Moving to KL in Aug, Schools and area to live possibly with a dog

HI everyone,

Have been spending heaps of time trying to research on the net, am hoping someone may be ble to give advice.

My husband, myself and three kids ages 5,7 and 9 are moving to KL in August/Sep. My husbands company is paying for schooling and has given us two choices of Alice Smith or ISKL. We are from Oz so not sure which curriculum Is similar to ours. That said I think the Oz system is not that great!

I have called Alice Smith and there are 30 kids ahead of us on the waitlist. Is ISKL still a good school? The area that we will live is of really high importance. We love the hustle and bustle of the city and think would get bored in the suburbs. it's hard to visulise what the burbs would be like in KL. In OZ there is basically not much to do once you get out of a 10km radius of the city. I would love to be able to take the kids out after school, for ice cream/shopping etc. We also eat out a lot and would like to continue to do this in KL.

In you opinion which school Alice Smith or ISKL would allow us to live in a fun bustling environment with restaurants/shops etc. I do like to be involved with the kids schooling and would not like to live ages away.

We are also thinking of taking our dog but again if this affects where we live I will leave her behind with my mum who is happy to have her.

My ideal situation would be to live close to the school and also close to the city with a Dog! Prob asking for too much, Without the dog we were looking at condos in KLCC, we checked out the Pavillion and loved it. If we were to go with the Pavillion apartments would ISKL or Alice Smith be better? I am happy to stay back in Oz until we get a place in Alice Smith if this is the better option.

I hope one of you can help me :) Thanks!

Hi JaneO!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Alice Smith is the most similar. The environment is better too compared to ISKL. Visit both the schools when you are here to know what I mean.

Alice Smith is excellent, but if there are a lot of people ahead of you, you could be waiting a long time.
If you like the Australian schooling system then you could also consider AISM. We send our kids there (although we aren't Australian), the kids love it and we have been generally impressed. The school isn't central, it's out in Serdang, but if you live in central KL, then it would be against the flow of traffic and they do have a school bus.
If you want to live close to the school, then a lot of people at the school live in Gita Bayu, which is beautiful. I've put the web addresses in for both, but you can also pick then up by googling them.

www.aism.edu.myhttp://www.gitabayu.com/

Thank you both for your replies. I will check out aims with the link. Thank you. I do have my heart set on Alice Smith as my husbands work colleagues send their kids there so they will already have a semi network. If I was lucky enought to get Alice Smith what would be the best area to live in?

Hi there, looking at your childrens ages they would go to AS school that's near Mont Kiara, the secondary school is located at Equine Park in Serdang.

So your better off looking for somewhere to live nearer the school, not familiar with Mont Kiara but I've heard the traffic is a nightmare and there are a lot of high rise condos.

Anyway worth having a look yourself to see what you think.

Forgot to add my children start at AISM in October and we're going to live at Gita Bayu.

whybirda wrote:

Forgot to add my children start at AISM in October and we're going to live at Gita Bayu.

You lucky thing, I love Gita Bayu but I just don't like the commute it would involve for me to get to work each day. If you fancy a coffee when you get here Whybirda, do let me know!

The Australian school looks excellent. Thank you so much for the suggestion. Looking at the sports carnival photos in the faction shirts sold me! It will def be an easier transition for them. Am about to get on the ph to find out about availability. JOamelie, where do you work? My husband will be in the city in the towers. Will this be a long commute for him? Does Gitu Bayu have lots of facilities around? Ie shops etc within walking distance. I don't think I will have the nerve to drive!

Just googled it so is Gita Bayu a suburb or A community within a suburb? Will check it out when we come up of course but finding it hard to get my head around it.

I work in Midvalley...not sure if that means anything to you yet? It's on the edge of the city mean Sentral train station.

If you live in Gita Bayu, the commute might be a bit of a pain...lots of traffic coming in. It would probably be 30-40 minutes on a good day, but when the Smart tunnel is closed because of flooding then it could be a couple of hours (this has only happened about 3 times in our 2 years here).

