Taxi licence in Gibraltar

Hello everybody!

I am thinking to relocate to Gibraltar and I need some information about how can I get a  Taxi Licence in Gibraltar. Unfortunately the official website www.gibraltar.gov is not very helpful.
Does anyone knows how can I be licensed for this kind of business in Gibraltar.
Tx very much!

Mircea

You have the choice of working for someone else, or renting a licence from someone, not the Government.
I understand that all Government issued licences were taken up many years ago and to buy one today you would have to purchase from the private market at tens or even hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Thank you for the quick reply "Old Man" :).
I guess it is far different from UK :(
I think I will come and take a look around sometimes soon!
Tx again!
Have a nice weekend!

Hi migavart
I had a beer and a chat with a Taxi driver a couple of nights ago.
He rents his license at £250 per week and has to supply his own car, fuel etc. Plus if he is sick or on holiday he still has to pay.
He also said that licenses now change hands at £250,000 although personally I think that is rather optimistic.

Hello
Thank you for the informations provided!
It is pretty much like in UK! It is like self employed taxi driver!
On the other hand, I guess that is a damn good business if the licence itself is £250 k. :)
Thank you again for the info and maybe I will contact you when I will come there!
Have a nice day!

Hi,
I had a taxi licence in gibraltar, I sold it. Nowadays if you want to buy a licence it cost over £200.000. If you are not a local then you will have difficulties in getting one.
Good luck

I know this is quite an old post now,

But just wanted to point out unless your local or have lived there for a while you'll really struggle with street names/buildings etc as there is no street maps that cover all the minor roads of which there are many.

Good luck tho with what ever you did in the end.