New Member - Ethiopia (Metehara)

Hi everyone!

I have just been offered a job in Ethiopia but it is not in Addis. It's in Metehara.

Does anyone know about this place and if there is a thriving expat community out there? I cannot seem to find anything on the internet - and if there is information; it is very little and not as good as this forum provides.

I have been in the UK for a long time and understand that things will be different but just thought I would introduce myself and see what other members think.

Please be open - I welcome any viewpoints on the country and the town as this will be a big move.

Thank you in advance.

K

Hello Katyiona.

Welcome to Expat.com!

Aurélie

Thank you Aurélie! :)

This small  town is located 192 kms away east of Addis Ababa.It has electricity and water supply.But Internet Cafes are not available.There are  also  telecommunication and bank services.The town is surrounded by villages in which the oromo people live.The town has got a lake and a sugar factory.In the rural area, Afan Oromo is spoken where as in the urban area Amharic is spoken.Awash park is found east of the town though it is far.

Hi Katyiona

Don't know whether you found what you have been looking for, but in the interim try the  the Lonely Planet Guide: Africa (12th Edition ISBN 978-1-7-74104-988-6 USD36.99) as this guide have tons of lots of information that is factual, up to date and relevant.

Also, highly recommended is Bradt Guides (bradtguides.com/Book/568/Ethiopia.html) which is an exhaustive resource of very factual and  current information on Ethiopia (probably the best there is). I see the Ethiopia Guide (6th Edition) is only due in September 2012 (ISBN: 9781841624143) but ISBN: 9781841622842 is available and is a comprehensive resource.

Hope this helps.