Gita Bayu isn't great for facilities outside GitaBayu...it's a bit in the middle of nowhere. It's not far from Putrajaya or the Mines, but too far to walk. They do have a shuttle bus, or minibus driver that takes people out and about though. I refused to dirve for the first few months, i'm more used to it now. Although I wouldn't say it's a pleasure, you do getused to it.

JaneO wrote:

Just googled it so is Gita Bayu a suburb or A community within a suburb? Will check it out when we come up of course but finding it hard to get my head around it.

It's a gated community. It's situated around a lake in woodland....really lovely. Has a nice pool, restaurant, gym. Great for kids as there's always lots around and they can just ride around on their bikes.

Yes I have to say the driving is putting me off a bit but I'll have to pluck up the courage and do it!!

And Jo yes I'd like to meet up for a coffee, as it would be nice to get to know a bit more about KL and how you've settled in.

We move at the end of August so I'll get in touch once we've settled in :)

Hi u can consider to stay at Maytower at KL City Center. I have a unit. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Well we went up on the weekend and looked at Alice Smith and AISM. We have decided on AISM, the School grounds look great and I feel it will be an easier transition for the boys. We looked at a crazy amount of houses and condos and have decided to live in KLCC. The dog will be looked after by my mum. KL doesn't seem to be a very dog friendly place unfortunately.

Thanks so much for suggesting AISM. The boys will start in term 4 so may see you round :)

[Moderated: Please communicate by PM]

JaneO wrote:

Hi everyone,

Well we went up on the weekend and looked at Alice Smith and AISM. We have decided on AISM, the School grounds look great and I feel it will be an easier transition for the boys. We looked at a crazy amount of houses and condos and have decided to live in KLCC. The dog will be looked after by my mum. KL doesn't seem to be a very dog friendly place unfortunately.

Thanks so much for suggesting AISM. The boys will start in term 4 so may see you round :)

Hi JaneO,
No KL isn't that dog friendly. We have been fostering a dog and found it very hard to find places (other than the streets) to walk it.
Do give me a shout when you get here and we can meet up for a coffee, or just be a friendly face at school.
Good luck for the move!

Hello, my children also start in Term 4 but are a little older than yours, they are 11 & 14. We are moving in just over two weeks time.

Hi all just thought I'd pop in and say hi, I've been here since September last year and I guess you could say have settled in nicely now. I'd be keen to meet anyone for coffee as both my girls are at school so have a lot of free time on my hands. I do belong to MANZA through which I have made heaps of friends but always willing to meet more. =)

Oh Iam very sad. I will leave KL in september  for one or two months holiday:-)
It would be good to meet with you for coffe tell about my experiences in KL.
I have also 2 children . My son have 12 and my daughter 4.
Suburb here it is completely different like in your home. I recommend for you Condominiums. Condominiums are more comfortable, and here you will have a chance to meet with other expats.
Be carefoul with Lakes. It is nice for your eyes, but dangerous and unpleasant. There are lot of mosquitos.

Selamat Datang   Welcome in Kuala Lumpur

Hello again!

The countdown has begun! All of our household goods are in a container and we are in temporary accommodation here in Perth waiting for the flight. We fly up on the 8th of September.

Jo Will def give you a shout out when we get there, Am very nervous but excited at the same time. I hope my boys will be happy, that is my main concern.

Good luck whybirda see you soon!

Thanks Kiwi have heard of Manza and will look into that.

Jane

Gidday jane

welcome to Malaysia . Here all about the International School in Malaysia

International Schools Directory:

http://www.isvillage.com/schools/asia/malaysia/http://www.aism.edu.my/

The Australian International School Malaysia (AISM) is the first and only International School in Malaysia offering an Australian Curriculum, delivered by Australian teachers, and following the Australian school year.

http://www.malaysiacentral.com/educatio … /about-us/http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c … an_int.htm

Damansara or tropicana  is nice place to stay very closed by to Cinema ,grocery store , parks , bowling center  , Ikea, Tesco ,huge malls everything is under one roof , train station and others. Your kiddos will love Damansara i bet.
British school in damansara is good .

