Forming a group for beginner Khmer lessons

Hi everybody,

Just arrived in Phnom Penh a month ago, it's time for me to think about learning some basic Khmer, which would also be an opportunity to meet new people. In this regard, I'd like to avoid (at least for the first few months) private 1:1 lessons, so 2 possibilities exist :

- Joining group lessons
Do you know some schools which propose group lessons?
I know that the French Institute does, but I'd rather like the group I join to be multicultural, instead of being French only.

- Finding some people who would like to join, and then looking for a teacher.
We can then meet in a school class if the course is provided by a school, or in an appartment (mine is big enough to suit small groups).
The time should suit working people's schedules (beginning of the lessons at 6:30 - 7:00 p.m. for instance).

If anybody is interested, please let me know.

Flo

Hi Flo,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

hi flo, there r  lessons at the  institute of foreign languages university of phnom penh , but it costs arnd 200 $ per semester or 800 per year

Hi Flo,

I also recently arrived in Phnom Penh and am interested in learning Khmer and meeting people. Did you decide to get a group together for Khmer classes?

Sarah

Hey Sarah,

No, I'm still looking for people willing to join. But there are probably other ways than this forum to find interested people. On your side, did you already try to find lessons ?

Flo

hey hey , contact bob perry he has  a space available , i saw it N its pretty cool for language classes

Hi Flo

I arrived in Cambodia last week and am interested in joining your language group!

Aya

Hi everyone,

So we are already 4 people : Sarah, Aya, Caroline and me (Florian). Cool !

We could meet up for a drink and plan everything. And start the lessons asap. Who would be up for a beer / dinner next week ? Which day ?

See you soon !

Flo

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the mention AAliyah.

Yes we have facilities available to run such classes and to promote it.

Is there somebody here who can teach French or is this something you all would like me to look for.

The suggested times are not unreasonable and I am sure something could be worked out to reduce the fees...

Bob

I am Interested to join the group to learn Khmer classes. Please mention the time and date start the classes. If you find difficulty to meet up one place, I have virtual learning tool which can be used for Online learning  classes, but this is just option.

Hi guys,

I might be interested in joining the group too - can you let me know when and where you're meeting for a drink or what the details are?

Cheers,

Zoe

Hi guys, i also want to join the class. Next Wednesday is good. Maybe happy hour somewhere around riverside?

OK cool! So let's meet next Wednesday for dinner, with everyone interested.

Hi everyone

Dinner on the next Wednesday wounds great!!
Count me in!!!

Cheers,
Aya

Hi Flo,

I'm interested in khmer lessons.
If you're still looking for people to join, here's my number 089390558

Best

Nicolas

Sounds good to me.

So, Wednesday 18 July? Any ideas for where? And what time? Each bar has different happy hours so the place might dictate the time...

Zoe

Well just for an idea, I've been meaning to go to Elephant Bar (Long happy hour 4-9pm with 2 for 1 cocktails, Monivong Blvd/street 92), but it might be a bit fancy... or Gastrobar Botanico (Happy hour 4-6pm, on street 29 near 294). I haven't been to them so don't know what they're like... happy to go wherever if someone has a place they like...

6.30 sounds good. See u guys there.

OK Cool, see you there on Wednesday.

Elephant Bart at 6.30 sounds good to me as well.
See you guys then :)

Aya

Great. Just so everyone knows and there's no confusion, Elephant Bar is at Raffles Hotel Le Royal here's a link with info...

http://www.travelandleisureasia.com/des … t_bar.html

See you there at 6:30 Wed!

Zoe

Hi,

I have just seen your forum, and would be keen to join in some lessons.  I will join you on Wednesday at the Elephant Bar,

Thanks,

Helen

hey you guys,unfortunately  i can't join u all for dinner BUT i found out aout some classes everyone could benefit from, i just need to gather more detailes.i understood that there would be some khmer classes held for groups and one on one basis, at around 10 dollars per month for a group,and 100 per person for the one on one sessions,  somewhere at the russian market area and the classes are held daily from monday to friday for one hour.
Other people who went to those classes aparently have learned quite a good amout in about 3 months..it sounds interesting to me

<3 Aly

Hi guys

I will be a little late...Sorry!!
Please don't wait for me.
I think I will be there 7 or 7.30pm.

Any evening of the weekday or anytime weekday is good for me.
I just prefer somewhere near BKK1 :)

Many thanks,
see you soon,
Aya

Hi guys, I'm here but can't find the group. The manager of the bar helped me to ask around but seem noone is here?

Hi! Sorry I've been a bit AWOL but what would like to get back in! What was decided for the Khmer lessons?

nothing yet :)))) u havn't missed a thing !

ooh oki

Dear Caroline,
I think you just need to let me know at the FIRST time when i asked to join the class. not after we made all the appointment and let me wasted my time to go there. (and after you accept someone else???)
rgds.