Working as a English teacher in Latvia

Hi there,are there any members on this forum who are teaching/or who have taught English in Latvia.I'm hoping to move to Latvia in October and would love some info on teaching English there.

Hi Paddy,

Realistic rate for a native english speaker offering 1:1 lessons in Riga would be 10-15LATS per hour.

Scott

Thanx Scott-any idea what the language schools pay,and is there any job availability?

Hi Paddy,

Don't know about availability or language school rates, sorry.

Scott

scott_latvia wrote:

Hi Paddy,

Don't know about availability or language school rates, sorry.

Scott

Thanx anyway Scott,if you hear anything,let me know.......

Hi Paddy,

If you are a qualified teacher, then you could try private training centres (google them and ask for a list here) as well as 1:1 sessions offered on ss.lv

Hello!! I'm a new member. I'm from Greece and like Paddymanu, I'm also interested in teaching English in Latvia.Is the Latvian language a prerequisite? Are there any schools for foreigners who wish to learn Latvian?

Hi,

I've just arrived here in Latvia as an English teacher. Not sure if I can help you at all, but ask away, I've only been here 2 weeks so still settling in.

Kathryn

I met a guy here who teaches at an english school, but doesn't speak the local language.

btw, i don't speak Latvian, it is not necessary to speak the local language in order to teach English, but they may want you to have your CELTA qualification, it's certainly mandatory in my school, but obv not needed for 1:1s.

thryn76 wrote:

btw, i don't speak Latvian, it is not necessary to speak the local language in order to teach English, but they may want you to have your CELTA qualification, it's certainly mandatory in my school, but obv not needed for 1:1s.

How are you going to explain things to a non-English speaker? :)

It COULD work for those, who already know English to some extent, but really.. they would rather choose a certified school. It's just how it is.

I teach absolute beginners who can't even write the alphabet and i promise it really isn't a problem. when you were a toddler learning your first words you had no 'native language' to help you, and you still managed! We use pictures, mime, intonation, realia, it's really very easy and your students will be communicating with you in no time, that's a promise! imagine you are in a bar and want to chat up someone of the opposite sex but they don't speak your language, i promise you can make it happen :-)

lacefactor wrote:

How are you going to explain things to a non-English speaker? :)

Hello lacefactor, you may find it extremely difficult to believe, but many English language schools throughout the world do not allow their teachers to speak anything but English once they're in the classroom with their students.

Best Wishes, oslooskar

oslooskar wrote:

Hello lacefactor, you may find it extremely difficult to believe, but many English language schools throughout the world do not allow their teachers to speak anything but English once they're in the classroom with their students.

Hi

I am aware of that and it's exactly what I'm saying :) Latvian/Russian people who try to learn English would rather choose a certified school - whether they translate to native language or not. We do have a couple of school in Riga, where teachers don't speak Russian/Latvian - they come from abroad.

Mentality (and reality, in fact) is that you have to get a diploma or a cetrificate after each course, so a private teacher is not a popular option, if he/she can't translate. Those who choose private teachers usually need to learn English very quickly in order to work abroad. And these are not high paying jobs.