Did you move o Cuenca alone?

In January 2012, I visited Cuenca with my boyfriend and we planned to move there next month (July 2012).  However, in April my boyfriend died suddenly and my plans are on hold.  I do not have trouble meeting people, but wonder if moving there alone would be difficult or lonely.  We met some wonderful, friendly expats and Ecuadorians when we were there, but I'm not sure that'd be enough.  I need girl friends too!! 

Would love to hear experiences from people who've moved to Cuenca alone and the ease (or difficulty) of settling in.

Thanks,
Clover

Clover,
Firstly, I'm sorry for your loss. It is a profound life changing event, the loss of a loved one. But, I think I see that you are a person that is interested in pursuing life, and new adventures. Your boyfriend obviously had the same intrests in life, and I'm sure that he would want you to persue the intrests you both shared.
You sound like you are together, you'll meet ton's of women that will be good friends, and supportive.
Best Wishes in your new life.

I am going at it alone, I am wheels up Aug. 6th.  Have met 3 other families and we are all heading to Loja and her villages.  We are all very excited and will all arrive within 3 months of each other.

Why Loja?

What's the attraction here..?

Is this better then  Quito / Cuenca ?

Anecdotal, but it does seem to me that there are a number of people that are single here.  I would think that at the beginning it could be more difficult (I'm married) but once you met people it should be much better.  Why not try it for a month and see?

Loja better... Quito is a big city.  Cuenca might be easier to make froends because of the ex-pat population.  Loja is smaller than Cuenca with no where near the ex-pat population.  Loja is a pretty city from what I have seen but no real idea of what life is like there.

We lived in Quito (work) from 2006 till 2010.  We had a good time there.  From 2011 till now we live in Cuenca.  In May-June I was back in Quito to do some training.  Wondered how I lasted there.  So to me better is really subjective...

Mike

Myself and 3 families are all locatings in Loja in sister villages and we will all be there by Oct.  We have all made friends with each other and are looking forward to our new friendships.  I just do not want as single female to be in Quito, to much crime.  I will be close enough to Cuenca to go in and do what I need to do.  I have a facebook page for my move it is at https://www.facebook.com/#!/Ecuador.expat.visitor.info.

Dear Tango:

May I add, that you are never alone.  Seek and you shall find it.  I am a recently a single female myself, and have already made female friends who have 'jumped the river', and made friends with those who will be 'making the jump' soon.  I will be moving there soon, November of this year for me.  Right now my plan is to temporarily live in Cuenca while exploring this beautiful country for my soul location!  I welcome you as a single female friend moving to EC!!

Diane

Diane,
Thank you and know that, the group of friends that we are all getting with in 3 months of each other are all spiritual beings.  With that being said most will refer to us as hippies LOL.  We all also know that this is all happening for a reason.  This is a very special year for all of spiritual hippie people.  We are meant to be together at this time and we are excited.  Now with having that said my original destination was to be Quito but I was picking up on bad energy there and knew that was not where I was meant to be.  The universe will let you know when you are to know.  BTW I am an intuitive empath and white light energy healer.  LOL now you can go ahead and laugh, she is a hippie <3  Peace Love and Light sweetie <3

evcs wrote:

Have you considered Vilcabamba?

Vilcabamba, Ecuador

You might find it to your liking.

Vilcabamba is nice, but note at the bottom of the Wiki page the "changing environment" paragraph.  I work with Loja natives and they have told me that the people of Vilcabamba are tired of foreigners moving there.

As ex-pats moving to another country, it is important to blend with the country and not to try to change it.  Ex-pats are changing it b/c they will pay whatever for property and it prices the natives out of the market. 

Be considerate of the locals and negotiate a reasonable price for anything you purchase.  Don't try to make Ecuador like your home country, but enjoy Ecuador as it is.  Unspoiled and laid back!

I see all these post of people moving overseas. I'd love to move to Eucador, but don't know how I could pay my living expenses.  How does anyone afford to live there unless your of retirement age and living on your retirement benefits.  I am late forties and don't know how to make my dreams a reality.  I don't have retirement benefits like most of these people and starting a blog to generate income that others have suggested takes time.

dillclop wrote:

As ex-pats moving to another country, it is important to blend with the country and not to try to change it.  Ex-pats are changing it b/c they will pay whatever for property and it prices the natives out of the market. 

Be considerate of the locals and negotiate a reasonable price for anything you purchase.  Don't try to make Ecuador like your home country, but enjoy Ecuador as it is.  Unspoiled and laid back!

According to some of the latest reporting, more expats are moving here but they are called "economic refugees" who have little money to pay high rents or buy houses.  The increase of the cost of living is more due to those nationals returning from Europe and the US who are both willing and able to pay for what they want. 

There are two homes for sale in the area where I live.  Both have doubled in price from what the owners bought them a few years ago.  While they haven't sold, they have not reduced the price.  Obviously they believe they can get the asking price.

The expat population of Cuenca is less than 1% of the total population.  We would have to be an economic powerhouse to so negatively impact on the local economy.  Cost of living increases are much more complex.