International Schools  Damansara :

http://www.cempaka.edu.my/index_damansara.htmlhttp://www.srikdu.edu.my/about_srikdu.htm

ww.britishschool.edu.my/home/InternationalSchool/en/

Let me know if you need any help . I can show you around Damansara area

[Moderated: Please communicate by PM]

Hi
Are there a lot of mosquitos in Gita bayu? It looks like a great place for children but i am worried about the mosquitos.

We will be moving June this year and are thinking to send our 6 year old daughter to AISM. My work will be at KL Sentral so i was planning to take the train from Serdang. Is that do-able?

Thanks for your help.

Frank

Living in Pavillion is convenient but I suggest that you live at Gita Bayu where it is away from the city and lovely for the kids to grow up. Pavillion is just a mall and after awhile all the glitter of a concrete forest would bore you and more of a distraction.

Hi Frank,

We've been living in Gita Bayu for 3 months now and have had no problem with mosquitos, our house backs on to the little lake. It is a great place for the kids, very social.

The train is definitely doable. My husband often takes the train from Serdang to KL Sentral. He prefers the train to peak hour traffic. The train departs every 15 minutes and takes about 20 minutes.

Good luck with your move.

Thanks DeeDee, that's very helpful. Exactly the info i was looking for. So the KTM is not jammed with people during rush hour in the morning?

Frank

I have a friend who has lived in Gita Bayu with his family for several years. It reminds me of East Malaysia where I was brought up in the 60s and 70s. A beautiful place to stay.

Hubby says sometimes he can't get a seat on the train but there's always plenty of standing room. The carriages are fairly new so in good condition.

Hello Jane0, If you are looking for a condo near KLCC, there are severals, the hampshire is a nice place, pavillion has its own condos and others. Unfortunately, most of them do not allow pets, unless you plan to sneak him in. Anyway if you need help to find a condo, perhaps you can send me some details or criteria at [email protected]. I am more than happy to find one for you. Here is one of the housing that rented out to Australia gitabayu.com

I hear that many of the expats living in Gita Bayu have flexible working hours. They leave home at 6:30 am and get to their office in KL within 20 minutes using the Sg Besi highway, and are home again by about 4 pm.

The Mines is a mall close to Gita Bayu. More shopping, vets, pet shops, etc. are available in the nearby town of Balakong. There's even a new Starbucks nearby :-)

Hi, I am also an Aussie moving to KL in April 2013 my children will also be going to AISM.  We are also looking at living at Gita Bayu gated community.  If you are up for coffee some time would be great.  Would love some advice about KL

I love to meet new people :-)  my hubby and I are both Aussies from Brisbane area our children are 6 and 9 months.

Would love to hear from you..

Diana.

welcome Diana to malaysia

I am not there yet I get there in April but thanks for the early welcome :-)..

Hi Diana,

I live in Gita Bayu with my family. Kids go to AISM.
There's lots of your families around here, even a play group that meets once a week, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

If there's anything I can help you wih please let me know.

Jenni

Hi Jenni,

Thanks so much for you message :-)  It is so nice to meet you.  I was wondering what it is like living there?  Is it safe? I was wondering about formulas and cows milk there?  I am assuming they are safe?

Yay playgroup great and my daughter will love the interaction with the kids for sure.

Thanks for your help and keep in touch.

Diana.

Hi,

This is our 3rd week in KL and still undecided on where to settle.  My 6yr old son goes to AISM and i've just been driving him to and from school since we are still awaiting advise on school bus spot for him (???)

What other option is there aside from Gita Bayu?  My husband's work is in Bandar Utama.  Anyone living in Bandar Utama or Damansara area and what's it like?  Been to Gita Bayu, but couldn't handle the mossies :(