Hospital, Nassau but I'm quite clueless with the cost of living in there. I heard it's pretty expensive. Could you please enlighten me with the living expenses in Bahamas and how much would be the monthly budget that I should set aside like rent, food, electricity, etc. thanks for the help.

Hello glygly.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Bahamas forum.

I hope you will soon be informed about Cost of living in the Bahamas.

Aurélie

Congrats!

You have a job offer at a very popular rehabilitation hospital. Please beware that I had a friend doctor who worked there and the discrimination is at top level, not only that you may be dealing with possible drug abusers and possible convicts. If you are up to then please do continue on your journey here.

In order to assist you, I will share with you the following . Rent usually can range from 600 per month up to 4,000 depending on the area and on the conditions.

Food can be anywhere from 50-100 per week minimum if you are not a bird and are not on a strict diet. If not then consider 150.00 for food, transportation is a must. The island is 21x7 miles and you may get around to any place within 30 minutes to up to 3 hours most.

The people here are friendly , please beware that anywhere you go there is 50/50 chance for people to be both nice and not so nice.
The weather is nice ranging from 67F- 91 F in the most hot days. Rainy between june-November which is also a hurricane season.

If you are to get an efficiency totally one person may run into a budget of 750. per month.
If you are to live more comfortably about 1,200 per month

Sandilands is in the eastern part of the country close to "Her Majesty's Prison. adjacent. On Fox Hill Rd.
The best living area is West or Paradise Island. Which would be high end.

In the eastern you may find a place reasonable for 800.00 in a good area.

I recommend to try Prince Charles Drive and not to close to the SOuth Beach roads which are closer to low beach area. For hurricane reasons

Or anywhere on Seabreeze , not too far south. But still close to work.

If you need vehicle , which you may from time to time. There is bus service from 6am- 6pm
and taxis 24h. ranging from $10-$40 per rate.
Sandilands is far out east . The Centre of the island is about 25 minutes , which you can locate a marathon Mall with over 100 shops.

Banking is also available from mon -fri and saturdays on one bank

If I can provide you more assistance please email me or post here.
[email protected]

Good luck. All the best.