Work Permit

Hi
I would be moving to Jakarta shortly from India. I have got a job and have already got the signed offer letter from the company. They are asking me to take VISA on arrival and and then they will apply for the work permit once I land in Jakarta. Is it how it works? Will I have face any problem at the immigration? What documents would I need to carry for the safe passage to Jakarta?

Please help. Thanks a lot
MP

MPSK wrote:

Hi
I would be moving to Jakarta shortly from India. I have got a job and have already got the signed offer letter from the company. They are asking me to take VISA on arrival and and then they will apply for the work permit once I land in Jakarta. Is it how it works? Will I have face any problem at the immigration? What documents would I need to carry for the safe passage to Jakarta?

Please help. Thanks a lot
MP

Hi MPSK,

As far as I know, you need to bring at least a sponsor letter from the employer. Try to contact them. Be assure that this employer has the experience hiring expatriate.

just a consideration, you should have discussed this matter before signing the contract :)

Hi MPSK, congratulation that you have got the signed offer letter from that company...

As far as I know visa on arrival is only for tourist, business, social, government. Not for working.

Make sure that you get the sponsor letter from that company which the company will become your sponsor.

The processes of obtaining proper documentation to live and work in Indonesia can seem like an endless maze of bureaucracy. New laws and regulations, lack of posted regulations, irregular application of existing regulations, vested interests and other  matters complicate what one would think would be a relatively smooth processing of paperwork for foreigners to live and work in Indonesia.

Make sure that the company is PT and not CV. My friend said that small Indonesian companies incorporated as a CV are not allowed to hire expats.

Hope this info will be helpful for you a little bit.

Keep fighting! Never give up....

Cheers...

Hi Jnero,
I went to indonesia with touristic visa. you just need your valid passeport and 25 dollars to get it in Jakarta Airport, at your arrival.25 dollars is for 30 days visa.
50 dollars for 60 days visa. You can renew your touristic visa once.

To get your work permit (Kitas) :
Once in indonesia, ask your employer to send:
a work contract with your salary
a letter dealing with your mission
a copy of your passeport
a 1200 dollars payment.
your employers has to send all those documents to Indonesian consulate.
It takes 2 months (max.) to get the answer from consulate, don't worry, they always says Yes.

Just be carefull that your touristic visa covers the all period (2 months).
It's not legal to be in indonesia without touristic visa and tax from government are very expensive.

Working with indonesian team is great.
I wish you the best in your new work.

Cheers.
Jeremie

Hi all, I am wondering if the KITAP holders (The Indonesian permanent resident certificate) have the right to work in Indonesia. Kindly back to me at: zagross_mo(at)yahoo.com, thanks
Mario

Hi dear,
What if I am permanent resident & holding KITAP based on my marriage in Indonesia. In this case how can I accept a job offer from prospecting employers? What is/are the policies & procedures? The reason I am asking this is because most of the employer saying "because you are bule-foreigner we can't hire you or the law doesn't say anything in this regard!". So kindly advise what is the remedy to resolve this matter, enable to get a job & be able to surviving in this country.

Please get back to me at: [email protected], and much appreciated indeed, thanks.
Sincerely,
Mario Mo
[email protected]
[email protected]

^
Interesting question.
UU6/2011 states a foreigner who holds a KITAP can work freely to support their family.
The work department disagree and want a fee of $1,200.

I'm unsure if their version has been tested in court.

A couple of points.

First to the original post (even though it is very old...it is still relevant). 

Employers of foreign workers have the option of either applying for the visa and work permit for a foreign employee prior to their arrival (VITAS) or after their arrival on either a VOA or a visit visa.  I know some employers prefer to wait until the accepted employee has arrived in order to avoid unnecessary expense and paper work because the accepted applicant doesn't show up.  So yes, what you have been told is normal enough.   

On the second point regarding KITAP holders (permanent foreign residents), it is my understanding that a work permit is still required in order to be employed, but due to the almost citizenship status of the KITAP visa, a work permit will be pretty much automatically issued…thus the interpretation of the “right” to work freely to support their family.

Hi & thanks for the perfect answer & much appreciated concerning KITAP as well.
Regards,
Mo

Hi, I am a KITAP holder and have been for the past 2 years. My current employer provided my IMTA (work permit). This project is finishing and I have been approached to work for another company but they are asking if I have my own work permit. Can a holder of a KITAP (permenant residency) obtain their own work permit and pay the $1,200 training levy to the Manpower Department?

Hi, I am a KITAP holder and have been for the past 2 years. My current employer provided my IMTA (work permit). This project is finishing and I have been approached to work for another company but they are asking if I have my own work permit. Can a holder of a KITAP (permenant residency) obtain their own work permit and pay the $1,200 training levy to the Manpower Department?

I tried that a few years ago, being given a solid 'No' by manpower.
They insisted the employer must do it.
The KITAP is no problem as a valid immigration document.

Thanks Fred. It seems we are bules until death. The KITAP is the next closest thing to citizenship. I would have thought we were no longer considered foreign workers.

ChristianAC wrote:

Thanks Fred. It seems we are bules until death. The KITAP is the next closest thing to citizenship. I would have thought we were no longer considered foreign workers.

Immigration wanted uu 6/11 to mean what it said; manpower disagreed.

Hi MP,
There are several type of Visa, it depends on how long you will work in Indonesia. First thing first, to process working permit in Indonesia make sure that your company has RPTKA.

It should also be noted ...

Non contract part time informal work or working informally from home is allowed for KITAP holders.