Is salary enough to live?

Hi,
I've accepted a job offer in Kuwait as Head of Year 4 but I'm just worried that the salary may not be enough to live on as I'm a single father with a very expensive 16 year old son. I've been teaching for the Department of Education in Australia for the last 25 years. I also hold a Bachelor of Arts, MA in Education and of course a teaching certificate.

Package is exactly as follows:

·         Basic Salary: KD 800

·         Accommodation:  Two bedroom furnished apartment

·         Monthly Post Allowance: KD 75 (for 10 months / Sept till June of each year)

·         Annual return Ticket to home country

·         A one way ticket for your son (Sydney – Kuwait) at the commencement of your contract. If    your employment with us continues for 2 years and over, then your son will be eligible for a one way ticket (Kuwait – Sydney) at the end of your service.

·         School Fees Discount for your children registered in all our schools: 75%

·         School Laptop

·         Indemnity: 15 days for each year of service in the school (paid at the end of service).

All help is greatly appreciated.

Please, Anyone? Any help is greatly appreciated!

technically you're getting paid 1,100 since they are offering accommodation, the amount is not shabby. you can easily live off of it and save a plenty.

browse through the forum at other cost of living posts and u will find detailed breakdowns of expenses etc. the only thing they have not mentioned is transportation. if u opt for a leased car, that's 100KD, food will run you 200, so u are saving 500KD a month (1,000AU$). tax free.

as a former accountant, i'd revise your indemnity. it depends upon duration of service, Kuwait labor law dictates that it is after a period of 5 years.

for "normal" employees who get a 30-day paid leave per year, our indemnity is 30 days of every year of employment after 5 years. I am guessing since teachers are off for 2 or 3 months a year for Summer, you're pay scale is different.

Any other teachers in the house willing to divulge their indemnity? come on people don't be shy ^^

Thanks' so much for replying! Knowing that really gives me peace of mind.

don't worry your package is very good and you can save more than 300 or 400

legacy wrote:

as a former accountant, i'd revise your indemnity. it depends upon duration of service, Kuwait labor law dictates that it is after a period of 5 years.

for "normal" employees who get a 30-day paid leave per year, our indemnity is 30 days of every year of employment after 5 years. I am guessing since teachers are off for 2 or 3 months a year for Summer, you're pay scale is different.

Any other teachers in the house willing to divulge their indemnity? come on people don't be shy ^^

Yeah. I will step up to your challenge. My package states "indemnity according to Kuwait labor law," which I took to mean that it would be 30 days a year after five years. When I researched it, I found the following:

http://www.arabtimesonline.com/NewsDeta … fault.aspx

Maybe his employer is citing its intentions for the first year, since teachers are contracted yearly?

crittle73 wrote:
legacy wrote:

Yeah. I will step up to your challenge. My package states "indemnity according to Kuwait labor law," which I took to mean that it would be 30 days a year after five years. When I researched it, I found the following:

http://www.arabtimesonline.com/NewsDeta … fault.aspx

Maybe his employer is citing its intentions for the first year, since teachers are contracted yearly?

Thanks, from the website you've provided I can see that the Indemnity provided seems to be normal. Thanks again to everyone for being so supportive.

Its a reasonable salary and as mentioned by others, you would be able to save some ! However, do check on the furnished accommodation front (location, distance from work etc. locality etc etc.)

A car is a must have and you can get a reasonable one by paying 75 KD onwards per month.

Best wishes

Well yes, I'm still keenly waiting to know where the apartment is located. I've heard a lot of things about the good areas to live in. So I'll just have to wait and see.