Cheap places to stay? Finding a room fast?

Help!

I am from the US. I didn't book my ticket to Paris until I had arranged a room -- "guaranteed" the man said. Then after I get here, withdraw the cash he wants, he changes his mind!

I've been staying in hostels and hotels for about 10 days but this is more than I can afford and I am having a lot of difficulty finding another place in my range! I can spend about 550€ maximum per month on lodging, if I want to be able to eat as well. (Unless I magically find a job in Paris sans work permits, which was not exactly part of the plan... I am a writer and was looking to live off my existing royalties and US based work only.)

I might not even mind staying in hostels and hotels the whole time; but out here, at least amongst the ones I'm finding, they aren't very cheap and are often not available for long stretches (as I had planned to stay for a couple months I packed a rather large suitcase, moving it across town every three days for a new room is becoming problematic.) The only thing I absolutely need anywhere I stay is Wifi, since that's how I'm able to keep working; I can make do with an unfurnished place, or no kitchen, or even no indoor water if that's how we have to play it.

Can anyone come up with suggestions? Maybe by good luck know of someone with a cheap place to rent? I have some extra fun in that I found, when I arrived, that my French was much worse than I'd thought and I'm basically unable to communicate in the native language.

Wish u luck :sosad:

Hi Sobekneferu!

Have you tried having a look at the Paris housing section?
You could eventually post an advert there as well.

Best of luck
Armand

Have you tried Craig's List?  Yep, it's in Paris, too! 

I once got a great holiday rental in Paris through Craigs BUT here's the thing:  there's a lot of scammers so be careful (but since you're already there to check it out in advance rather than online, you should be okay .. but if you give $$, be sure you're giving it to the real landlord!  I've heard of people 'renting' out apts. around the world that weren't even theirs!).

Best of luck!

Hey, I'm going to PM you some info. of a contact I have in Paris.  Hope I still have it.

Yeah, I have actually been using Craigslist, and yes -- lots of scams. About 90% of them you can identify right away when they write back to you (usually something along the lines of "hello i am Good christian Journalist from england, my name is Bradley Smith. i make renting my House while i go to england to help my Sick Mother, &c.") and also you can usually identify them if the house/apartment sounds too good to be true (cheap, great location, tons of amenities, usually includes photos of the place to prove that it's gorgeous. My observation is that the only time those are legit is if someone's renting out their own flat for a limited, set amount of time time, like while they're traveling.) And yes -- I've also heard of folks "renting" places that weren't theirs too, I've had a few queries that sounded like they were going to wind up being that (instructions like "I am out of town but the janitor will let you in to see the place.")

In fact, my original housing offer I'd found in France was a Craigslist post! (That one failed more due to the guy being a total flake who kept changing his mind about things every time we talked, than any deliberate scamming I think.) It is a good one to look at if you don't speak French very well, but I find best results are to be had if you won't be needing a place right away.

Well, I think I have to give up on Paris. There's nothing legit that's as cheap as the place I'd originally found and I've spent all my money on hotels at this point :(

Sobekneferu wrote:

Well, I think I have to give up on Paris. There's nothing legit that's as cheap as the place I'd originally found and I've spent all my money on hotels at this point :(

Sorry to hear that :(  You may not have stayed as long as you would have wished to, but at least you did get to spend a bit of time in that wonderful 'city of lights.' 

I just love Paris.

Sorry for that neferu, i wish i could help =(
wish u all the best

Check ur inbox..

Sobekneferu wrote:

Yeah, I have actually been using Craigslist, and yes -- lots of scams. About 90% of them you can identify right away when they write back to you (usually something along the lines of "hello i am Good christian Journalist from england, my name is Bradley Smith. i make renting my House while i go to england to help my Sick Mother, &c.") and also you can usually identify them if the house/apartment sounds too good to be true (cheap, great location, tons of amenities, usually includes photos of the place to prove that it's gorgeous. My observation is that the only time those are legit is if someone's renting out their own flat for a limited, set amount of time time, like while they're traveling.) And yes -- I've also heard of folks "renting" places that weren't theirs too, I've had a few queries that sounded like they were going to wind up being that (instructions like "I am out of town but the janitor will let you in to see the place.")

YES!  lol  I remember all that!  These scammers haven't changed. I would vascilate between being amused and being angry (that they thought I could be so stupid!).

Any news?  Still leaving?  :(

Hi,

You had a little bad luck there but it's all part of the experience!
OK, try fusac.fr and look at their listings, that's a good and quick start to find a place from an owner. Very reputable. Also for cheap hotels try Hotel du Commerce in the 5th, but it is summer.

I've got another good idea for you. I don't know if this works for you but Sylvia at Shakespeare books rents out little rooms mostly in exchange for working at the shop a little. maybe now it costs some money but it could be fun. check out their website if you haven't been the shop. It's in the 5th across from the Notre Dame. Really. Talk to her and see if you could stay there. I know a bunch of people who did and that worked nicely for them. Also the Canadian bookshop owned by Brian (called Abbey Books) maybe he can help you ut.

Good Luck,
John