Does gender affect visa applications?

Hi there,

Apologies If someone has asked something similar but I am getting a bit confused with the sponsorship requirements for entry into the UAE to work. I am aware that my fiancé and I have to be married in order to reside together in Dubai, but can I find employment and sponsor him to get a job? Or does it have to be the other way round? He works in sales and has for ten years, whilst I am a qualified dental hygienist so I thought since my education level is technically higher it might make more sense for me to look for employment first, but to be honest I am a bit confused!!
Doing some research it looks like he has to get sponsorship then give me permission to work, is that right? I don't want to be attempting to do this the wrong way round so any advice would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance :-)

Hello Jldsince83.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you can read these articles on Visas in United Arab Emirates.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Either spouse can sponsor the other, providing they meet the immigration requirements.

Hi there,

Are you talking about sponsorship before or after you get married?

If it's after you get married it doesn't matter, your spouse (male or female...as long as its not a same sex relationship) will automatically get a residency visa through through the employed partners employer. Yes technically a husband is supposed to sign-off saying it's ok for their wife to drive/work, for most westerners this isn't an issue.

If it's before you get married, neither of you can sponsor each other. Unfortunately you can only sponsor an immediate family member, not friends or cousins or non-married partners.

When one of you gets a job the other can come on a visitor's visa and although technically illegal, as long as you don't rub it in peoples faces, you can get away with living/staying together.   If you're looking for a job it's best to be in country and depending on nationality, you may be able to just do visa runs (for the non-employed person) to renew your tourist visa until you find a job and get sponsorship through your own employer.  You need a residency visa in order to rent an apartment here so it's better if one of you has a job before you decide to move but it should be easier for the second person to find a job while here.

Hope this helps.

e.

Good first post, Nire