Moving to Malta school anything we need to know.

Hi we are thinking of moving to Malta at some point this year. We are making a weeks visit in July to have a look around and look at apartments and Schools.

Now my bigest issue is School as my daughter is 7yrs old and being taught in English we have considered state school around the st pauls bay area (this is not set in stone) we have looked at st pauls primary and are getting conflicting information.
Some are saying that they teach in maltese only but we know of two familys that have only english speaking children attending and thriveving.
my worry is that My girl goes to that school and is in lesson and dosent understand a word...would the teacher translate or would it be a sink or swin situation??

We have been looking at St catherines and they have sent us info on fees etc but are not sure where abouts this school is or if its any good so any opinions would be good.

Or any other schools that you can recommend and if you could give us fees school info as well that would be great.

So off the subject of schools both me and my husband are lucky we have jobs we can bring with us i just need an internet connection.

So any daily living info would be good electric shopping/supermarkets activties for the family etc.

And a huge thanks in advance hoping to maybe make some friends and play mates for the children.
Wendy.

Also if anyone can advise where to start looking for shipping our stuff across as i am getting no where fast on this issues.
just tvs and a cot etc not lodes but basics. thanks.

I can only give you my personal experience of trying to find a school for my 4 and 5 year olds last year.. After visiting alot, both state and private we decided with Newark Junior School in Gzira. All classes are taught in English and Maltese is an extra class and you can choose not to take this. Kids who don't do Maltese are given extra maths or reading to do. We have no problems with this school as its very very small (7 in my daughters junior 1 year) so its almost one on one education. Fee are on par with other, Junior 2 is €595 a term.. If  you want any further information or any details please just let me know. BTW my kids have just finished their first year and they loved every day... Best of luck with the move.

ash73 wrote:

I can only give you my personal experience of trying to find a school for my 4 and 5 year olds last year.. After visiting alot, both state and private we decided with Newark Junior School in Gzira. All classes are taught in English and Maltese is an extra class and you can choose not to take this. Kids who don't do Maltese are given extra maths or reading to do. We have no problems with this school as its very very small (7 in my daughters junior 1 year) so its almost one on one education. Fee are on par with other, Junior 2 is €595 a term.. If  you want any further information or any details please just let me know. BTW my kids have just finished their first year and they loved every day... Best of luck with the move.

Hi would there be a website for the school plz? as we are trying to work out the fees for the year inc buses and uniform and anything else we need to pay so we are not stung with a big bill out of the blue. Thanks for all the help.

Hello wendy33.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

You can take a look to our shipping partner. It can help.

All the best,
Aurélie

AurélieZ wrote:

Hello wendy33.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

You can take a look to our shipping partner. It can help.

All the best,
Aurélie

Thanks i will take a look.x