Non Teaching jobs in Seoul / Korea

Hello everyone. I've had a mixed history in South Korea, but whatever has happened in the past, the country holds a special place in my heart...

I've worked as a teacher and come to the conclusion that it's just not the career for me. That being said, it's the main pathway into Korea. So...I want to start doing my research in other career pathways in Korea and start building to the next steps in my life. I suppose the best way for me to start is by saying my plans and hopefully I can get an idea of the potential outcomes and my overall chances.

I want to...

- Learn Korean to a good standard, something that in all fairness, I should have done already.
- Get myself a Masters in International Relations.

I was wondering whether achieving those two things would increase my chances of getting another type of job in Korea. I'm thinking some form of communications role / diplomatic role.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Well, best of luck with your new plans.
I guess amongst your two goals, learning Korean language is of utmost important and will open many venues for you. Actually, it won't matter if you have a Masters degree or not but if you are a English language native speaker and then you are proficient in Korean you can be hired in many places other than teaching or academics.
So go for Korean language acquisition and do NOT forget to take "TOPIK" tests frequently after every level or two that you finish.
On your Masters in IR with a focus on Korea or Northeast Asia: you may land a communication/diplomatic job but age is an important factor to join Foreign Service (F.S) in many countries hence check out the requirement of F.S in your country of origin.

Hi,

I suggest you to approach some recruitment agencies in South Korea.

There may be a few opportunities in South Korea apart from Teaching jobs if you approach Recruitment companies.

Please note that it would be essential that you speak Korean relatively fluently in order to get a job over here.

I am an Australian with Korean background and that factor just made me quite comptetitive candidate in this country.

Good luck then :)

stewy88 wrote:

Hello everyone. I've had a mixed history in South Korea, but whatever has happened in the past, the country holds a special place in my heart...

I've worked as a teacher and come to the conclusion that it's just not the career for me. That being said, it's the main pathway into Korea. So...I want to start doing my research in other career pathways in Korea and start building to the next steps in my life. I suppose the best way for me to start is by saying my plans and hopefully I can get an idea of the potential outcomes and my overall chances.

I want to...

- Learn Korean to a good standard, something that in all fairness, I should have done already.
- Get myself a Masters in International Relations.

I was wondering whether achieving those two things would increase my chances of getting another type of job in Korea. I'm thinking some form of communications role / diplomatic role.

Thanks in advance for the advice!