Help needed regarding life partner permit

Hi my name is Matt, and I currently live in the UK, where I was born. My girlfriend of 4 1/2 years is South African and moved back a couple of years ago. I stayed in the UK to study, now that i am finished I hope to move out to South Africa, and a life partner permit (LPP) seems the most appropriate to me. However, I seem to keep finding conflicting reports on how to orchestrate this. I hope someone can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-I have been with my girlfriend for 4 1/2 years, though want to apply for a temporary visa with an LLP. We have no documents to show that we have lived together or shared financial responsibility, the only proof of relationship I have are photos, letters and the aeroplane tickets I bought to visit her (I stayed with her during my visit). Is this sufficient for an LLP? if not, what is my best alternative to move to South Africa?

-Assuming the LPP is granted, does it allow me to work? do i need a job offer prior to LPP being granted?

many thanks

Hi Matt
I have sent a message to you inbox with some (hopefully) helpful info!
Deb

Hi Matt

For the LPP it is very important to have proof of cohabitation, without that you will not be able to get the LPP, proof can be official letters send to you and your GF on the same address, it can be leases or testimony from a landlord etc. Shared financial responsibility is not so important, you must both show that you have means to support yourself and each other, and then you can just write a letter stating that you share the financial responsibility, and pledge to support each other financially and emotionally.

You will not be able to work on a LPP alone, you are going to need a work endorsement, (which is easy to get if you first have the LPP)  However you must have a job offer before you can apply for the endorsement, and the endorsement only applies to that specific job.

If you cannot find any proof of cohabitation, you could try and apply for a work visa, you would be able to get that if your skills and education is needed in S.A. it does require a lot of effort from you and your employer, but if you have the right qualifications it could be worth it.

Otherwise you could try a volunteer visa, get some cohabitation with your GF and then apply for the LPP a bit later. A volunteer visa is relatively easy to get, you must just get an organization to write a letter of “employment” and then off course you need to volunteer there.

Good luck with it, and please keep in mind that if you apply for anything from S.A. home affaires takes a very long time. It took me 9 months to get my LPP, and all the while I was not allowed to work, study, conduct business and travelling in and out of S.A. was very difficult.

Regards Sarah

Hi Matt,

I am French and my -now husband- is south african. i studied in Jo'burg for 4 years but then when I stopped I didn't know what visa to get (I was on a study permit up until then) work permit is simply too difficult and extremely expensive to get. I thought about life partner permit since we had plenty of proof of our 6 years long relationship but in the end we got married and now I have a spousal permit. That was the easiest route, really. And we're having the "real" ceremony in November this year anyway so it wasn't a big deal. Please if you need help, use the same company as I did. It's called Intergate immigration. they're amazing!!! it's a little pricey but they do all the annoying work for you.

Hope this helped

Kind regards and best of luck

Camille
livinginvalleyroad.wordpress.com