Online TEFL or CELTA/TESOL for landing an amman teaching job?

Assalamu! I'm a recent American graduate with a BS in intl. studies and political science, and I'd like to live in Jordan for a while. I need to make a living wage while I'm there, and my first bet is teaching English.

I need to decide whether or not to take a cheap 120 hour online course right now, or go for a much more expensive TESOL or CELTA or what-not. However; my main concern is not that I make a lot or work at the best school, but that I can find a job there. Assuming I'm diligent about it, could I easily get a job with a 120 hour online TEFL? Even if it's not at a great school/center? I read here that Amideast is reputable, but I didn't see any listings online for teachers....

Also, are the other jobs specially suited for an American expat that you would recommend, since $1000USD may be more than i'm willing to shell out for training?

I really appreciate your advice and recommendations, whatever they may be!

I'm proficient in Modern Standard Arabic.

Ahlan wa sahlan,

First of all..many Westerners came to Jordan or in particular Amman hoping to seek jobs in teaching English..I hope you are not being too idealistic..thinking that it might be easy since you're from the USA. I suppose you should email your resumes to language schools.. and see if there is any response..  Good luck !!

Hi, there are many places you can apply for jobs in
not only Amideast,
Modern language center, and you can just put in the news paper that you are a native english speaker, many will ask for private tutions

no, it's 1 hour by bus from Amman to irbed, u can go from Amman to irbed by bus for 2 jd only.
the bus is comfortable.

Hypertyper wrote:

Hi, there are many places you can apply for jobs in
not only Amideast,
Modern language center, and you can just put in the news paper that you are a native english speaker, many will ask for private tutions

I studied Arabic as foreign language at Modern language Centre... their English language instructors are locals. Have yet to see any Caucasian teachers there.