American Foundation School in DF - Good location to look for an apt?

Hi, I will be moving to DF with AFS and need a little advice on where to begin looking for an apt. I "should" have about 750 US to work with in stipend toward rent... I REALLY don't want to commute more than 40-50 minutes - less would be better. The place can be small but it MUST be clean, safe and in a location with plenty of transportation, restaurants, supermarkets.People say the school is centrally located... Really? I have looked at a map and it doesn't seem that central to me. I have  been to DF several times and "central" to me is  Condessa, Roma, US/Japanese Embassy area. Centro Historico is "central" but do people live there? From the map, it looks like Roma would be fairly close. It also looks like it is near the Observatorio bus station but terrain in Mexico being what it is, it could be close but you would have to climb a mountain to get to the school from the station.  So, just looking for good ideas of where to look for a convenient location for an expat to live in comfortably and commute reasonably.  Thanks for your help.

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Patzgirl!

I hope other members will advise you on this move soon.

Good luck
Armand

I would not live in the Centro if I were you for safety reasons. It is better to live in a nicer surrounding area, such as Roma.

Also, do you mean Observatorio metro? Do not live near there either. The metro observatorio is not a nice area.

I would live in either Roma or Condesa. However, those are high tourist spots so you also have to be careful there as well.

I live way far south far away from any of the 'well-known' areas such as Condesa, but I hear it is safer to be away from high-traffic touristy areas.